There are 298 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by THEB:
Baalke has been preparing for this day to come. We already have or are set to acquire all the replacements for the guys we lost, and some of them are better than who we lost.

Frank Gore - He will be replaced with a tandem of Hyde and Hunter (if hunter can recover from the injury) I firmly believe that even if we just had Hyde, it will be a slight improvement in speed and stamina. We will lose a team leader, but whos to say Carlos cant step into that role until he has the chance to?

Justin Smith - He wasnt great by any means last year, and we have Dockett coming in to help solidify the d line.

Patrick Willis - I can confidently say that Borland is better than Pat right now. Pat was obviously better in his prime, but right now is what counts, and what Borland did last year was spectacular.

Michael Crabtree - Bringing in Torrey Smith will be a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree, who most of us are ready to let go of.

Jim Harbaugh and Staff - Jim & staff are seriously the only loss that im not confident we have replaced with equal or better talent, but i have to hold judgement until i see Tomsulas staff perform.

Dam Dog your smoking some good s**t... Pass that over here!
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
To me it seemed like Pat was lacking passion the last few years. He wasn't the same. Maybe it was the toe but it sure seemed more like heart. This all makes sense now. Seems like the same issue with Vern.

Yeah, the debunk, NFLN noted that not only was his toe still jacked up, his other foot was too. He came back and tried to work out here and the body didn't respond. He didn't feel he could get back to 100%.

Also, like the Browns inquiring about Harbaugh, "another teams called and inquired about CK" and Baalke shut it down instantly. He didn't even entertain it. But someone leaked out that story. Do we have mole in-house?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You make some good points...and I'll bang Baalke's gong, too. He's done a terrific job to prepare for something like this. Dockett was a purely windfall signing, but TB was johnny-on-the-spot to make it happen. If Justin decides to hang up his cleats, Dockett will most likely assume a leadership role. Baalke has to plan for Justin not being there...so he may sign a vet DL and/or draft a stud. With his signing of Simpson and tomorrow Torrey Smith, he doesn't need to worry about drafting a WR in the 1st round, IMHO. With Gore gone, I'm thinking he could take a RB early...I really don't think he's all that serious WRT Adrian Peterson. My personal favorite is Ajayi, because he's an excellent all-around RB and receiver. As for Willis' retirement, I'm still wrapping my brain around that one, but again, Baalke prepared for this by drafting Borland last year. We all saw what a stud he is...he'll need to learn coverage, but he's a terrific player and that shouldn't be a big problem for him. Wilhoite will still figure prominently in the ILB rotation/b/u and Moody showed some nice speed when he got PT last year, too. So, last year was really the preparation for what's happening now. My head's still spinning...but the point is while the team will feel the loss of these two great warriors, the depth is there to deal with it. Baalke has the means to address any shortfalls and I have confidence he'll do just that.

I agree with all of this. Today stings but change isn't always for the worse. And actually we are getting younger now. The signings and losses have actually added some flexibility to what we can do now. Shoot folks, its the NFL, enjoy the show!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You make some good points...and I'll bang Baalke's gong, too. He's done a terrific job to prepare for something like this. Dockett was a purely windfall signing, but TB was johnny-on-the-spot to make it happen. If Justin decides to hang up his cleats, Dockett will most likely assume a leadership role. Baalke has to plan for Justin not being there...so he may sign a vet DL and/or draft a stud. With his signing of Simpson and tomorrow Torrey Smith, he doesn't need to worry about drafting a WR in the 1st round, IMHO. With Gore gone, I'm thinking he could take a RB early...I really don't think he's all that serious WRT Adrian Peterson. My personal favorite is Ajayi, because he's an excellent all-around RB and receiver. As for Willis' retirement, I'm still wrapping my brain around that one, but again, Baalke prepared for this by drafting Borland last year. We all saw what a stud he is...he'll need to learn coverage, but he's a terrific player and that shouldn't be a big problem for him. Wilhoite will still figure prominently in the ILB rotation/b/u and Moody showed some nice speed when he got PT last year, too. So, last year was really the preparation for what's happening now. My head's still spinning...but the point is while the team will feel the loss of these two great warriors, the depth is there to deal with it. Baalke has the means to address any shortfalls and I have confidence he'll do just that.

I agree with all of this. Today stings but change isn't always for the worse. And actually we are getting younger now. The signings and losses have actually added some flexibility to what we can do now. Shoot folks, its the NFL, enjoy the show!

Here is one more way of looking at it. Outside of D.Walker (who left to become a featured TE and for the big $), name ONE player that we have lost over the past 5 years that we didn't equally replace or in fact, WIN in the transaction?
Originally posted by NCommand:
To me it seemed like Pat was lacking passion the last few years. He wasn't the same. Maybe it was the toe but it sure seemed more like heart. This all makes sense now. Seems like the same issue with Vern.

Yeah, the debunk, NFLN noted that not only was his toe still jacked up, his other foot was too. He came back and tried to work out here and the body didn't respond. He didn't feel he could get back to 100%.

Also, like the Browns inquiring about Harbaugh, "another teams called and inquired about CK" and Baalke shut it down instantly. He didn't even entertain it. But someone leaked out that story. Do we have mole in-house?

It actually seemed like the arrival of Bowman brought on the decline of Pat. Like he wasn't "the guy" anymore and didn't care to be. There was "fire" missing from his play. Those toe injuries suck. I dealt with a more minor turf toe and it took almost a year to get over it. Pat has always been brittle (broken bones) so the fact that he has had trouble recovering doesn't surprise me. I wish him the best. He's a good man and he's walking away while he can for the right reasons. Can't blame him one bit. He doesn't need to answer to anyone but his teammates and if they are cool with it, so am I.

Watching Frank go is like watching Ronnie and Roger walk. Joe too. It broke my heart but we needed to move on.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
yes we need to move on and i think we will be a sound football team, but now in the last two hours comes word justin is not for sure, willis has not filed papers and now gore may not sign with philly, my head hurts
16-0
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I admire your optimism.

We're screwed.

This
I am excited to see what happens but I'm realistic and know a team can't lose these pro bowlers or are expected to lose and think we will be better without them.. Bowman, sad to say but don't expect the same bowman. That leaves us with trying to make a splash free agency wise and draft, let's get there but to say we won't skip a beat next year? That would be reaching at this point.

• GORO
  • Veteran
JED YORK is running things and we will win with class while he gets richer.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
I am excited to see what happens but I'm realistic and know a team can't lose these pro bowlers or are expected to lose and think we will be better without them.. Bowman, sad to say but don't expect the same bowman. That leaves us with trying to make a splash free agency wise and draft, let's get there but to say we won't skip a beat next year? That would be reaching at this point.

We lost pro bowlers from last year? Former pro bowlers?

Gore, Justin and Willis?
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 9, 2015 at 4:36 PM ]

It actually seemed like the arrival of Bowman brought on the decline of Pat. Like he wasn't "the guy" anymore and didn't care to be. There was "fire" missing from his play. Those toe injuries suck. I dealt with a more minor turf toe and it took almost a year to get over it. Pat has always been brittle (broken bones) so the fact that he has had trouble recovering doesn't surprise me. I wish him the best. He's a good man and he's walking away while he can for the right reasons. Can't blame him one bit. He doesn't need to answer to anyone but his teammates and if they are cool with it, so am I.

Watching Frank go is like watching Ronnie and Roger walk. Joe too. It broke my heart but we needed to move on.

Totally agree!
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:

We lost pro bowlers from last year? Former pro bowlers?

Gore, Justin and Willis?

Gore and Justin alone brings something to the table that if lost, whether it's being their time or not is a huge loss. In the locker room and on the field. I don't think skip a beat is my chose of words when you lose these 2 alone. One would think losing them would hurt a team.
I think the wilhoite comes off the trade blocks and the combo of him and Borland plus the 7 mil in cap space we get to spend some place else will be able to replace Willis. We should be able to sign a really good corner or use our first round pick on a stud DE or OLB to make up the short fall. It's not just what we're losing. Getting Borland time to get his 10 tackles a game is important and saving 7 mil at the Ted spot is important!
Share 49ersWebzone