There are 260 users in the forums

We wont miss a step, and here's why...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Janitor:

this
welp...stevie johnson is officially released
Dockett is 33 years old coming off an ACL injury. I'm going to stop short of saying he can replace Smith there's some big ifs there.

It's really going to come down to Bowman's health. Borland and Wilhote held up last year but I wouldn't bank on an encore performance. New D coordinator and they over played but as surrounding talent dips so will they.

As much as I love Gore I think we'll be better on offense though with his absence. Personally I think you're better off with a stable of different style backs who you can matchup against your opponent.

Crabtree and Torrey Smith are both above average receivers but Smith will be a better fit here because he compliments Boldin, Johnson, and Davis more. No more having the TE as the deep threat.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I admire your optimism.

We're screwed.

I should dig up some our Nolan posts from the day.

We have been through much worse my friend.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Dockett is 33 years old coming off an ACL injury. I'm going to stop short of saying he can replace Smith there's some big ifs there.

It's really going to come down to Bowman's health. Borland and Wilhote held up last year but I wouldn't bank on an encore performance. New D coordinator and they over played but as surrounding talent dips so will they.

As much as I love Gore I think we'll be better on offense though with his absence. Personally I think you're better off with a stable of different style backs who you can matchup against your opponent.

Crabtree and Torrey Smith are both above average receivers but Smith will be a better fit here because he compliments Boldin, Johnson, and Davis more. No more having the TE as the deep threat.

I love Hyde as starter, but I worry about the backup, not sold on Hunter being back 100%, 2 serious injures last 2 years is bad.

Dockett is coming off an ACL injury, I expect good but not great from him. Hopefully he is recovered soon.

I love Smith signing. Crabs was so overrated.

Losing Willis and JSmith hurts big time. Not sure if Bow will be 100%, ACL and MCL injury.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I love Hyde as starter, but I worry about the backup, not sold on Hunter being back 100%, 2 serious injures last 2 years is bad.

Dockett is coming off an ACL injury, I expect good but not great from him. Hopefully he is recovered soon.

I love Smith signing. Crabs was so overrated.

Losing Willis and JSmith hurts big time. Not sure if Bow will be 100%, ACL and MCL injury.

Agreed with everything you said. I'd just like to get a receiving back in the rotation. That's something NE really exposed against Seattle. May not be able to run against their front all of the time but if that's not working pass it out on the flats and make the lb tackle in the open field.
We've got a lot of young guys who can hopefully step up. Going into 2011 Bowman, McDonald, Rogers (CB), Brown, Whitner, Brooks, even Goldson and Anthony Davis were all unproven and it worked out pretty well for us. That doesn't guarantee anything but we should keep it in mind.
@ OP: The problem I have with you and others being so optimistic is that the guys replacing the players that are being Lost are young and green. They could turn out to be studs but they could also be crap.

Borland did well but he's no Willis. He has a lot to learn.
Tank, who knows...
Hyde showed flashes but Gore played better last year.
Dockett is good but is coming off of an injury.

All the players we are losing were pro-bowlers/ potential HOF.
We knew what we had in them. Even if the all took one step back, we still had a roster of studs.

Teams also need time to learn playbooks and play alongside one another to be cohesive and get in sync. If it was just Jimmy T. and his staff that would be one thing but it's new OC, new DC, Head coach, etc... New RB, new DE's, new ILB's, possibly new wr's, and these are just the starters on the team...

A lot of change has happened and good players and coaches aren't easily replaced just like that.
I read these boards and people act like we just lost three 25 year old prime of their career players. We lost some leadership but Frank Gore is on fumes. No way do you bring him back for 7.5 million dollars guaranteed. The jury is still out on Justin Smiths retirement but he'll be 36 in September and only played 60% of the snaps last year. He simply does not provide much pass rush anymore. Willis hasn't played a full season since 2012 and we don't know how the toe is going to respond. Our situation isn't near as bleak as some fans are making it out to be.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on Mar 9, 2015 at 3:50 PM ]
You make some good points...and I'll bang Baalke's gong, too. He's done a terrific job to prepare for something like this. Dockett was a purely windfall signing, but TB was johnny-on-the-spot to make it happen. If Justin decides to hang up his cleats, Dockett will most likely assume a leadership role. Baalke has to plan for Justin not being there...so he may sign a vet DL and/or draft a stud. With his signing of Simpson and tomorrow Torrey Smith, he doesn't need to worry about drafting a WR in the 1st round, IMHO. With Gore gone, I'm thinking he could take a RB early...I really don't think he's all that serious WRT Adrian Peterson. My personal favorite is Ajayi, because he's an excellent all-around RB and receiver. As for Willis' retirement, I'm still wrapping my brain around that one, but again, Baalke prepared for this by drafting Borland last year. We all saw what a stud he is...he'll need to learn coverage, but he's a terrific player and that shouldn't be a big problem for him. Wilhoite will still figure prominently in the ILB rotation/b/u and Moody showed some nice speed when he got PT last year, too. So, last year was really the preparation for what's happening now. My head's still spinning...but the point is while the team will feel the loss of these two great warriors, the depth is there to deal with it. Baalke has the means to address any shortfalls and I have confidence he'll do just that.

Originally posted by mtl_49er:
Originally posted by THEB:
Baalke has been preparing for this day to come. We already have or are set to acquire all the replacements for the guys we lost, and some of them are better than who we lost.

Frank Gore - He will be replaced with a tandem of Hyde and Hunter (if hunter can recover from the injury) I firmly believe that even if we just had Hyde, it will be a slight improvement in speed and stamina. We will lose a team leader, but whos to say Carlos cant step into that role until he has the chance to?

Justin Smith - He wasnt great by any means last year, and we have Dockett coming in to help solidify the d line.

Patrick Willis - I can confidently say that Borland is better than Pat right now. Pat was obviously better in his prime, but right now is what counts, and what Borland did last year was spectacular.

Michael Crabtree - Bringing in Torrey Smith will be a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree, who most of us are ready to let go of.

Jim Harbaugh and Staff - Jim & staff are seriously the only loss that im not confident we have replaced with equal or better talent, but i have to hold judgement until i see Tomsulas staff perform.

no. Willis when healthy is incredible. Borland is solid, but small and not great in coverage.
I'm still not certain he will be better than Wilhoite.

This. Chris Borland is a solid starting linebacker, but to say he replaces Patrick Willis? I buy Carlos Hyde replacing Frank Gore (because of his skill set) before I buy Borland replacing Willis. And now we have to take a look at ILB early in the draft. Perhaps Michael "Kevin" Wilhoite stays now?
Our losses will hurt but we will be okay. Smith was solid at best last year but nothing special. Dockett is a better pass rusher and although he is suspect vs the run, we will be okay with his addition and Dorsey coming back. We will also add another player in the draft who will most likely get some solid time.

Willis missed a big chunk, Bowman did as well yet Whilhoit and Borland stepped right in and our defense was still dominant despite not changing anything from a schematics point. I think with Bowman coming back, Borland or Whilhoit will be better than they were last year playing beside him.

Gore leaving hurts but Hyde was drafted to take over and is more than capable of doing so. He adds more speed to the position and will be solid next to a speed back that I'm thinking we add.

Our defense can drop to 10 or so as long as our offense gets better and it starts with adding and actually USING speedy players. Smith is an upgrade from a scheme point over Crabtree and we know we are in position to add a top talent in the draft.

The biggest drop off is leadership, not necessarily talent because when healthy, we have the deepest roster in football.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
You make some good points...and I'll bang Baalke's gong, too. He's done a terrific job to prepare for something like this. Dockett was a purely windfall signing, but TB was johnny-on-the-spot to make it happen. If Justin decides to hang up his cleats, Dockett will most likely assume a leadership role. Baalke has to plan for Justin not being there...so he may sign a vet DL and/or draft a stud. With his signing of Simpson and tomorrow Torrey Smith, he doesn't need to worry about drafting a WR in the 1st round, IMHO. With Gore gone, I'm thinking he could take a RB early...I really don't think he's all that serious WRT Adrian Peterson. My personal favorite is Ajayi, because he's an excellent all-around RB and receiver. As for Willis' retirement, I'm still wrapping my brain around that one, but again, Baalke prepared for this by drafting Borland last year. We all saw what a stud he is...he'll need to learn coverage, but he's a terrific player and that shouldn't be a big problem for him. Wilhoite will still figure prominently in the ILB rotation/b/u and Moody showed some nice speed when he got PT last year, too. So, last year was really the preparation for what's happening now. My head's still spinning...but the point is while the team will feel the loss of these two great warriors, the depth is there to deal with it. Baalke has the means to address any shortfalls and I have confidence he'll do just that.

Well done Corv.

For last year:
Can we replace 1,100 yards rushing (Gore)?
Can we replace 700 yards receiving (Crabtree)?
Can we replace a 1-trick pony LG (power pull-guard)?
Can we replace 43 tackles and 5 sacks (Justin)?
Can we replace 34 tackles (Willis)?

No question! Can we replace the leadership? That remains to be seen.

Also, while focused on the "losses" don't forget about the experience the rookies got last year AND the 18 players coming back from I.R. plus the moves we already made pre-FA.
To me it seemed like Pat was lacking passion the last few years. He wasn't the same. Maybe it was the toe but it sure seemed more like heart. This all makes sense now. Seems like the same issue with Vern.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by mtl_49er:
Originally posted by THEB:
Baalke has been preparing for this day to come. We already have or are set to acquire all the replacements for the guys we lost, and some of them are better than who we lost.

Frank Gore - He will be replaced with a tandem of Hyde and Hunter (if hunter can recover from the injury) I firmly believe that even if we just had Hyde, it will be a slight improvement in speed and stamina. We will lose a team leader, but whos to say Carlos cant step into that role until he has the chance to?

Justin Smith - He wasnt great by any means last year, and we have Dockett coming in to help solidify the d line.

Patrick Willis - I can confidently say that Borland is better than Pat right now. Pat was obviously better in his prime, but right now is what counts, and what Borland did last year was spectacular.

Michael Crabtree - Bringing in Torrey Smith will be a HUGE upgrade over Crabtree, who most of us are ready to let go of.

Jim Harbaugh and Staff - Jim & staff are seriously the only loss that im not confident we have replaced with equal or better talent, but i have to hold judgement until i see Tomsulas staff perform.

no. Willis when healthy is incredible. Borland is solid, but small and not great in coverage.
I'm still not certain he will be better than Wilhoite.

This. Chris Borland is a solid starting linebacker, but to say he replaces Patrick Willis? I buy Carlos Hyde replacing Frank Gore (because of his skill set) before I buy Borland replacing Willis. And now we have to take a look at ILB early in the draft. Perhaps Michael "Kevin" Wilhoite stays now?

That's b/c you are envisioning the lost players at their PEAKS...not in reality today.
Share 49ersWebzone