1. Ray Lewis
2. Patrick Willis
3. Dick Butkus
4. Jack Lambert
5. Mike Singletary
Honorable Mention: Junior Seau

Junior was an OLB.
[ Edited by KID9R on Mar 14, 2015 at 10:47 AM ]
No one will ever be able to create a list that satisfies all. Here's one that Athlon Sports published:

1. Ray Lewis
  2. Jack Lambert
  3. Dick Butkus
  4. Ray Nitschke
  5. Mike Singletary
  6. Bill George
  7. Junior Seau
  8. Chuck Bednarik
  9. Nick Buoniconti
  10. Brian Urlacher

All these guys were great players but Willis will be at, or near, the top. The modern MLB who can run with WRs and hammer the fullback over the middle is really much improved over the early guys. Ask Butkus or Nitschke to run with a WR or even a fast TE and they wouldn't be able to be nearly as good as Willis.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure he played long enough to make it to Canton. :(
"When you get a chance to hit somebody, you hit em', YOU PUNISH THEM! YOU HEAR ME?! YOU PUNISH THEM!!!"

My favorite Patrick Willis quote.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
No one will ever be able to create a list that satisfies all. Here's one that Athlon Sports published:

1. Ray Lewis
  2. Jack Lambert
  3. Dick Butkus
  4. Ray Nitschke
  5. Mike Singletary
  6. Bill George
  7. Junior Seau
  8. Chuck Bednarik
  9. Nick Buoniconti
  10. Brian Urlacher
All these guys were great players but Willis will be at, or near, the top. The modern MLB who can run with WRs and hammer the fullback over the middle is really much improved over the early guys. Ask Butkus or Nitschke to run with a WR or even a fast TE and they wouldn't be able to be nearly as good as Willis.

Junior Seau was a better LB. Hence why he had a DPOY.
Originally posted by SaksV:
1. Ray Lewis
2. Patrick Willis
3. Dick Butkus
4. Jack Lambert
5. Mike Singletary
Honorable Mention: Junior Seau

I like this list
Our D is still very strong, and will be fine with Borland stepping in, but the depth chart feels naked without Willis on there. It definitely feels like the invisible position of leader was vacated, and hasnt been filled.

Im glad we signed Dockett. Hes a HUGE locker room, get the team fired up type leader. Were going to need it, especially if Smith is gone too.
Share 49ersWebzone