LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 431 users in the forums

NFLN: Jets vs. Niners...up next. From 1998

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This will be good to see the WCO with Hearst and his OT clutch epic run.
If memory serves me, stokes scores one TD on a dino route and I believe rice gets a td on sprint option. I loved that game...was basically the last opener of the dynasty days.
Originally posted by Niners816:
If memory serves me, stokes scores one TD on a dino route and I believe rice gets a td on sprint option. I loved that game...was basically the last opener of the dynasty days.

Should be fun to watch how different that offense was...compared to last year.
LMAO. First play was a screen to Hearst. Bwahahaha.
Talk about a missing ring. Rice, Owens and Stokes are your starting receivers with Hearst in the backfield. Great game to start that season though.
Originally posted by facestabber:
Talk about a missing ring. Rice, Owens and Stokes are your starting receivers with Hearst in the backfield. Great game to start that season though.

Statistically, it's the most potent WCO ever. 425 ypg..266 pass 159 rush per game. However, in my eyes it wasn't as flawless as say '94, '89 and '84. We ran a lot of 11 and 20 personnel in 1998.
So funny to look back on this game watching them play on part of a f**king baseball field. Young through an absolutely horrible pick on the Niners first drive. Jets get great field position and then Glenn f**king Foley leads NYJ on an epic 20 yard drive to a field goal for a 3-0 lead. Hmmm... where have I seen that before? Now the shoe's on the other foot with Bill Parcells' protégé running the team we used to know as the WCO Niners. Watching this game is like the Jets are the current 49ers and the 49ers would be the current GB Packers. Before Mark Sanchez gave us the butt fumble, Garrison Hearst gave us the butt rumble. Said he was farting all the way down the field helping to propel him to that game-winning TD.
What a difference. Counter runs, targeting the middle of the field with the TE, Hearst inside and off tackle, lining up Rice in the slot for a quick slant, inside run for a TD from Hearst, getting everyone involved (all 3 WR's), taking some deep shot, short passes, etc. They just had the Jets completely off balance.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
What a difference. Counter runs, targeting the middle of the field with the TE, Hearts inside and off tackle, lining up Rice in the slot for a quick slant, inside run for a TD from Hearst, getting everyone involved, etc. They just had the Jets completely off balance.

Was a thing of beauty all season long. Steve missed the carolina game that season and still had almost 4200 yards and 36 tds.
What a difference. Counter runs, targeting the middle of the field with the TE, Hearts inside and off tackle, lining up Rice in the slot for a quick slant, inside run for a TD from Hearst, getting everyone involved, etc. They just had the Jets completely off balance.

Was a thing of beauty all season long. Steve missed the carolina game that season and still had almost 4200 yards and 36 tds.

Damn. In thinking about CK, I notice that Steve takes almost all his snaps from under center and the designs are to get the ball out very quickly. BUT if that slant (as an example) isn't there instantly, Steve backs up in his drops, resets and survey's the field and either passes or takes off. How perfect would this be for CK. Hit your primary read, if it's not there, reset, survey and pass to the 2nd or 3rd option or run. Simple.

Young rolls left, throws back to Hearst on the backside for a screen. Plays like this, even if they aren't executed, do so much damage to the defense.
Was Mariucci calling plays or in tandem with an OC at that time?
Damn. In thinking about CK, I notice that Steve takes almost all his snaps from under center and the designs are to get the ball out very quickly. BUT if that slant (as an example) isn't there instantly, Steve backs up in his drops, resets and survey's the field and either passes or takes off. How perfect would this be for CK. Hit your primary read, if it's not there, reset, survey and pass to the 2nd or 3rd option or run. Simple.

Steve was on the master level of footwork and the WCO by 1998. That is the greatest thing about the WCO the qbs footwork will tell him when the routes are designed to break open. That is why we never used the gun under joe or steve...they where more comfortable from a footwork standpoint under center.
Was Mariucci calling plays or in tandem with an OC at that time?

I believe morringwheg was play caller, but mooch had all the say he wanted. Mooch was never an OC in the NFL...he was Qb coach with GB before getting the Cal job in '96 and our job in '97. This offense is basically holmgrens version of the WCO. Both morringwheg and mooch learned it from him.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Mar 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM ]

Not so simple for Kap. He instantly panics when 1st read (pre-determined receiver) not open.
Share 49ersWebzone