LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 309 users in the forums

Carmen Policy on TV tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sure. Any chimp could budget three hall of famers on a roster and a handful of skill position all stars. Whats the big hoo ha.
Originally posted by andrew1cohen:
Hi: Did anyone watch Carmen Policy on TV tonight? Great interview. He's pretty down on York re: Harbaugh (Keep him almost at any cost, Bill Walsh was a pain too), need an elder for York, not too optimistic re: 49ers for the next few years ...

Regardless if you believe him, anyone have any thoughts on the guy with 5 rings?

Thanks for summing-up. It seems what Policy said is extremely proper.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Thanks for putting us into salary cap hell Mr Policy. Not interested in your opinions of your previous team.

Terry Donahue put us in salary cap hell.

No. He didn't. Policy was the one who agreed and signed the contracts which, in effect, borrowed money from the future to pay for the present. The 49ers were the first NFL team to experience salary cap hell, and it was Policy's doing. Way before TDon.

TDon will always be remembered for completely dismantling the team and giving Erickson a roster of players most thought would be unable to beat a good college side. But salary cap hell was uniquely Policy's legacy to the team.

Exactly. Actually, Donahue, probably did the best thing for the team at the time. Was he a good GM? Nope, but the salary cap hell should have lasted much longer than it did. Realistically, he gutted the team, but in the grand scheme of things, they rebounded pretty well after a few really bad years. Mcloughan brought in enough talent that the team started to at least compete again. The product that was on the field after the team was gutted was absolutely atrocious.
Originally posted by SadowskyMS4:
Originally posted by andrew1cohen:
Hi: Did anyone watch Carmen Policy on TV tonight? Great interview. He's pretty down on York re: Harbaugh (Keep him almost at any cost, Bill Walsh was a pain too), need an elder for York, not too optimistic re: 49ers for the next few years ...

Regardless if you believe him, anyone have any thoughts on the guy with 5 rings?

Thanks for summing-up. It seems what Policy said is extremely proper.

This would make a ton of sense if Jim won Superbowls and revolutionalized the offense game of football for eternity.

I do believe Gamble was brought in to be another Carmen Policy-like persona as needed for Baalke but I highly doubt Tomsula is going to be a PITA the way Harbaugh was (still is).
[ Edited by NCommand on Feb 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM ]
Not a big fan of Policy but would he have been able to bail the team out of cap hell if Eddie had kept the team? We will never know. Policy left the niners before the Yorks were able to fire him, not deserting but reading the writing on the walls accurately. He met with Tagliabue to give him a heads up that he was intending to join a group buying the Browns because he was about to be fired.

Much of the niner's years in the wilderness can be attributed to the chaos that reigned when the Yorks took over...including Policy leaving and no one understanding where they stood with the cap. It was easier to just blame the past and make their own mistakes. An example is Policy being absent to a large extent in the museum. That is a very petty thing.

Edit: as for his thoughts on Harbaugh...he's about as accurate as an average zoner. He's outside looking in and so should be taken with a grain of salt and a view toward his bitterness.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Feb 28, 2015 at 8:05 AM ]
Thanks for putting us into salary cap hell Mr Policy. Not interested in your opinions of your previous team.

Terry Donahue put us in salary cap hell.

No. He didn't. Policy was the one who agreed and signed the contracts which, in effect, borrowed money from the future to pay for the present. The 49ers were the first NFL team to experience salary cap hell, and it was Policy's doing. Way before TDon.

TDon will always be remembered for completely dismantling the team and giving Erickson a roster of players most thought would be unable to beat a good college side. But salary cap hell was uniquely Policy's legacy to the team.

Either way we won 4 championships with him in control, so ultimately it was worth it.
He is 100% right.

I'm not sure what policy's salary cap management has to do with his comments about york and the way harbaugh situation went down.

If you want to discredit policy regarding this we should find an instance where he got rid of a highly successfull coach who was hard to deal with...
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 28, 2015 at 11:18 AM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He is 100% right.

I'm not sure what policy's salary cap management has to do with his comments about york and the way harbaugh situation went down.

If you want to discredit policy regarding this we should find an instance where he got rid of a highly successfull coach who was hard to deal with...

DeBartolo handled that side of things and apparently came close to sacking Walsh several times.

Policy left the Niners and joined Cleveland. And I have no interest in his comments about the current team.

He still got us ring # 5 out of the deal!
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
He is 100% right.

DeBartolo handled that side of things and apparently came close to sacking Walsh several times.

Policy left the Niners and joined Cleveland. And I have no interest in his comments about the current team.

Yes Eddid D almost did it. IIRC Carmen Policy and others in upper manage had to mediate the situation. Policy was Vice Pres and then President and CEO. Its likely that Policy and others prevented the dismantling of the 49ers on more then several occasions. That is what a great President/CEO does.

I do have an interest in comments about the former CEO and President of our glory years, who went through a similar situation regarding the head coach and upper management. I believe this is the appropriate thread for that.

"I think I was ordered by Eddie to fire Bill Walsh approximately seven, maybe eight times," former 49ers executive Carmen Policy said. "And there were times when Bill deserved it."Of course, DeBartolo never went through with it. And their working relationship continued for 10 seasons.The most devastating loss of the late Walsh's career occurred when the 49ers, who had established themselves as the favorite to win the Super Bowl after the 1987 season, lost to the Minnesota Vikings in the playoffs.The next season, the 49ers won the Super Bowl, and a burnt-out Walsh stepped down.

Wasn't Policy the reason he had the most dead money on an NFL roster for almost half a decade?
Policy had his good points and his bad...thus why I'm not a fan. He did a great job, as Young2Rice suggests, mediate between Walsh and Eddie D. He and McVay were great buffers and seriously talented guys in their areas. Policy was a very prominent lawyer at an early age.

He, Policy, also helped mismanage the cap, although it's hard to know just how much was Eddie D doing anything necessary to win SBs...hard to fault the success. To blame Policy and give Eddie D a pass is not a very accurate guess in my opinion.
As far as im concerned, Policy helped the 49ers win 4 championships, so if we had to go through a period of cap hell, so be it. The 49ers blackballing him out of their HOF is strange and unfortunate.
As far as im concerned, Policy helped the 49ers win 4 championships, so if we had to go through a period of cap hell, so be it. The 49ers blackballing him out of their HOF is strange and unfortunate.

SBs are worth it IMO

Eddie was a big spender as well. Rich guys creating memories for everyone.
Share 49ersWebzone