LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Finding a Delanie Walker Type Player

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I do think we need to find a player similar to Delanie Walker. Dalanie was no superstar in the stat sheet but he was one of the key pieces in the niners attack. He was a big, fast, physical player that could man handle a d-back and get a body on a linebacker. He could also make a play in the pass game when needed and allow Vernon to concentrate on receiving rather than blocking. Imagine a line-up with Boldin, Vernon, "Dalanie-Like" and a big guy with speed to get down the field. With this formation we can spread out the O and still pound the rock with this big physical core. We can also work the play-action to counteract having the box stacked. Might be time to move on from Vance and go get Dalanie's replacement that has been missing the last few years.
  • thl408
Agreed. A player that can allow for a 2 TE grouping and get that DWalker like player covered by a LB in the passing game would add a nice dimension. DWalker was a WR in college and so he was like an oversized WR in the NFL that was willing to block in the run game. Not sure how often the new offense will use 2TEs on the field at the same time though, but that was when DWalker's effectiveness was felt. The defense was forced to field their base personnel (4 DBs) and DWalker was the mismatch.

I think VD can be that guy moreso than Vance. Vance seems like a big lumbering dude. Carrier seems like a very agile guy, with good athleticism, but his run blocking was lacking.
[ Edited by thl408 on Feb 22, 2015 at 5:39 PM ]
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trey-millard?id=2543632 ???? Maybe
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trey-millard?id=2543632 ???? Maybe

Agree. I'm hoping Trey Millard was drafted for this role. Probably not the natural receiver Delanie was, but I think he can be a player for us. Very versatile.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Feb 22, 2015 at 6:25 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/trey-millard?id=2543632 ???? Maybe

Agree. I'm hoping Trey Millard was drafted for this role. Probably not the natural receiver Delanie was, but I think he can be a player for us. Very versatile.

Delanie was a natural receiver? You"'d think a natural receiver would catch more than 50% of his passes?
Originally posted by genus49:
Delanie was a natural receiver? You"'d think a natural receiver would catch more than 50% of his passes?

He had a case of the dropsies for sure. But he played WR in college and was more natural as a route runner and receiver than your typical 6'1" 240 lb player. His combo of skills made him a mismatch problem. He was unique in that regard.
Originally posted by thl408:
Agreed. A player that can allow for a 2 TE grouping and get that DWalker like player covered by a LB in the passing game would add a nice dimension. DWalker was a WR in college and so he was like an oversized WR in the NFL that was willing to block in the run game. Not sure how often the new offense will use 2TEs on the field at the same time though, but that was when DWalker's effectiveness was felt. The defense was forced to field their base personnel (4 DBs) and DWalker was the mismatch.

I think VD can be that guy moreso than Vance. Vance seems like a big lumbering dude. Carrier seems like a very agile guy, with good athleticism, but his run blocking was lacking.

I am hopeful Millard can be that DWalk type player. It would allows us to seemlessly flow from 21 personnel to 12 personnel while keeping the same grouping on the field. However, idk if Millard can line up wide and function. I think he is a hybrid FB/h-back.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by genus49:

He had a case of the dropsies for sure. But he played WR in college and was more natural as a route runner and receiver than your typical 6'1" 240 lb player. His combo of skills made him a mismatch problem. He was unique in that regard.

I had always wondered how he played WR in college, because his hands seemed very subpar. His athleticism made him deadly tho.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I am hopeful Millard can be that DWalk type player. It would allows us to seemlessly flow from 21 personnel to 12 personnel while keeping the same grouping on the field. However, idk if Millard can line up wide and function. I think he is a hybrid FB/h-back.

This. Delanie was so versatile we could even flex him out and show 11 personnel if we wanted to. Losing him in FA was a big blow to the offense. We didn't just miss the production (his numbers were only modest). We missed the favorable matchups a versatile player like that creates. Good blocker and also had the wheels to run and make plays in the passing game.
The block on Ed Reed at the goal in the SB is one of my favorite plays.

What about Bruce miller? He seems to show a ton of athleticism for a converted DL. He actually looked better than most of our TE last year. Be interesting to see a mixture of versatile players in the "heavy" formations that could make it more questionable whether it's a run or pass. Boldin, VD, miller, Millard, McDonald as a set. All can block (obviously we aren't sure on Millard) but all have the ability to catch a pass/run a route. Keep a defense honest
[ Edited by Stealthduner on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:01 PM ]
Percy Harvin.
Derek Carrier can be that guy if given the chance
Trey Millard 6'3" 255lbs ran a 4:55 40 pre-injury. Played RB, FB, and TE. As a TE he lined up in both the slot and at the end of the line as a blocker. He was drafted to be a HBack and replace Walker. That is what the 9ers said on NFL network during the draft during an interview.

It will not be Derek Carrier. He does not run routes well and he can't block. He is way too raw. Good practice squad player is all he will ever be.
[ Edited by Hangman_52 on Feb 22, 2015 at 9:56 PM ]
I can't believe no one has mentioned Trey Millard. One game against Texas I believe, he had a 73 yard gain.
Share 49ersWebzone