There are 198 users in the forums

Projected to be 6.6MILL OVER next years cap,W/Willis,SteveJ,Brooks gone,wed have 15.5.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Wed have 15.5 available, IF Brooks/Willis are traded then it would free up another 3.4 MILL(Brooks more importantly being @3.2 cap hit if cut,Willis only .2 cap hit) giving us a today of 15.9 MILL AVAILABLE not to mention draft picks that wed also receive!

I think were also going to free up cap space by restructuring Kap&some other lower level players on our team which could put us close to 20 MILL TOTAL.Take out give or take 6 MILL for rookie class? Still overall of 16 MILL free.

With our all injured players coming back from injuries, all our "Redshirts" from last years draft:Brandon Thomas(Potential starter @G),Trey Millard(Possibly faster version of Kuhn mixed W/Rathman),Kenneth Acker(Showed flash at CB),Keith Raeser(Potential Baalke Special at CB). Not to mention returns of Hunter/Cook

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID, I love Willis dont get me wrong but he has a 9.2 hit&even if we dont trade him it would save us 9 mill total. With emergence of Borland,return of Bowman who IMO will come back just as strong&dominant player(See Thomas Davis,modern medicine),depth of Wilhoite+Moody/Skov/Rookie wed be more then good and thus making Willis expendable.

I believe this would be the perfect year to trade up&sign an impact field stretching/jack of all trades WR. Sign WR for 6 MILL, then youd have 10MILL for starting DE/CB.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Wed have 15.5 available, IF Brooks/Willis are traded then it would free up another 3.4 mill giving us a today of 15.9 MILL AVAILABLE not to mention draft picks that wed also receive!

I think were also going to free up cap space by restructuring Kap&some other lower level players on our team which could put us close to 20 MILL TOTAL.Take out give or take 6 MILL for rookie class? Still overall of 16 MILL free.

With our all injured players coming back from injuries, all our "Redshirts" from last years draft:Brandon Thomas(Potential starter @G),Trey Millard(Possibly faster version of Kuhn mixed W/Rathman),Kenneth Acker(Showed flash at CB),Keith Raeser(Potential Baalke Special at CB). Not to mention returns of Hunter/Cook

WITH ALL THAT BEING SAID, I love Willis dont get me wrong but he has a 9.2 hit&even if we dont trade him it would save us 9 mill total. With emergence of Borland,return of Bowman who IMO will come back just as strong&dominant player(See Thomas Davis,modern medicine),depth of Wilhoite+Moody/Skov/Rookie wed be more then good and thus making Willis expendable.

I believe this would be the perfect year to trade up&sign an impact field stretching/jack of all trades WR. Sign WR for 6 MILL, then youd have 10MILL for starting DE/CB.

Thoughts?
some things are not worth answering, lock?
Stoped..reading...at...trade...Willis.....
Willis ain't going anywhere. Borland played well as a rookie but isn't the locker room presence that Willis is. At least not yet. Team can't afford to lose that presence if it plans on contending.

Brooks is already out the door and they will probably try to renegotiate Stevie. I'd expect several more contract restructures as well to clear space.

My guess is Crabtree, Iupati and Brooks are gone. Gore and Justin are Niners for at least another year.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:04 PM ]
Guys seriously... think outside the box. I LOVE Willis, I know what hes meant to the franchise. But you cannot effening tell me with the emergence of Borland&return of Bowman who was a better overall player than Willis(Even if marginal), with 9 MILL you could put that money towards more of an impact player.

Stop being delusional. Having 13.7 MILL tied up at ILB positions in a 3-4 isnt smart. Period. We need to strengthen other areas. Borlands a beast,we can draft another ILB if youre not comfortable with Wilhoite being able to fill in. Moody isnt bad on blitzing&good ST player.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Ya...

...what I wonder is what peeps who write this think we'd actually get for him. The Niners would never receive any package of picks that would make the move worth it...not for a LB his age coming off IR.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Willis ain't going anywhere. Borland played well as a rookie but isn't the locker room presence that Willis is. At least not yet. Team can't afford to lose that presence if it plans on contending.

Brooks is already out the door and they will probably try to renegotiate Stevie. I'd expect several more contract restructures as well to clear space.

My guess is Crabtree, Iupati and Brooks are gone. Gore and Justin are Niners for at least another year.

I understand where youre coming from, but once again with that 9 MILL you can use that money elsewhere. that IMO would make the team more ALL AROUND more successful. I dont Willis presence alone is going to win us a championship.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Feb 20, 2015 at 4:09 PM ]
AB said that we're good with the cap....
We cut everyone, give all our rookies PEDs
So you dont think being the leader of the team and a pro bowl caliber player is worth 9 mil?

Your opinion is invalrod.

Guys seriously... think outside the box. I LOVE Willis, I know what hes meant to the franchise. But you cannot effening tell me with the emergence of Borland&return of Bowman who was a better overall player than Willis(Even if marginal), with 9 MILL you could put that money towards more of an impact player.

Stop being delusional. Having 13.7 MILL tied up at ILB positions in a 3-4 isnt smart. Period. We need to strengthen other areas. Borlands a beast,we can draft another ILB if youre not comfortable with Wilhoite being able to fill in. Moody isnt bad on blitzing&good ST player.

You really aren't outside the box. You are far from the first person to make this suggestion.

First off Bowman is not better than Willis. He gets bigger numbers because he has different responsibilities.

"Not smart"? Seriously? Those guys are half of the best LB unit in the NFL and a big reason the team has been a contender for several years. 13.7 mil? That's NOTHING on a 143 mil cap...especially for players of that caliber. I know Borland has everyone excited and all and he's a very good player...but trading Willis would be stupid. Too much value to the team on the field and in the locker room.
Willis is not going anywhere. We're good on the salary cap front. Our capologist AB projected we'd have $20+ mil in cap room after we make a few moves. Cut Brooks, re-negotiate SJ's deal, re-structure Kap's deal, etc....

I understand where youre coming from, but once again with that 9 MILL you can use that money elsewhere. that IMO would make the team more ALL AROUND more successful. I dont Willis presence alone is going to win us a championship.

Sure you can...so can everyone else's salary. You don't trade Patrick Willis.

This ain't Madden. Leaders mean something...particularly one who still has his ability.
Originally posted by Niners99:
So you dont think being the leader of the team and a pro bowl caliber player is worth 9 mil?

Your opinion is invalrod.

Thats extremely hard to say. I guess youd have to ask an NFL player. If you traded away Brooks,Willis&Stevie J. Youd be able to get starting DE to take over one of the DE spots&wouldnt worry about Justin Smith retiring(if he doesnt come back this season, which I think he will)&possibly Dez Bryant/Demaryius Thomas.

Then still have another draft to really build rest of team.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Ya...

...what I wonder is what peeps who write this think we'd actually get for him. The Niners would never receive any package of picks that would make the move worth it...not for a LB his age coming off IR.
the way willis played on a bad toe for two years was better than 99 per cent of fellow backers in the nfl, just think what he will be back to full strength, and if you lose gire and country,, willis is your leader... jesus look at me,, i am actually trying to defend the trading of willis, like this would ever happen. i hate it when i get sucked into a posters delusions
Share 49ersWebzone