LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 187 users in the forums

Trade Bait 2015

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by vermonator:
Here's some key 49ers I believe Baalke tries to wheel and deal...

Vernon Davis: Traded for a 5th round draft pick or gets cut
Alex Boone: Traded for a 7th round draft pick or gets cut
Ahmad Brooks: Traded for a 6th round draft pick or gets cut

I would rather keep them.

All three of them have been decent starters. Starters are worth more than late draft picks.

The dead money we would get with trading or cutting Brooks and Davis would, or could, create problems.

Davis may well have had a back and a bad back could easily lead to having an unproductive year.

There was something wrong with Davis last year. He can't go from 13 TD catches to 2 without some kind of added variable in there somewhere. He's been so productive that I can't see dumping him after a down year working through injuries. Boone is so good as a swing tackle - I'm hoping they use him that way once Brandon Thomas is in the mix - Boone has to be better than Jonathan Martin there. I think Brooks had a down year as well, but Aaron Lynch makes him much more expendable. Lynch was a flat-out steal in the draft.

I'm hoping for the best, but this organization has given me NOTHING to look forward to. We are going to be $9 million over the cap with a gutted coaching staff, and a team with most of its starters over the age of 30. All these things set up the perfect storm for disaster.

I don't see us even making .500, so be prepared for a very bad season. I hope and prey I'm wrong, but history shows these situations very rarely work out.

49ers starters over 30.

P.Dawson (40, could be cut)
J.Smith (35, might retire)
A.Boldin (34, looks like he has one good year left in him)
V.Davis (31, should be back IMO)
F.Gore (31, probably gone)
A.Bethea (30, only 30 and a pro-bowler)
A.Brooks (30, probably gone)
J,Staley (30 is plenty young enough for an OT - pro bowler)
P.Willis (30, still a pro-bowler when healthy)

So, five probable starters over the age of 30 in 2015.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:
There was something wrong with Davis last year. He can't go from 13 TD catches to 2 without some kind of added variable in there somewhere. He's been so productive that I can't see dumping him after a down year working through injuries. Boone is so good as a swing tackle - I'm hoping they use him that way once Brandon Thomas is in the mix - Boone has to be better than Jonathan Martin there. I think Brooks had a down year as well, but Aaron Lynch makes him much more expendable. Lynch was a flat-out steal in the draft.

This times a thousand!!!

Davis was hurt last year. I think he had a nagging back issue putting pressure on a nerve. Crap doesn't fire right if you have one of those and pain killers numb you to the point of having other things not fire properly. To top things off, it's one thing to fight one of those injuries, it's another to fight it with tweedle dumb sending plays in.
The average age thing is an over-emphasized stat. In 2014, the difference between the Niners, in 22nd place at 26.36 and the youngest team, the Rams at 25.09, is 1.27 years. Come on.
Originally posted by crake49:
The average age thing is an over-emphasized stat. In 2014, the difference between the Niners, in 22nd place at 26.36 and the youngest team, the Rams at 25.09, is 1.27 years. Come on.

Average age isn't a detailed enough analysis. Teams will always have similar age profiles as a whole - it's more pertinent to look at the average age of core players, along with the number of young players with future starter potential.
[ Edited by slowriot on Feb 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by slowriot:

I'm hoping for the best, but this organization has given me NOTHING to look forward to. We are going to be $9 million over the cap with a gutted coaching staff, and a team with most of its starters over the age of 30. All these things set up the perfect storm for disaster.

I don't see us even making .500, so be prepared for a very bad season. I hope and prey I'm wrong, but history shows these situations very rarely work out.

49ers starters over 30.

no way Dawson is cut.
Gore is coming back
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

49ers starters over 30.

no way Dawson is cut.
Gore is coming back

Dawson is 40yo and had his worst FG% in 8 seasons last year. I think it's highly possible, particularly if he doesn't take a pay cut.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
no way Dawson is cut.
Gore is coming back

And Gore? Don't be so sure. Gore is 31. It's a strong draft for RBs, Hyde looks ready to take a lead role. 49ers are hard up against the cap. Gore wants to be 'the guy' to have a chance at another 1000 yard season and a shot at the HOF.
Originally posted by Hopper:
lol

Boone was an LT in college (and in 2013 at LT for us shut Robert Quinn completely down when no one else could all year long). Staley played a lot of RT. It makes sense. Thanks for your constructive input though.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Feb 16, 2015 at 5:35 PM ]

7th round pick? Cut? Thank the lord you are not the GM.

Boone would probably fetch us a lot in a trade, for the record. Teams aren't retarded. They know he's a very good tackle stuck out of position (where he still plays surprisingly well despite his height).

1.I would CUT Dawson
2. I would trade Brooks for anything or cut ( I love the dude but too high salary and Lynch is ready to take over)
3. I would make WR Stevie J take a paycut or He gets cut
4. Offer Gore i year $3 million or Walk away
Originally posted by Evilgenius:

7th round pick? Cut? Thank the lord you are not the GM.

Boone would probably fetch us a lot in a trade, for the record. Teams aren't retarded. They know he's a very good tackle stuck out of position (where he still plays surprisingly well despite his height).

A 7th round pick seems a little light - but unless a guy is a proven stud LT he's not likely to fetch much more than a later round pick.
A 7th round pick seems a little light - but unless a guy is a proven stud LT he's not likely to fetch much more than a later round pick.

It is extremely light. The Niners won't trade him anyway. And suggesting he be cut to save money is just foolish. He's paid very cheaply and performs at a very high level almost anywhere on the line. He could never play C. But its clear he can play guard and it's also clear he's an even better tackle than he is guard. At least what I've seen. In 2013 Robert Quinn was beasting against everyone, including Staley.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/02/refo-rams-49ers-week-13/

The PFF review... gave Boone the game ball (playing LT). Seeing as how Quinn was their second highest rated defender that year, I'd say that was a good performance.
[ Edited by Evilgenius on Feb 16, 2015 at 10:03 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone