There are 191 users in the forums

Torrey Smith WR

Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by Kuya:
Adam Caplan @caplannfl

"Multiple league sorces say #49ers are very interested in Torrey Smith. Again, they need a deep threat WR-- he's it."

This would screw up the compensatory-pick formula.

We shouldn't pass on a good player just because we might get a 3rd round pick next year. I would gladly trade even a 2nd round pick for Torrey Smith.
But Torrey smith is better at this point in his career than Johnson and Torrey is a number 1 wr. A deep threat but can also go short and intermediate and draws the most pi calls in the league.

Iupati is great but a liability is pass protection and if cully signs elsewhere, cox would be a small downgrade if any.

We can spend 8 mil on Torrey but can't spend 8 mil on iupati AND cullet bc that's what it's going to take. Torrey smith is more valuable to the niners as A TEAM bc our offense needs a great wr ALOT more than a great run blocker and bad pass blocker. Also culley is a big hit but last time I checked our defense is tops in the league when healthy and top 5 with injuries.

So again, Torrey smith will help us win a lot more than iupati and culley
Signing a big CB is twice as important as getting a deep-threat WR. There are plenty of deep-threat receivers in the draft. There are maybe 2 or 3 CBs in the entire draft who would be good enough to start for the Niners, and they'll all (both) probably be gone by picks 12 & 25 respectively (and 30-ish for the other one).

Mike Iupati > Torrey Smith.
Chris Culliver > Torrey Smith.
Andre Johnson > Torrey Smith.

...If the Niners want an expensive Raven, go after Ngata or Lardarius Webb when they get cut.
Originally posted by elguapo:
I called this a month ago. Smith would cost about 8 mil a year and he is better than boldin or Stevie so if we get smith we cut Stevie which sucks but oh well. Only cost us an extra 2 mil and that might not be the case if we structure his contract right.

Almost Every year we try to get a great wr.....and something happens where it doesn't come through. Like with Gordon or desean or the few others. Well Balke better handle this we will all be happy

Do the ravens have the salary cap room to sign him? I think they have more than us? So I would expect him to resign with Baltimore first but who knows.

They don't have much more than us. They've had to cut a lot of guys over the years but they've loaded up on comp picks as a result. Ozzie is a god but if/when we cut Stevie we will have the money to sign Torrey
If they sign Torrey Smith and don't sign Mike Iupati & Chris Culliver I'll be pissed. If they want a FA receiver hold out for Andre Johnson.

We don't spend a ton of dough at the G and CB position. Torrey will come a lot cheaper than Iupati and Cully combined plus we've been working on extending those guys for a year now. Can't get it done then can't get it done now so we may as well fill a need. We got Cully in the 3rd round and I believe we can have late round success again
Originally posted by elguapo:
But Torrey smith is better at this point in his career than Johnson and Torrey is a number 1 wr. A deep threat but can also go short and intermediate and draws the most pi calls in the league.

Iupati is great but a liability is pass protection and if cully signs elsewhere, cox would be a small downgrade if any.

We can spend 8 mil on Torrey but can't spend 8 mil on iupati AND cullet bc that's what it's going to take. Torrey smith is more valuable to the niners as A TEAM bc our offense needs a great wr ALOT more than a great run blocker and bad pass blocker. Also culley is a big hit but last time I checked our defense is tops in the league when healthy and top 5 with injuries.

So again, Torrey smith will help us win a lot more than iupati and culley

None of this is true IMO. Johnson is still far better than Torrey Smith. Mike Iupati is actually pretty good in pass protection when he's fully healthy. Cox is a huge downgrade from Culliver.

The good teams typically don't go after big-name FA receivers for a reason. Or they do and it burns them (see Seatte).
If they sign Torrey Smith and don't sign Mike Iupati & Chris Culliver I'll be pissed. If they want a FA receiver hold out for Andre Johnson.

Torrey is 26 years old. Andre is 33. Torrey isnt an elite wr but he does what we need. I like cully and iupati but you can solve that in the draft. Guards arent too difficult. A good db is alittle more difficult but i think easier to find than a wr.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
We shouldn't pass on a good player just because we might get a 3rd round pick next year. I would gladly trade even a 2nd round pick for Torrey Smith.

I hear TAM and SD are interested in Iupati. That should drive his price sky high. I think our comp picks will be at least a plus 3 after the offseason has concluded
None of this is true IMO. Johnson is still far better than Torrey Smith. Mike Iupati is actually pretty good in pass protection when he's fully healthy. Cox is a huge downgrade from Culliver.

The good teams typically don't go after big-name FA receivers for a reason. Or they do and it burns them (see Seatte).

Iupati isn't coming back. No chance. Why pay top dollar for him when we have 3 guys waiting in line? Looney, Thomas and Martin.

Trust me I am a huge Iupati fan, but he's not worth top dollar.

Cully I like, but I am still very wary of his character. I don't want to give him his payday cause he is to volatile.
Id be down for Torrey Smith to FINALLY get a deep threat that could stretch the field.

But, only if Chryst actually uses him. Over the last few years the 49ers have done a terrible job utilizing their entire group of WR. Its like we feature Crabtree for a couple weeks, then Stevie, then VD, etc. Boldin is the only constant. I feel like thats what happens when you have a bunch of the same possession WR. You cant ever use them all at once. They all fill the same role.

Kap's deep ball with Torrey Smith would be awesome.

Torrey Smith goes invisible for stretches.
Well Cobb is staying in GB so Smith will get overpaid.
Originally posted by JR80Forever:

Iupati isn't coming back. No chance. Why pay top dollar for him when we have 3 guys waiting in line? Looney, Thomas and Martin.

Trust me I am a huge Iupati fan, but he's not worth top dollar.

Cully I like, but I am still very wary of his character. I don't want to give him his payday cause he is to volatile.

He IS worth top dollar if youre utilizing a run-first power running game, as we plan to continue doing. Iupati is the best run blocker in the NFL, with maybe the exception of Marshal Yanda. He is actually a pretty important piece to the offense we want to run. The problem is he cant pass block, so were going to have to pay elite run blocking money for a guy who cant pass block.

I think if you highlight our free agents, I feel like Iupati, Culliver, and Gore are the important ones to retain.

I dont want to see Culliver go, because you waste your time developing a young CB into a great player, and when he hits free agency you want to actually reap the benefits of your development. If Culliver leaves, hes going to take all hes learned, and put it all together for someone else. We need CB's, so it would make no sense to let him go.
Cobb got 4 years $40 million from GB so he is off the list. Torrey and Crabtree just got more expensive
Originally posted by Niners99:
He IS worth top dollar if youre utilizing a run-first power running game, as we plan to continue doing. Iupati is the best run blocker in the NFL, with maybe the exception of Marshal Yanda. He is actually a pretty important piece to the offense we want to run. The problem is he cant pass block, so were going to have to pay elite run blocking money for a guy who cant pass block.

I think if you highlight our free agents, I feel like Iupati, Culliver, and Gore are the important ones to retain.

I dont want to see Culliver go, because you waste your time developing a young CB into a great player, and when he hits free agency you want to actually reap the benefits of your development. If Culliver leaves, hes going to take all hes learned, and put it all together for someone else. We need CB's, so it would make no sense to let him go.

We should have extended Cully last offseason cheaply like we were regardless of the bad PR but we didn't
Share 49ersWebzone