LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

What does JT need to accomplish to return as HC in 2016/17?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does JT need to accomplish to return as HC in 2016/17?

Super Bowl victory. Anything less than that is considered a failure according to Jed.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by mayo49:
Just don't mumble at his pressers.

lol

Stay cheap. The Yorks like them that way. Cause I'm not convinced the Yorks really care about winning.
I believe they will be flexible with him since York has so much riding on this. He openly bragged that Tomsula could win just as many games as Harbaugh, so if Tomsula flops, firing him would be an admission that he really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

Even if Tomsula were to bomb completely and the team wins likes 5 or 6 games, I think he gets a second season.
Originally posted by slowriot:
Originally posted by trooper49:
I think he will get a second year pretty much no matter what. He will be in trouble if he doesn't significantly improve in his second year. He must make the playoffs by his third year or else there will be a lot of pressure to make a change.

Do you think he would return if SF were to go 5-11? (like in 2010 - the last year before Harbaugh)

With the talent we have, I would be extremely doubtful that he would succeed with only a five win season. I think a lot would depend on how the season ends. If its a poor season but there is hopeful progress at the end of the season, I think he stays. I think the only way he leaves after only one season is if there is a noticeable decline or lack of progress thru out the season.
Originally posted by slowriot:
I posed this question in the 49ers 2015 Coaching Staff Thread and thought it was worth polling.

Even though I'm sure JY and TB feel they've got their guy and want to keep him around for the long term, I feel like anything less than a winning season in 2015/16 would make it very difficult to justify keeping him around for 2016/17...

Jed's made it clear that anything less than a Super Bowl victory is unacceptable for this franchise - so I think this is what it takes for JT to remain for three years:

Year 1: Winning record.
Year 2: Deep playoff run.
Year 3: Super Bowl victory.

Anything less and we're looking for a new HC.
I agree with this

But lets be honest, i don't think this is possible because the team is aging and appears to ready to take shot at the super bowl now. Plus next year with out a playoff appearance and we may move on from Kap. Then we are looking for a QB in the Draft or free agency. Unlikely we are going to get a rookie QB who is going to take us deep into the playoffs in year 2 and then a SB win in year 3. And when was the last time a super bowl ready QB hit the market in free agency. The only ones i can think off is P Manning and D. Brees. I don't see any one like that being available next year.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I believe they will be flexible with him since York has so much riding on this. He openly bragged that Tomsula could win just as many games as Harbaugh, so if Tomsula flops, firing him would be an admission that he really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about.

Even if Tomsula were to bomb completely and the team wins likes 5 or 6 games, I think he gets a second season.

This is my great fear.
Originally posted by iceberg450r:
I agree with this

But lets be honest, i don't think this is possible because the team is aging and appears to ready to take shot at the super bowl now. Plus next year with out a playoff appearance and we may move on from Kap. Then we are looking for a QB in the Draft or free agency. Unlikely we are going to get a rookie QB who is going to take us deep into the playoffs in year 2 and then a SB win in year 3. And when was the last time a super bowl ready QB hit the market in free agency. The only ones i can think off is P Manning and D. Brees. I don't see any one like that being available next year.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Outside of J.Smith, Boldin, V.Davis, F.Gore and P.Willis, the core of our team is well under 30. A.Brooks is likely gone this offseason. I expect Gore is gone as well. J. Smith might retire. Davis is in a make or break season and Boldin looks like he has one year left in him. Baalke has done a good job of balancing youth with experience over the past few seasons and I expect that to continue.

You're right about this though - If Kap doesn't show progress this season, then this team is at least three years away from a Super Bowl.
Just checked - Staley and Bethea are also 30. (As well as Dawson and Lee, but older kickers and punters aren't unusual)
Originally posted by 9erReign:
He should be fired if we don't win the SB TBPH.

But we all know cheap Jed gonna give him 5 years to prove he sucks.

I mean, we gave Harbs 4 years to prove he can't run an offense or compromise. Might as well extend the same courtesy to JT.

Originally posted by TheRambler:
I mean, we gave Harbs 4 years to prove he can't run an offense or compromise. Might as well extend the same courtesy to JT.

4 years, 3 conference championship games and 1 Superbowl appearance. If Tomsula can match that, nobody will complain.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:
He should be fired if we don't win the SB TBPH.

But we all know cheap Jed gonna give him 5 years to prove he sucks.

I think they'll give him 3 years.
Anything less than 9-7 would be a letdown for me and likely a let down for the people who make the head coaching decisions. So I'll vote for that. I do believe, however, we will be in the 10-11 win range.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

4 years, 3 conference championship games and 1 Superbowl appearance. If Tomsula can match that, nobody will complain.

This.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
LMAO at people's expectations. What the 49ers accomplished in Harbaugh's time here wasn't likely to be matched even if he stayed. The amount of butthurt that he's gone is beyond ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone