LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

What does JT need to accomplish to return as HC in 2016/17?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What does JT need to accomplish to return as HC in 2016/17?

I posed this question in the 49ers 2015 Coaching Staff Thread and thought it was worth polling.

Even though I'm sure JY and TB feel they've got their guy and want to keep him around for the long term, I feel like anything less than a winning season in 2015/16 would make it very difficult to justify keeping him around for 2016/17...

Jed's made it clear that anything less than a Super Bowl victory is unacceptable for this franchise - so I think this is what it takes for JT to remain for three years:

Year 1: Winning record.
Year 2: Deep playoff run.
Year 3: Super Bowl victory.

Anything less and we're looking for a new HC.
he needs a playoff appearance in year 1 IMO. without that it just looks like a team trending down ward big time. you cant pull the old "had an of year due to turmoil and injuries" stuff.
I think he will get a second year pretty much no matter what. He will be in trouble if he doesn't significantly improve in his second year. He must make the playoffs by his third year or else there will be a lot of pressure to make a change.
Originally posted by trooper49:
I think he will get a second year pretty much no matter what. He will be in trouble if he doesn't significantly improve in his second year. He must make the playoffs by his third year or else there will be a lot of pressure to make a change.

Do you think he would return if SF were to go 5-11? (like in 2010 - the last year before Harbaugh)
Originally posted by slowriot:
Originally posted by trooper49:

Do you think he would return if SF were to go 5-11? (like in 2010 - the last year before Harbaugh)

cheap HC salary wise and seen as a yes man for the front office. he gets 2 years at least and maybe even 3.
Originally posted by crabman82:
cheap HC salary wise and seen as a yes man for the front office. he gets 2 years at least and maybe even 3.

You said a few posts ago he needs a playoff appearance - now you think he stays regardless?
Originally posted by slowriot:

You said a few posts ago he needs a playoff appearance - now you think he stays regardless?

well i dont think needs a playoff appearance in year 1 to retain his job. he needs it from my perspective as a fan to have some sort of hope to cling on to for the future. not even asking for a playoff win. just 10 wins and a wild card berth.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
A super bowl championship according to Jed.
Back-to-back and one 19-0 season
Year 1: a playoff win.

well i dont think needs a playoff appearance in year 1 to retain his job. he needs it from my perspective as a fan to have some sort of hope to cling on to for the future. not even asking for a playoff win. just 10 wins and a wild card berth.

Ah, ok. Agreed. I also need a playoff appearance to justify the coaching changes this offseason.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I had no idea that Tomsula was a "yes man."

Where exactly did you get this idea?

If this is not just a figment of your imagination you should be able to provide us with a report that has indicated that Tomsula is a "yes man."

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Just don't mumble at his pressers.
Originally posted by buck:

I had no idea that Tomsula was a "yes man."

Where exactly did you get this idea?

If this is not just a figment of your imagination you should be able to provide us with a report that has indicated that Tomsula is a "yes man."

lol i knew there would be a fan or two with this response. its why i put seen as in front of the words yes man. if you dont view it like that, no worries. but thats the rub out there. uber successful crazy man head coach ushered out for the un-assuming d-line coach who will likely be a lot easier to deal behind the scenes from the front offices perspective. we'll see how it plays out, but thats kind of how it is viewed right now.
He should be fired if we don't win the SB TBPH.

But we all know cheap Jed gonna give him 5 years to prove he sucks.
Share 49ersWebzone