There are 173 users in the forums

Most disappointing offseason since...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Most disappointing offseason since...

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by twindad:
Speak for yourself, I am very excited about this off season! We actually have a coaching staff that has great position coaches. We still have free agency and the draft, then we get to stat our program 2 weeks early what is ther nit to be excited about!

I'm with Chaz on this. It's disappointing that coaches didn't want to come here and we were basically forced to promote from within. We now have a journeyman positional coach (Steve Logan) that is replacing our terrible QB coach (who is now our offensive coordinator), so that may be an upgrade. Tony Sparano may be an upgrade over Mangini as a TE coach too. Our best positional coach is now our head coach and his replacement has never coached in the NFL.

The only move I really dislike is the Chryst hire. Does anyone know the details of his contract? I'm wondering if he's expected to be an interim coach for a season or two.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/report-49ers-settle-geep-chryst/

This post on another article summed up my thoughts on the off-season:
Absolutely disgusting. They treat Harbaugh like garbage and run him out of town, only to replace his offense with the QB coach that presided over Kaep's huge regression last year. And gutted the elite defensive coaching staff to boot. Brilliant.
Have you even researched the coaching staff! The coaching staff is much better in a lot more positions then when Harbaugh was here. First, you say Logan in just a journey man coach! You overlook the fact that he has been an offensive of coordinator before, he has been a HC with East Carolina University, and did i mention he developed Matt Ryan, Akili smith and David Gerrard. The tight ends coach is going to be much better, whose idea was it to put Mangini at tightends coach anyways oh yeah, Harbaugh. Saprano also was a former HC and helped develop Jason Whitten. Chryst will be better than Roman, there will be no learning of a new offense (continuity) Runnings back coach stays the same with Rathman. The WR coach will probably be Ronald Curry. I would be willing to bet that he turns out to be a terrific coach. Johnny Morton could not coach up a WR to save his life.

I do not understand why people in these boards give Harbaugh a free pass with Kaeps development! Wasn't Harbaugh suppose to be the QB whisperer? But yet, everyone wants to blame Chryst for Kaeps so called regression. If Kaep regressed then how did he have almost identical numbers to Willow Wilson (suppose to be elite)?
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Valentines Day is right around the corner....
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
It's the worst since firing Mooch. Letting go of coaches and having no one better to replace them with, sounds all too familiar.

mooch deserved to get fired after going into a fetal position vs tampa bay. the ability to foretell that a coaching staff will suck before they have even had a staff meeting, let alone a practice, let alone coaching their first game is simply stunning. I did know we had so many posters with such a gift

Are you going to quote everyone that isn't happy? Back off.

Jed set the bar at winning a super bowl next year, and this euro coaching staff is supposed to do it? What a joke.
[ Edited by blunt_probe on Feb 8, 2015 at 9:43 AM ]

Jed set the bar at winning a super bowl next year, and this euro coaching staff is supposed to do it? What a joke.

It's the worst since firing Mooch. Letting go of coaches and having no one better to replace them with, sounds all too familiar.

mooch deserved to get fired after going into a fetal position vs tampa bay. the ability to foretell that a coaching staff will suck before they have even had a staff meeting, let alone a practice, let alone coaching their first game is simply stunning. I did know we had so many posters with such a gift

Why is it when a negative poster talks about this coaching staff NFL Europe is the first and only thing brought up? There is no mention that a coach like Logan has had HC experience at the college level and has had OC and other position coaching assignments, The ST coordinator has coached in the NFL and college. These prior experiences are conveniently left to fit a narrative! These naysayers have not taken the time to research on their own.
Why is it when a negative poster talks about this coaching staff NFL Europe is the first and only thing brought up? There is no mention that a coach like Logan has had HC experience at the college level and has had OC and other position coaching assignments, The ST coordinator has coached in the NFL and college. These prior experiences are conveniently left to fit a narrative! These naysayers have not taken the time to research on their own.

The coaching experience means dick if it wasn't at the highest level, continue researching & you'll find Logan was not retained for most of those positions. He's been out of coaching since 2011 for a reason, did you research that??

Most of Logan's success came at East Carolina & in NFL Europe not exactly an impressive resume.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 8, 2015 at 10:06 AM ]

And why is it that happy go lucky posters think that we haven't done any research? We've read the same stuff as you guys have , but guess what? We're not impressed. Do you really think we all want the niners to lose? Of course not, but we're not going to swallow it up and like s**t when it's served to us. Nothing annoys me more than sheep that want to force everyone to think their way.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Jesus Christ >>> Jeepsus Chryst

Originally posted by GMniner805:

The coaching experience means dick if it was for losing teams, continue researching & you'll find Logan was fired from just about all of those positions. He's been out of the league since 2011 for a reason, did you research that??
Of course I researched that, did you know that he worked at Boston College for free! No I bet you didn't! That is where he developed Matt Ryan to his BEST COLLEGIATE SEASON. But I bet that means dick right. He developed QBS Gerrard and A Smith into NFL QBs. Whose idea was it to put Mangini in charge of the tightends oh yeah your boy Harbaugh. Johnny Morton SUCKED as a WR coach and Ou offense looked like crap the last yer and a half.
And why is it that happy go lucky posters think that we haven't done any research? We've read the same stuff as you guys have , but guess what? We're not impressed. Do you really think we all want the niners to lose? Of course not, but we're not going to swallow it up and like s**t when it's served to us. Nothing annoys me more than sheep that want to force everyone to think their way.

If Jed hired Erickson again as Head Coach, some fans would still find a silver lining in it. They will take whatever Jed is serving.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
One thing is for sure... we didn't do well on offense last year. We can only hope the new staff will do better (we shall see).
Of course I researched that, did you know that he worked at Boston College for free! No I bet you didn't! That is where he developed Matt Ryan to his BEST COLLEGIATE SEASON. But I bet that means dick right. He developed QBS Gerrard and A Smith into NFL QBs. Whose idea was it to put Mangini in charge of the tightends oh yeah your boy Harbaugh. Johnny Morton SUCKED as a WR coach and Ou offense looked like crap the last yer and a half.

Great so now the 49ers are paying coaches that are willing to work for free

Did Logan develop Ryan or did Ryan develop Logan?? I've never heard Matt Ryan give Steve Logan any credit for his success yet you have to pin Logan's entire legacy on "developing" Matt Ryan for free that doesn't add up. If coaching Matt Ryan for free some how makes Logan a good football coach you will please have to explain that one to me thoroughly. If he was really any good don't you think they would have paid him??
Have you even researched the coaching staff! The coaching staff is much better in a lot more positions then when Harbaugh was here. First, you say Logan in just a journey man coach! You overlook the fact that he has been an offensive of coordinator before, he has been a HC with East Carolina University, and did i mention he developed Matt Ryan, Akili smith and David Gerrard. The tight ends coach is going to be much better, whose idea was it to put Mangini at tightends coach anyways oh yeah, Harbaugh. Saprano also was a former HC and helped develop Jason Whitten. Chryst will be better than Roman, there will be no learning of a new offense (continuity) Runnings back coach stays the same with Rathman. The WR coach will probably be Ronald Curry. I would be willing to bet that he turns out to be a terrific coach. Johnny Morton could not coach up a WR to save his life.

I do not understand why people in these boards give Harbaugh a free pass with Kaeps development! Wasn't Harbaugh suppose to be the QB whisperer? But yet, everyone wants to blame Chryst for Kaeps so called regression. If Kaep regressed then how did he have almost identical numbers to Willow Wilson (suppose to be elite)?

Harbaugh should get some of the blame for Kaep's regression. The difference is Harbaugh was responsible for much more than the development of the QB position. I think the team as a whole overachieved during his tenure so I give him some credit for that. The only way to measure a QB coach is the play/development of the QB's and there was little to no development. Kaepernick has regressed statistically in every season since taking over in 2012 and has not shown much improvement on any of his weaknesses. Given that was the only position Chryst was responsible for, he should be held accountable for it.

As far as the Russell Wilson-Colin Kaepernick comparison goes, Wilson is a much better QB right now. He does more with less and was much better statistically last season despite having horrible receivers. I don't give much credit to the 49ers receivers because I think they're pretty bad too, but the Seahawks' #1 WR (Baldwin) would have been #3 or #4 WR for the 49ers this past season and Luke Willson is not as good as Vernon Davis. Wilson's rating and QBR are 95.0 and 62.5 compared to 86.4 and 55.9 for Kaepernick, he threw for slightly more yards and TD's, and ran for more than 200 more yards than Kaepernick and 5 more TD's. And all this is with a worse supporting cast on offense (the one advantage he has over Kaepernick is Marshawn Lynch). This is confirmed if you watch them play - Wilson looks way more comfortable in the pocket, is more accurate, and has way more short area quickness to get out of sacks. I'm not sure what your definition of elite is, but I think Wilson belongs in the conversation of the top 7-8 QB's in the league. Kaepernick doesn't belong in that list yet.

Reel in the sheep crap.

So in what way is his comment forcing everyone to think his way and your comments aren't?
Originally posted by English:

Reel in the sheep crap.

So in what way is his comment forcing everyone to think his way and your comments aren't?

Insinuating that anyone thinking negatively can see the future (cciow) or hasn't done research (this guy), I take offense to. Notice how my original post wasn't directed at anyone other than answering the TC's question. Don't point a finger at only me when I wasn't trying to start a flame war, or hell, even start a debate with anyone.
Share 49ersWebzone