LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 227 users in the forums

Jerry Rice did what?!?!?!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like how Florio builds his case by saying "Rice dropped a lot of passes as a rookie, and then it stopped when he started using stickum."

Wait, so a ROOKIE WR had a rough year catching the ball, and then improved in the following years? Isnt that called "getting better"?
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
You can't spray real stickum. It's a goop that must be spread like butter.

You're the first person I've seen mention this. If this is true, then the Rice issue isn't even an issue.

Can anyone confirm or refute the aforementioned statement?

Then you haven't been reading the right posts... a few of us have been preaching this for a while.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spray+stuckum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=spray+stickum&tbm=shop

Don't know if it was available 30 years ago, though...

That's part of the confusion. The spray is not the REAL stick-um. That was a company taking advantage of the common name for anything sticky.

Real stickum you can lay your hand flat on top of a ball and the ball will come up with your hand. That spray will make it a tacky, but it's not going to hold at all.
Rice should be removed from all of the record books. Cheating on Any level should not be tolerated. It sends the wrong.message to.the.youth.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
Rice should be removed from all of the record books. Cheating on Any level should not be tolerated. It sends the wrong.message to.the.youth.

Originally posted by Jakemall:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spray+stuckum&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=spray+stickum&tbm=shop

That's part of the confusion. The spray is not the REAL stick-um. That was a company taking advantage of the common name for anything sticky.

Real stickum you can lay your hand flat on top of a ball and the ball will come up with your hand. That spray will make it a tacky, but it's not going to hold at all.

Wrong...Stickum is a trademarked brand-name made by Mueller Sports, and as I've stated, YES, it available as an aerosol spray. I've bought and used it many times. It's also made in powder and paste form, and yes the actual Stickum brand paste was used by NFL players back in the 70's, along with other "adhesive" products from other manufacturers that were called "stickum" as a generic term.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Wrong...Stickum is a trademarked brand-name made by Mueller Sports, and as I've stated, YES, it available as an aerosol spray. I've bought and used it many times. It's also made in powder and paste form, and yes the actual Stickum brand paste was used by NFL players back in the 70's, along with other "adhesive" products from other manufacturers that were called "stickum" as a generic term.

Real stick-um...the one that was originally identified courtesy of Lester Heyes was nothing like the spray. If you've actually used the product, as you say,you'd know that. Now I'll admit this company who made the original substance also made a spray and gave it the same name...but so what...everything, as you just mentioned was called stickum. Just like Kleenex applies to any tissue paper.

Comparing the spray to the goop would be like comparing leather gloves to the gloves that are available these days.
Originally posted by slowriot:
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

I can't lie, I was trolling....lol
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Real stick-um...the one that was originally identified courtesy of Lester Heyes was nothing like the spray. If you've actually used the product, as you say,you'd know that. Now I'll admit this company who made the original substance also made a spray and gave it the same name...but so what...everything, as you just mentioned was called stickum. Just like Kleenex applies to any tissue paper.

Comparing the spray to the goop would be like comparing leather gloves to the gloves that are available these days.

Yes, I know what the original 70s-era Stickum paste looked and felt like...it's about the same as the Stickum paste you can buy today, which "sticky-wise" it is like the Stickum aerosol spray, but obviously the paste is easier to slather on and tends to be much more goopy.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Feb 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone