There are 169 users in the forums

Worst RB 49er transition ever

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Worst RB 49er transition ever

Now with the chance of losing Our beloved Frank Gore. Who in your mind was the worst transition from Stud to Dud. I didn't add Phillips because he didn't replace a #1 back. Plus he should be erased from our memories.
[ Edited by 49erEgg on Feb 7, 2015 at 9:03 AM ]
IMO, if Watters doesn't bolt for the Eagles after the '94 championship, the Niners win one or two more in the mid-90's. What a fool. The difference in money probably means next to nothing right now, but instead of an after-thought, he could be sitting there with a few rings and a shot at the Hall.
Clue: Loville.

/end thread
Originally posted by crake49:
IMO, if Watters doesn't bolt for the Eagles after the '94 championship, the Niners win one or two more in the mid-90's. What a fool. The difference in money probably means next to nothing right now, but instead of an after-thought, he could be sitting there with a few rings and a shot at the Hall.

"For who? For what?"

What an idiot he was.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by crake49:

"For who? For what?"

What an idiot he was.

You can add a couple more years of Bar None to the mix too. One can only imagine if Waters was given the ball instead of him.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
delvin williams/ wilbur jackson to oj
Originally posted by English:

/end thread

Are you sure...cause I remember we were trying to get Lawrence Phillips into the lineup and possibly starting
Losing Watters cost us another SB title
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

coming out flat at home in the divisional round as heavy favorites to the Packers in 95 cost us our last chance at a SB. By 96 Green Bay had already taken over as the best team in the NFC
Originally posted by NinerFanInNewEngland:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

coming out flat at home in the divisional round as heavy favorites to the Packers in 95 cost us our last chance at a SB. By 96 Green Bay had already taken over as the best team in the NFC

Right, but a big part of the reason the Niners had trouble with the Packers in those days is that the Packers had no respect for the Niner running game. If I remember correctly, they played almost exclusively in nickle formations against the Niners and the Niners couldn't run on them. In that '95 divisional playoff, the Niners ran 18 times and threw over 60 times.
[ Edited by crake49 on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:07 PM ]

The hometown hero D-Love.

Then again, he won three super bowls
Originally posted by English:

/end thread

This. Im convinced that the 49ers could have won another 1-2 SB's if they had kept Watters. The Packers beat up on the 49ers with no fear of their run game whatsoever.

I think Watters would have changed everything, not just as a runner but receiving out of the backfield.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This. Im convinced that the 49ers could have won another 1-2 SB's if they had kept Watters. The Packers beat up on the 49ers with no fear of their run game whatsoever.

I think Watters would have changed everything, not just as a runner but receiving out of the backfield.

This would have begged the question, would trestman have ran more or would Ricky just have been more productive running the same amout of times and caught more passes vs lovilles 87 catches. My guess is trestman would have maybe ran it a little more, but not close to the 50/50 we were in 1994. Id guess Ricky would have had 225 carries for 850-900 yards, but he probably would have had 100 catches. Would have been great to see what would have happened.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Oh you quote his post even though I said the exact same thing you said...jerk
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Ever since I started watching football back in 1981, there were only 3 RBs in my opinion that coulda played WR had they wanted to..

1) Ricky Watters
2) Marshall Faulk
3) Marcus Allen

The Johnny Johnson (ex-Phoenix) era, was and will always be Bill Walsh worst move ever..
Share 49ersWebzone