LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

What's your favorite...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
2012 nfc championship game. I was there
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Beating Dallas in the 1994 NFC Championship game.

Yup. First thing that came to mind. Such a culmination of events. Hell, the Super Bowl was a forgone conclusion, and within a minute and some change we scored the first touchdown. But the Dallas game meant so much more.
Nov 13th 1994 vs dallas. This game snapped the 3 game losing streak to dallas and set up the stretch run of 1994.

Another one of my favorite games happens to be a loss, it was the 1992 game vs buffalo. Offense almost had 600 yards (with Jerry missing 3 quarters of the game) but cofer went cofer and missed some FGs.
Originally posted by crake49:
Hard for a 50-year fan to decide, but...

Favorite regular season game: Rams, 1989 in LA. Georgie Frontieri is partying on the sideline with the players during the final 2 minutes of the First Half (?) with the Rams leading. Rams take a 24-14 lead into the 4th quarter, but the Niners score 20 in the 4th to win including two short slants to John Taylor, both of which go for TD's of over 90 yards each. Unbelievable.

Favorite post-season game: 1988 Conference Championship game played in Chicago in sub-zero conditions. Media narrative was that the finesse Niners would die hard on the freezing turf in Chicago. Half the Niners came out in shirt-sleeves and they plastered the Bears 28-3. Ditka called it the worst loss of his coaching career. Singletary said he still has bad dreams about that game.

Yup . . . the 88 title game is near and dear to my heart. After a really mediocre regular season judged by the standards at the time, they blasted the Vikes in the Divisional round to help erase the bad taste after 1987 . . . then they physically dismantled da Bears on both sides of the ball . . . on the road, brutal conditions. It was a beautiful thing to watch. I'm feeling warm & fuzzy just thinking about it.
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Feb 6, 2015 at 7:05 AM ]
Yes, the 88 Title game won out, after much thinking. I also wanted to send some props to BY, Bryant Young. I remember the fierceness vividly, but what I will always remember is how he affectionately gave the crowd the thumbs up as he was being carted off the field at Giant's Stadium in 88. I'm not going to explain what had happened - please honor that memory in your own way. But the way he conducted himself was top shelf.
[ Edited by 666SF666SF on Feb 6, 2015 at 1:13 AM ]
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:
Yes, the 88 Title game won out, after much thinking. I also wanted to send some props to BY, Bryant Young. I remember the fierceness vividly, but what I will always remember is how he affectionately gave the crowd the thumbs up as he was being carted off the field at Giant's Stadium in 88. I'm not going to explain what had happened - please honor that memory in your own way. But the way he conducted himself was top shelf.

Isn't it '98? BY entered pro in '94.
Reading through the responses makes me realize just how spoiled we are as 49er fans. From the obvious picks 5 SB games, 6 NFCCG wins, regular season and playoff wins over Dallas, Green Bay, NYG, Denver... the list goes on and on.

I'll throw in the 1998 Wild Card game vs Favre's Packers. 3 straight losses in the playoffs to the Packers and even a loss in that 98 regular season (Young took a beating), and we finally got over the hump. This game holds great re-watch value to this day for me. 2002 Wild Card game vs the Giants was also a pretty special game. Garcia and Owens hit their peak in 2001 and 2002. One last, probably random one, opening day vs the Jets in 1998. This was a great game, highlighted by Hearst's 96 yard OT winner.
I have to admit, i have never really thought about favorite games before. Been a fan since 1976, and watched a lot of games since then. And as I was reading through everyone's response I was thinking about every one. I have to go with the only one I went to with my Father, during the '94 season. It was at RFK Stadium in DC. I still have our ticket stubs, November 6th. We drove down from Connecticut. I remember they introduced the defense, and when they said Deion's name, the crowd booed like crazy. Brent Jones caught a touchdown that looked like a 60 yard catch and run, and Dexter Carter returned a kick off for a TD.
Another special game I went to was the first one after 9-11 in New York, on Monday Night Football, against the Jets. It was surreal. You could still see smoke rising from across the water in Manhattan. And the NY Governor was there, so NO beer. After the game (We won, can't remember the score) I could see Sal Palantonio interviewing Jeff Garcia, and he made Sal look tiny. That dude must be short.
Originally posted by SadowskyMS4:
Originally posted by 666SF666SF:

Isn't it '98? BY entered pro in '94.

And it was at the stick....these fans I tell ya !
1994 NFCCG ...we FINALLY beat them F*ckers ...Steve and Jerry connecting for 6 right before halftime ..Take That Dallas !!!!!!!!!!

• Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
1994 NFCCG ...we FINALLY beat them F*ckers ...Steve and Jerry connecting for 6 right before halftime ..Take That Dallas !!!!!!!!!!

THIS IN SPADES.

Every over 32 49er fan remembers this game like it was yesterday.

I remember Cowboy fans calling foul on Sanders when glued himself to Irvin... not realizing, Irvin was pushing off and grabbing Sanders' collar.

Watching Young run around Haley for 40 yards was nice too, I think he did it twice that game.
Originally posted by Geeked:

THIS IN SPADES.

I remember Cowboy fans calling foul on Sanders when glued himself to Irvin... not realizing, Irvin was pushing off and grabbing Sanders' collar.

Watching Young run around Haley for 40 yards was nice too, I think he did it twice that game.

These same dallas fans didn't mind the bogus hold call in the 1992 title game that erased a 60+ yard Jerry TD.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
My favorite is probably 2011 vs. the Saints. After years of being irrelevant and beating them was awesome. 98 vs. the Packers and 94 vs. Cowboys are right there though.
Originally posted by Geeked:

THIS IN SPADES.

I remember Shanahan opened up the game with 2 naked bootlegs in a row, Steve ripped them a new one
I have trouble picking just one, so I will break it down. Maybe TMI. I know you asked for one, but for me that doesn't exist. Too much history with this franchise.
Regular Season
1. 12-11-1989 San Francisco at Los Angeles (John Taylor explodes)
2. 9-24-1989 SanFrancisco at Philadelphia (Montana shreds the Eagles in the 4th quarter)
3. 9-5-1994 Los Angeles at San Francisco (Record night for GOAT)
4. 10-30-1988 Minnesota at San Francisco (Young's dramatic run)
5. 12-28-1992 Detroit at San Francisco (Bittersweet, last time we would see Montana throw a pass in a Niners uni)
Honorable mention 12-23-2001 the goal line stand vs. Philly at the 'Stick, 10-11-1981 what just happened the Niners blow out the Cowgirls!?!? and, 12-23-2013 Bowman and the last game at the "Stick
Playoffs
1. 1-10-1982 Dallas at San Francisco (The Catch, the NFL's signature moment)
2. 1-8-1989 San Francisco at Chicago (The finesse-ass 49ers beating da Bears in Soldier Field)
3. 1-15-1995 Dallas at San Francisco (Young's defining game/moment)
4. 1-14-2012 New Orleans at San Francisco (The Catch III great game and rebirth of this franchise)
5. 1-14-1990 Los Angeles at San Francisco (Capping the most dominant playoff run, Everett's mystery sack)
SuperBowls
1. XXIV San Francisco 55 Denver 10 (Because the biggest blowout in Superbowl history against a HOFer is just plain fun.)
2. XXIII San Francisco 20 Cincinnati 16 (The drive, Lott's hit on Woods, MVP GOAT, and holding the Bungles without an offensive TD.)
3. XIX San Francisco 38 Miami 16 (15-1 vs. 14-2 shutting down another HOFer.)
4. XVI San Francisco 26 Cincinnati 21 (You never forget your first, and Walsh playing keep away for the entire 2nd half, great coaching.)
5. XXIX San Francisco 49 San Diego 26 (Young's record setting day)

Thanks for reading
Share 49ersWebzone