LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 314 users in the forums

My last day at Candlestick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey guys, I got to cover the first day of demolition at the stick, and the last day of media access ever.

http://sfbay.ca/2015/02/04/crews-reducing-candlestick-to-rubble/

Needless to say, it was a dark, gloomy, apocalyptic relic of my childhood.

The place was not treated with care by the 49ers organization. Literally everything was abandoned.

The dying grass was smooshing beneath my sneakers, banners of ex-players like Donte Whitner, CJ Spillman and Ray McDonald hung silently along the ring of honor.

Graveyards of seats stacked up along the old Giants Dugouts, with the old seating still in tact in each one. The doors to the locker rooms were sealed off with a giant "NO" written on them.

The jumbotron stood tall, almost waiting for one last chance to tell the crowd to get loud.

Ads from the teams sponsors were sliced in half so the workers could remove the lighting.

And I even saw my old seats of where I sat with my girlfriend when Bowman made the pick at the stick.

It was crazy, and I wanted to share my experience/story with you guys just ti remember the stick one last time before it's gone forever in 3 months. I know times are tough with this team right now with all this uncertainty, but it's always nice to reflect back on places like the stick that we all loved to hate. Haha

There's a gallery in there with a lot of good photos as well if any of you are interested to see it for yourselves.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
great pics. fkn depressing. Especially when you consider how Levis is turning out.
Man it's hard to see this pictures.

I know people say it was a dump, but that's besides the point.

Most of us grew up going to games in this stadium, as much as I was a fan as a Kid, my first game was in 2003 against the RAMS. Going to 49er games was always a privilege. even though the stadium was old, it was home. I didn't care about the parking or traffic.

What I loved about going to games, was always getting that feeling of excitement, Now i probably went the most times when they were still one of the worst teams, but I didn't' care.

It was the joy of seeing the team I love play Live! it's a different experience.

Either way, I'll miss the Stick, I'm glad i was able to experience the first play off game in 10 years Live! Best game I've been too.

and it really was the last great game played at Candlestick. I did put this together of all the games i got to go to. all from 2003-2012. Love my 49ers!

I could probably tell you exactly what happened in all each of these game i went to, it's all memories i'll never forget.

Candlestick now is only a memory, but one I won't ever forget.
[ Edited by NinerDreamer11 on Feb 5, 2015 at 1:38 PM ]
I could only WISH! i could get my hands on one chair from the Stick!
I always wanted to go to a game at CandleStick, but nevet got the chance. Makes me kinda sad knowing I'll never get a chance to. I'm about to turn 34 so I really didn't start following the team closely until 92, but the first football game I watched all of the way threw was the Superbowl against Denver and every since then I've loved the Niners....
[ Edited by InsertNameHere on Feb 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerDreamer11:

They were selling them I thought, no?
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

They were selling them, but for an arm or a leg. a price that i could clearly not afford.

But all these extras that they're destroying, any real fan would take those in heart beat regardless of condition.

They were selling them, but for an arm or a leg. a price that i could clearly not afford.

But all these extras that they're destroying, any real fan would take those in heart beat regardless of condition.

How much were they going for?

you spent way more on going to games, the seats will be with you forever

From what i saw, they were going for around 400-700 per chair I believe, but that's way out of my price range.

Let me win the Lotto first.

But good point by 49, but still, I'd want a Candlestick seat, it'd go perfect in my 49er Domain!

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
they should've offered the chairs for free to the season ticket owners.

fkn cheapskates. now look. they're just tossing them all in the garbage.
[ Edited by ChazBoner on Feb 5, 2015 at 1:55 PM ]

From what i saw, they were going for around 400-700 per chair I believe, but that's way out of my price range.

Let me win the Lotto first.

But good point by 49, but still, I'd want a Candlestick seat, it'd go perfect in my 49er Domain!
Thats why i got them..for my 9er Dojo...getting the arm rests sand blasted and powder coated.
What kind of barriers? Figure i'll jump the fence and grab me one
Originally posted by socalniner:
What kind of barriers? Figure i'll jump the fence and grab me one

Grab me one too...
Originally posted by Kronos2560:

The place was not treated with care by the 49ers organization.

The 49ers did not own Candlestick. The city of SF are the ones who are responsible.
Share 49ersWebzone