LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

49ers history thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by crake49:
When I look at the drafts from '95 to '04, it blows my mind that people complain about Baalke's drafts. In all that time, for 10 drafts, they got Terrell Owens in '96, Julian Peterson in '00, Andre Carter in '01, Sopoaga and Andy Lee in '04. During that period, they drafted Rashaun Woods, Isreal Ifeanyi, RW McQuarters, Druckenmiller, Reggie McGrew, Mike Rumph and Kwame Harris with their first picks. YIKES! That's just horrible.

What you talkin bout? Druckenmiller and Rumph were awesome!*insert sarcasm* But seriously, how awesome of a name is "Druckenmiller" It's so close to drunken-Miller - which works in so many ways.....
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
You think the 49ers weren't prepared for free agency when it began in the 90s?

Think it hurt them?

I think they where fine with FA. It was the salary cap that the pissed away miserably. They kept restructuring and deferring like crazy. It finally caught up with them.

I also think, that when you're great for 16 years sometimes it's just time to pay the piper. It'll happen to NE as it happens to all long time successful franchises. My biggest complaint was our time paying up should have been '99 and 2000. However after a small repreive in '01-'02, we did it again in '04-'05.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
What you talkin bout? Druckenmiller and Rumph were awesome!*insert sarcasm* But seriously, how awesome of a name is "Druckenmiller" It's so close to drunken-Miller - which works in so many ways.....

Might be the least mobile, non WCO fitting qb in the history of the sport. I had always heard that Walsh wanted Plummer and that had always intrigued me. Would have been nice to see him sit behind Steve for a couple of seasons and then take over.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Great name. Writes its own joke. Pulling a truck by himself? Ah hell yeah! Playing quarterback? Not so much.

Originally posted by Niners816:
Might be the least mobile, non WCO fitting qb in the history of the sport. I had always heard that Walsh wanted Plummer and that had always intrigued me. Would have been nice to see him sit behind Steve for a couple of seasons and then take over.

That's the story. I've read a number of times that Walsh thought Jake Plummer had a lot more potential. Walsh even said at the time that pulling a truck was not the kind of thing he was looking for in a QB.

1990 SF vs NYG MNF...the good result vs NYG that year
i still want 6
This thread deserves a bump in case someone missed it the first time around. Lotsa good stuff.
But I also thought of this thread when I ran into this looking for something else:

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Every-49ers-Offensive-Coordinator-since-Bill-Walsh/e14f0441-1dbf-4d84-ac5a-30fa3a93678f

1989-1991

OC: Mike Holmgren

Rank in points: 1st, 8th, 3rd

Rank in yards: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

W-L: 38-10

1992-1994

OC: Mike Shanahan

Rank in points: 1st, 1st, 1st

Rank in yards: 1st, 1st, 2nd

W-L: 37-11

1995-1996

OC: Marc Trestman

Rank in points: 1st, 3rd

Rank in yards: 2nd, 6th

W-L: 23-9

1997-2000

OC: Marty Mornhinweg

Rank in points: 5th, 3rd, 22nd, 6th

Rank in yards: 12th, 1st, 10th, 4th

W-L: 35-29

2001-2003

OC: Greg Knapp

Rank in points: 3rd, 13th, 9th

Rank in yards: 4th, 8th, 5th

W-L: 29-19

OC: Ted Tollner

Rank in points: 30th

Rank in yards: 26th

W-L: 2-14

2005 OC: Mike McCarthy

Rank in points: 30

Rank in yards: 32nd

W-L: 4-12

OC: Norv Turner

Rank in points: 24th

Rank in yards: 26th

W-L: 7-9

OC: Jim Hostler

Rank in points: 32nd

Rank in yards: 32nd

W-L: 5-11

OC: Mike Martz

Rank in points: 22nd

Rank in yards: 23rd

W-L: 7-9

2009-2010

OC: Jimmy Raye*

Rank in points: 18th, 24th

Rank in yards: 27th, 24th

W-L: 14-18

*As a reader pointed out, Mike Johnson assumed Raye's role in the midst of the '10 campaign.

2011-2014

OC: Greg Roman

Rank in points: 11th, 11th, 11th, 25th

Rank in yards: 26th, 11th, 24th, 20th

W-L: 44-19-1

2015-

OC: Geep Chryst

Rank in points: ?

Rank in yards: ?

W-L: ?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Think it hurt them?

I think they where fine with FA. It was the salary cap that the pissed away miserably. They kept restructuring and deferring like crazy. It finally caught up with them.

I also think, that when you're great for 16 years sometimes it's just time to pay the piper. It'll happen to NE as it happens to all long time successful franchises. My biggest complaint was our time paying up should have been '99 and 2000. However after a small repreive in '01-'02, we did it again in '04-'05.

Think it hurt them?

we also went to the well one to many times especially on defense to make up for bad drafts. we let our defense get old and did not infuse quality youth in my opinion. we got so desperate we signed a over the hill charles haley. as you know we also did nothing to address a glaring need at running back till the kirby trade. having young as our best runner was a disgrace
was the 87 49ers the deepest team in 49er history?

Either that or the 94 team

Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

94 team? Maybe I guess.

88-90 squads were deep also.
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

I think the '87 team was #1 in the league in both offense and defense. (!) How did that team go one and done losing to the wildcard Vikings? Easily one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. '89 was #1 in offense and #3 in defense, but also had the highest playoff point differential in history. You can't forget '84 - that team was literally 1 questionable call away from 19-0. In points, that team was #2 offense and #1 defense.
I think the '87 team was #1 in the league in both offense and defense. (!) How did that team go one and done losing to the wildcard Vikings? Easily one of the most frustrating games I've ever watched. '89 was #1 in offense and #3 in defense, but also had the highest playoff point differential in history. You can't forget '84 - that team was literally 1 questionable call away from 19-0. In points, that team was #2 offense and #1 defense.

Who was better between the 84 and 89 squad?

The 81 squad gets underrated for their dominance as they did go 13-3.

Who was better between the 84 and 89 squad?

The 81 squad gets underrated for their dominance as they did go 13-3.

In the debate between '84 & '89 it really is a great discussion. I think '84 had the better overall season, '89 had the most dominate post season ever and '89 had Jerry. I always lean towards '89 but it's not a strong lean. Instead, I just consider it lucky we get to have discussions like.
In the debate between '84 & '89 it really is a great discussion. I think '84 had the better overall season, '89 had the most dominate post season ever and '89 had Jerry. I always lean towards '89 but it's not a strong lean. Instead, I just consider it lucky we get to have discussions like.

the 89 team had great depth. Steve Young and Bill Romanowski were backups to Montana and Haley. Bono might be the greatest 3rd string QB ever.

If the 87 squad would have won it all they might have been considered the greatest team in NFL history.
Share 49ersWebzone