LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 209 users in the forums

49ers history thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Niners816:
That first half in 1994 was ridiculous. Steve was something crazy like 15-16 with 4 TDs.

our second game against KC was hard to watch , our O-Line was depleted and couldn't slow down their pass rush ....Steve didn't have the protection to duel it out with Joe

I was referring to the first half of the Atlanta game. 1994 was always like 2 different seasons for me....you had pre philly loss and post philly loss.

After the philly loss and the first quarter of the next game vs Detroit, I don't know if I've seen a more dominant offense for a 14 game stretch ('89 playoff run rivals it though). But Steve in the final 14 games including the playoff was crazy. He was at 70%, 3200 yards 36 TDs 3 ints and a 124 QB rating. I put that up with any 14 game QBing stretch in league history. He was putting Up better passing stats then they current pass happy league 20+ years ago.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
That first half in 1994 was ridiculous. Steve was something crazy like 15-16 with 4 TDs.

our second game against KC was hard to watch , our O-Line was depleted and couldn't slow down their pass rush ....Steve didn't have the protection to duel it out with Joe
playing that game at kc with those fans and joe there? the niners were in a no win situation there. that game showed me we should have kept joe. shipped steve to kansas city for thomas and we would have had two more super bowls . people talk so much about deon that year but had we not called up timmy harris and got him out of running a burger joint, our pass rush would have sucked and 94 could have turned out different
Originally posted by cciowa:

playing that game at kc with those fans and joe there? the niners were in a no win situation there. that game showed me we should have kept joe. shipped steve to kansas city for thomas and we would have had two more super bowls . people talk so much about deon that year but had we not called up timmy harris and got him out of running a burger joint, our pass rush would have sucked and 94 could have turned out different

Talking about 1994, do you remember the Philly game? A load of my members just gave up on the season at that point. One of them shipped me the game tape as he couldn't bear to watch it (neither could I) and told me that no team could come back from that.

But the "what if's" from that era are fascinating. Keep Joe and Bono and trade Steve? Not sure Bono was as good as we thought but who knows?
Originally posted by English:

Talking about 1994, do you remember the Philly game? A load of my members just gave up on the season at that point. One of them shipped me the game tape as he couldn't bear to watch it (neither could I) and told me that no team could come back from that.

But the "what if's" from that era are fascinating. Keep Joe and Bono and trade Steve? Not sure Bono was as good as we thought but who knows?

Watching Steve yell at Seifert on the sidelines after he got benched during the philly game, gave me a bad feeling, I thought our season was going south after that ass whipping

I think Charlie Garner is still breaking off 20+ yard runs from that philly game. Getting hammered like that and Steve's response to it is what made 1994 special.

The biggest what if from 1994 that could have produced more titles would've have been finding a way to keep Mike Shanahan after SB29. Should've paid him whatever and promised him the HC job after George was gone.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

I think Charlie Garner is still breaking off 20+ yard runs from that philly game. Getting hammered like that and Steve's response to it is what made 1994 special.

The biggest what if from 1994 that could have produced more titles would've have been finding a way to keep Mike Shanahan after SB29. Should've paid him whatever and promised him the HC job after George was gone.
no here is what we should have done
never cut lott
kept montana and bono
traded young who could not win the big game to kc for thomas who would have upgraded our defense which was getting old and slow. oh and if you kept lott and dumped young and kept joe you could have kept haley as well
montana could have won us multiple super bowls, bono would have been groomed to take over and run the exact same offfense
by keeping haley and getting thomas from kc for young,. we never would have had to go to salary cap hell and buy a defense for 94 which we paid for dearly in future years
by keeping montana who was not as mobile as young, it would have FORCED the niners to address the running back thing once ricky left town
that is revising history at its highest level
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
oh and cc forgot to mention the biggest most important thing that never happened which should have....... bill walsh never retiring after the 88 super bowl
  • KP82

no here is what we should have done
never cut lott
kept montana and bono
traded young who could not win the big game to kc for thomas who would have upgraded our defense which was getting old and slow. oh and if you kept lott and dumped young and kept joe you could have kept haley as well
montana could have won us multiple super bowls, bono would have been groomed to take over and run the exact same offfense
by keeping haley and getting thomas from kc for young,. we never would have had to go to salary cap hell and buy a defense for 94 which we paid for dearly in future years
by keeping montana who was not as mobile as young, it would have FORCED the niners to address the running back thing once ricky left town
that is revising history at its highest level

If we had kept Watters and Deion, we wouldve easily won the SB in 95 and quite possibly in 96 as Favre struggled against Deion his entire career.

Montana was aging and injured no guarantee he would've won those years. Im glad we traded him when we had the chance.
Montana, Young, and Bono sure was a great QB trio. Quite possibly the best in history. The Raiders at one time had Lamonica, Blanda, and Stabler.
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Montana, Young, and Bono sure was a great QB trio. Quite possibly the best in history. The Raiders at one time had Lamonica, Blanda, and Stabler.
new/Young 9er fan ?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
new/Young 9er fan ?

A young man who loves sports history in general.
oh and cc forgot to mention the biggest most important thing that never happened which should have....... bill walsh never retiring after the 88 super bowl

Even though that 88 team only went 10-6 on their way to the 3rd SB they were crazy deep as Steve Young, Bruce Collie, Romanowski, Brent Jones, John Taylor, Pierce Holt, and Don Griffin were all backups. Probably some more that I forgot about
Was able to get away from work a bit and got me DC's auto

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Was able to get away from work a bit and got me DC's auto

Awesome....I also just love the dynasty era helmet. Give me the old SF sans gold and the Quentin font and I'm happy.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFan816:

Even though that 88 team only went 10-6 on their way to the 3rd SB they were crazy deep as Steve Young, Bruce Collie, Romanowski, Brent Jones, John Taylor, Pierce Holt, and Don Griffin were all backups. Probably some more that I forgot about

I don't remember Romo being a backup? I swear I can still see his name as a starter in the Super Bowl..

Don Griffin as well was a starter..

BUT, do you all remember who started ahead of JOHN TAYLOR??
Share 49ersWebzone