LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

49ers history thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SoCold:
nice question

Actually Joe did better at the beginning and end of his 49ers career than he did in his so called prime. There were 3 years in the middle 85, 86 and 87 when he had 0 td's and 4 int in 3 playoff losses.

Joe and Steve were on the same team from 87-90. IMO either QB wins those back to back super bowls because those teams were so stacked all around. IF only Craig didn't fumble against NY we would have seen if Steve could have pulled out the 3 in a row due to Montana's injury.

Joe's first SB happened because of the catch. IMO Steve would not have made that play as a younger player. Joe was just so cool under pressure in the biggest games it was unreal.

The 1984 team was stacked if Steve was on that team I think they win.

I think Joe had better defenses to help him in the 80's than Steve had in the 90's.
I think Joe would have been better against some of the 90's defenses that Steve had trouble with.

With that said,

I think Steve wins the SB in 1984, 1988 and 1989.
I think Joe wins the SB in 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994, and 1997.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Steve did not have the defense that Joe had in the 80's. Haley was traded to the cowboys because of his loyalty to Joe. Also Joe played in a capless era. Steve would have won more if Haley stayed put and didn't get traded to the cowboys (as that would swing the balance) and also if Rickey Waters didn't take the money and run he would have done better. So if Joe played in the nineties and Steve in the 80's Haley would be loyal to Steve and would still demand a trade. You cannot just dump a person and not take in the consequences and say just switch the players or dump them in the scenario-it is what you call the Butterfly effect.
Originally posted by socalniner:
Joe Montana is the greatest QB to ever play. He would have won more superbowls in the 90's and today, some of those defense were stacked in the 80's that he faced.

I will say that it would be intriguing to see Steve run the read option today. Other than that, Joe dominates in every decade.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I like this assessment. I also think if Joe was healthy 1991 would've been a slam dunk title. We wouldn't have had to break in a newer QB (who coincidently missed 5 games anyway), therefore instead of going 10-6, maybe we go 12-4 or 13-3 and make the playoffs. As it stands, our 1991 team was the hottest team in the league (personally I think they would've won with Steve had they qualified) with a 6-0 record down the stretch. Anyway, 1991 was the precursor to the '92-'94 run.

Usually I steer clear of Joe vs Steve topics because they are my two favorite players (hence the 816 in my name).

Thanks guys! There are some really interesting responses here.
Damn, I missed some great eras of Football, I don't think there would be an era I wouldn't get some enjoyment out of...
I even enjoy the really old stuff...

I see that most of the views although acknowledging both Joe & Steve as great players (Hofers) seem to have Steve benefiting from being on some stacked 80's teams, but also the 90's 49ers benefiting from having an elite Joe Cool at the helm...

WillBill : Sees the comparison as unfair, due to drastic changes to the game by the time the 90's rolled around & acknowledges that too many things would be affected by such an event as this scenario... Making it a difficult question to answer. (I totally respect that. I myself kind of agree it's hard to know what would of happened unless it actually happened, but these questions are fun anyway as some people have no problem answering & when they think back & make the comparison, they find situations that QB A wouldn't have succeeded in where QB B did & vice versa... There is no right or wrong answer, as it can never be tested.

I see SoCold has Steve winning x3 SBs (I know Steve technically has 3 rings anyway) in the 80's benefiting him as a QB, but leaving the team with one fewer trophy in the cabinet.

While believing Joe would pick up an extra two rings verses Steve's one in the 90's (also by the looks of things had the roles been reversed, the two titles in the late 80's suggests that you're under the impression that Joe would have played so well that Steve would not have been given the starting role back when healthy.)

It looks like most seem to believe that while both are talented, Joe has the edge by some margin due to being a more mature QB even at a young age, also the comments suggest that Joe was the more cerebral of the two & that would have been what was needed to overcome the 92 Dallas Cowboys & the 97 Green Bay Packers... It seems like over time Steve Young grew into an All-Time great QB, while Joe came into the league as one...

I really wish the NFL would make an accessible archive of all their games filed decade by decade, I bet they've got a treasure trove of games throughout the years.
I would have been too young to fully appreciate all of the 80's, but old enough if I had had access to enjoy the 90's... The 80's & 90's look like amazing eras in Football, I've seen random games from these periods on YouTube etc.... But I can't watch full seasons so it's hard to grasp just how talented someone truly is. I'd love to watch a full season of Joe Montana play he sounds like Peyton, except he dominates in the postseason too.

Even if the NFL made condensed packages of old games available like they do current games on Game-Pass that'd be outstanding... Foreign guys like myself missed out on the great earlier eras of Football due there not being enough coverage on TV & no Internet or availability on earlier Internet... People may get nostalgic for old school Football, you can't however get nostalgic for old school Internet...

I've been following at least since the early 2000's so I did get to see:
The eccentric Jim Harbaugh & his 49ers teams.
2007 Brady & Moss (Moss in general with the pats) (2007 Giants incredible playoff run.) (I missed Vikings Moss...)
2010 Brady (In general the P.Manning v Brady rivalry/Colts v Patriots)
2004 Peyton
2013 Peyton (2013 Seahawks D) (Don't get mad, the NFC Championship was one of the games of the season.... Intensity, intensity, intensity... (AFC Championship was a little dull to be honest.)
Saints Super Bowl win post Katrina
2011 Rodgers (Shredding them.)
2012 Adrian Peterson (Hell yes I doubted him, I thought the guy would never be the same, Happy I was wrong.)
2006 LT (Beast)
J.J Watt wrecking the league
Prime Revis, Prime Calvin, Prime Andre
Warner with Arizona & that great run (Larry Fitz.)
T.O. in Philly & then Dallas (Beast!) (I really want to see a young T.O. ripping it up for the 49ers, I missed that.)
Pittsburgh v Baltimore matchups (Those Defenses.)
San Francisco v Seattle matchups (Those Defenses.)
Patrick Willis/James Harrison
Troy & Ed
Marvin Harrison
Ray Lewis (Although I missed that 2000 D... I missed TB 2002 as well.)
Sean Taylor
2014 Dallas Cowboys nasty Oline (Romo having his best year, he's not a bad guy... )
Champ/C.Woodson
Devin Hester
Chris Johnson's 2000
Etc, etc

I really can't complain...
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Mar 29, 2016 at 11:26 PM ]
9ers to make history in 2015!

Go Niners!
also in 1982 the strike year there was only 9 games played.
The 49ers 3-6 missed the modified playoffs by one game. Lost 3 games by 3 points or less
Lions made it in with a 4-5 record.
Washington had the best defense in the league that year but it would have been interesting to see 49ers vs Washington instead of the Lions.

49ers should have beat Washington in 1983 to go to the super bowl

The 9ers could have 10 super bowls by now lol

We've gotta be the only franchise that got 5 in 14 years, that's disappointed because with any luck it really could been at least 7-8

'87 was the shocker. How does a team rated #1 in both offense and defense lose convincingly to a wildcard Vikings team? By having a horrible game.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
That year was brutal, but thankfully we were never asked to play against USC that year. I wasn't sure we would of won against them. The 2004 team was the hardest team to watch play.
2003-2005.Only made me stronger in my conviction. Some personal stories about those seasons.. . back in those days my brother was into collage betting. he was pretty good at it. Not really a 49ers Fan. All i heard was "blah ..blah.blah" USC.. Reggie this Matt That....
I would be lying but i dont remember the score on that new years day game between the 49ers and Texans.(a so called reggie bowl game)
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I wanted to put this somewhere else to prove a point but I'll leave it here cause last year is part of history.

Lost to chicago 20-28, turned the ball over 4 times
Lost to Rams 10-13, 2 turnovers
Lost to SD, 3 turnovers

honorable mentions
our home loss to SEA, 3 TO
lost to the Raiders, 2 TO, mostly lost because our CB's got hurt and they gave up 3 TD to a rookie QB

15 turnovers in 8 L
7 turnovers in 8 W
wow weird!

Yet I see some people think coaches should be the ones making plays.

We hold onto the ball and win just 3 of those games they go 11-5.
Bummer
WTGJ

Should have 10 Super Bowls by now.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
had willie mcgee not got hurt in 76, we would have won the super bowl, the gold rush would have shut down oakland , steelers or whoever, plunket would have been a good game manager to a nice 16-6 win, the gold rush would have set a super bowl record for sacks in a super bowl game that still stands to this day
Harbaugh =

Preseason offense struggles got you down? Do what I do, that is, watch a s**t ton of old games with damn near perfect offenses Here is a SB29 preview.....it was just as ugly.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Aug 31, 2015 at 1:29 PM ]
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:

It warms my heart to see the Cowboys anywhere other than FIRST. Too bad they had a few good years.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Aug 30, 2015 at 5:19 PM ]

I wanted to put this somewhere else to prove a point but I'll leave it here cause last year is part of history.

Lost to chicago 20-28, turned the ball over 4 times
Lost to Rams 10-13, 2 turnovers
Lost to SD, 3 turnovers

honorable mentions
our home loss to SEA, 3 TO
lost to the Raiders, 2 TO, mostly lost because our CB's got hurt and they gave up 3 TD to a rookie QB

15 turnovers in 8 L
7 turnovers in 8 W
wow weird!

Yet I see some people think coaches should be the ones making plays.

We hold onto the ball and win just 3 of those games they go 11-5.
Bummer
WTGJ

Should have 10 Super Bowls by now.

2 fumbles in 1 NFCCG by 1 player.
[ Edited by jedediahyork on Aug 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM ]
I don't get the doom and gloom. This is still a very talented ball club. In recent history the two drop dead years were '99 & '04. '99 is still my most painful because I was too young to experience pre Walsh era football. 2004 was just a senseless butchering of a team. It's like no lessons were learned from 1999. This current situation is nothing like those years.

It was much stronger a year ago. Now... new coaches? Veterans and All Stars..gone.. The lineups..offense and defense.. much depleted. I'd be looking for signs of progress.. new blood stepping up, good coaching. Here's where there's got to be resilience.. SMART moves. Right now.. York/baalke don't look good. The Niners were SO close to another title.....now? getting back to the playoffs may be hard. Willis,Smith, Borland..maybe Brooks? that's a great set of linebackers. Goodbye. J Smith..gone. Losses on the O-line...RB..WR.

Warm weather Cali team going to Chicago in January.....I wonder what will happen

Preseason offense struggles got you down? Do what I do, that is, what a s**t ton of old games with damn near perfect offenses Here is a SB29 preview.....it was just as ugly.

Holly s**t. Thank you for sharing this. I remember that game like it was yesterday. We destroyed them.
I don't have time to go through all the thread.

Feel good moment

Garrison Hearst TD run

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/9/6/9269653/garrison-hearst-had-his-96-yard-ot-touchdown-17-years-ago-today
Share 49ersWebzone