There are 188 users in the forums

Tim Lewis-DB coach

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mods, feel free to slap a rumor on here but I'm really excited about this hire.

Tim Lewis our "supposed" DB coach!

Thoughts?
any details about the guy?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Gathering them now, I'm gonna post them in a bit.
He's developed some talent though, Trufant for example.
I'll get some more info
  • Veteran
Who is this guy now?
Originally posted by jreff22:

Long time DB coach with Pittsburgh under Cowher, two time DC with Pittsburgh and the Giants, former NFL DB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2015 at 2:12 PM ]
Another guy with DC experience. Been on good coaching staffs and defenses for the majority of his career.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is something

Defensive backs coach Tim Lewis, who helped developed second-year cornerbacks Desmond Trufant and Robert Alford, is set to join the San Francisco 49ers, according to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports.

Former Washington assistant Raheem Morris will be the Falcons next defensive backs coach.

The Falcons had Lewis come the office last Monday to evaluate the defensive backs' play from last season as his last official duty.

The development of the cornerbacks was one of the lone bright spots on the league's 32nd ranked defense.

Lewis joined the Falcons in 2010 after stints with the Pittsburgh Steelers (1995-2003) and New York Giants (2004-2006).

http://atlantafalcons.blog.ajc.com/2015/01/31/report-tim-lewis-named-defensive-backs-coach/
Our coaching staff is rounding out nicely.

I wonder who's in charge of the DBs positioning on say, 3rd and 4 and having them up at the line to press the WRs so the QB can't complete easy passes to pick up first downs. That drove me crazy more than anything with Fangio. I hope that's something that we don't see with this new defensive coaching unit.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Pretty happy about the Tim Lewis hire. Dude was a great D coordinator for the steelers for years. A couple so-so years with the Giants, but the guy has proven he can get it done
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:
Pretty happy about the Tim Lewis hire. Dude was a great D coordinator for the steelers for years. A couple so-so years with the Giants, but the guy has proven he can get it done

i don't know the answer but if he was a great D coordinator why was he let go in Pittsburgh?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
I spoke with Dave Choate from The Falcoholic to get his thoughts on Lewis. He said he was well-liked by the players, and he thinks Lewis is a good coach. He mentioned that he did good work helping develop guys like Desmond Trufant and Kemal Ishmael the last couple of years. Dave feels he did a lot with the secondary in spite of injuries, and views this a really solid hire by the 49ers.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/31/7957311/49ers-to-hire-tim-lewis-for-db-coach-clancy-pendergast-for-ilb-coach
I remember I wanted him to be DC here a while back. but what was he doing recently? I hope he wasn't out of football for a while.
In his first season in Atlanta, Lewis made an immediate impact in the Falcons secondary in 2010. One of the many areas where his presence was strongly felt was in the rapid development of CB Brent Grimes. Lewis' meticulous work with Grimes vaulted the former small school product from Shippensburg from a potential starter in the preseason into a spot on the NFC Pro Bowl squad. Grimes emerged through Lewis' help to set a new team record for passes defensed in a season (23). He was targeted 113 times by opposing quarterbacks and fought through that barrage to emerge as a dependable starter in a revamped Falcons secondary. Grimes showcased his talents and made Lewis proud by picking off a pass in the Pro Bowl.

Grimes went from an NFL Europe guy to a regular Pro Bowler and it all started with Lewis it seems.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
I spoke with Dave Choate from The Falcoholic to get his thoughts on Lewis. He said he was well-liked by the players, and he thinks Lewis is a good coach. He mentioned that he did good work helping develop guys like Desmond Trufant and Kemal Ishmael the last couple of years. Dave feels he did a lot with the secondary in spite of injuries, and views this a really solid hire by the 49ers.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/31/7957311/49ers-to-hire-tim-lewis-for-db-coach-clancy-pendergast-for-ilb-coach

Thanks for the link.

• DeUh
  • Veteran
Tim Lewis Biography

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches/Tim-Lewis/ae976549-fec3-4b7c-b977-00b834561740
Share 49ersWebzone