There are 173 users in the forums

Potential Ways to create cap space, plus contract guarantees, bonuses due, etc.. for 2015

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I felt this deserved its own thread, if you guys feel it needs to be merged, then that's fine, but this is something that I think people should see, as they overlook the threat that is pinned.

2015 Contract Guarantees:

Colin Kaepernick $10,400,000 Base
Anquan Boldin $3,000,000 Base
Anthony Davis $1,850,000 Base
Phil Dawson $500,000 Base
Tramiane Brock $1,850,000 Base
Antoine Bethea $3,000,000 Base
Bruce Miller $819,000 Base
NaVorro Bowman $4,700,000 Base
Aldon Smith $9,754,000 Base
Lawrence Okoye $50,000 Base
Eric Reid $1,175,978 Base
Jimmie Ward $743,297 Base
Kendall Hunter $100,000 Base
Joe Staley $6,000,000 Option
Daniel Kilgore $600,000 Roster

For the above players, they are all guaranteed money on April 1st, 2015, except Bowman and Aldon, who are due on March 10th or March 11 2015, also Reid, Ward and Okoye have the guarantees written in there contracts as being automatic.

Some potential cap cuts.

Vernon Davis - $4.9M saved if cut
Dawson- $3.134M saved if cut
Ahmad Brooks - $4,008,750 saved if cut/traded
Craig Dahl - $1.7M saved if cut
Stevie Johnson - $6.025M saved if cut (I don't see him being cut, due to unknown in Ellington and Patton, and Boldin getting older)

Ways to create cap space.

Restructure Kap, saves $7.724M
Extend Aldon on a long term deal, but it's designed as a series of 1yr options, saves a max of $7,207,200
Restructure Willis, saves $4.956M(I could see a short extension for him to assure he retires a 49er, I don't buy the rumors of him being shopped or being cut, makes no sense to me)

Now I know some will say why not cut the guys who have guarantees on a certain date, well for Bethea, he only saves $1M if cut before April 1st, and honestly we couldn't get a better safety for that price, Bethea was a top 5 Safety in 2014.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
better not cut Stevie J. with Crab leaving, he needs to be an instrumental cog in the offense next season.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:
better not cut Stevie J. with Crab leaving, he needs to be an instrumental cog in the offense next season.

He isn't wothh 6 million though, maybe like 4 million
Gotta disagree on Stevie Johnson. I think the FO looks at $6 M and craps on itself. Clearly winning is not their priority. The bottom line is
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
Gotta disagree on Stevie Johnson. I think the FO looks at $6 M and craps on itself. Clearly winning is not their priority. The bottom line is

Who would pay him $6 million?
So what you're telling me is that there's no way in hell Dahl is coming back................................

Thanks AB! So this would possibly clear up 40 million in cap space? That would help quite a bit to bring in FAs at WR, OL or D. Right now they are 2.6 million over for next year, so that brings it to 37.4 million if they make all the moves you list. The draftees could take another 7 million, so that brings it to 30.4 million. Even if they only succeed with half of your projected cuts it will mean about 10 million in cap space for FAs. Is this in the ball park? Or am I way off?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
So what you're telling me is that there's no way in hell Dahl is coming back................................

Since this is bizarro off-season, they are probably getting ready to extend him and pay him like a starter. Bethea better be worried tho, all he did was play great and make the pro bowl

Right. We need to restructure Stevie with Crab leaving. Stevie/Boldin/Bruce/Patton then a high pick on a WR.

Now this I agree with you...and even in the very unlikely event Crabtree did come back, Johnson should still play the bigger role because he's flat-out better.

Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Now this I agree with you...and even in the very unlikely event Crabtree did come back, Johnson should still play the bigger role because he's flat-out better.

Want to keep Johnson but am still worried about the comments criticizing his route running. A second year with Kaepernick should really help them be on the smae page. Keeping him is good insurance with Boldin's age.
If our Free agency goes like our coaching search has Baalke will need to have an awesome draft.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
If our Free agency goes like our coaching search has Baalke will need to have an awesome draft.

Why? We never do much in FA.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

Want to keep Johnson but am still worried about the comments criticizing his route running. A second year with Kaepernick should really help them be on the smae page. Keeping him is good insurance with Boldin's age.

I don't think he's necessarily "undisciplined" in his route running as much as he'll take what the DB gives him. In Buffalo he was often lined up to one side by himself, so he didn't have to worry about crowding into another receiver's route or screwing up the spacing..he had the freedom to improvise. And this is where you need a COACHING STAFF that sees what he can do and utlizes it..and like you say, a second year with Kaepernick should help to where they're just playing street football together..."okay, corner has inside leverage, he's going to break outside."
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 16to87:

Who would pay him $6 million?

I think a lot of teams would pay a very good 28 year old #2 receiver $6mil/yr.
Share 49ersWebzone