There are 163 users in the forums

Geep Chryst Offensive Coordinator Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NCommand:
Nice article here on Chryst/CK:

Purdy: 49ers' new OC defends Kaepernick
By Mark Purdy

SANTA CLARA -- With just days left until 49ers training camp opens, the team's new offensive coordinator is not about to declare that his playbook is a bible for instant success and an undefeated season and free beer for the entire upper deck at Levi's Stadium.

Geep Chryst knows better.

"The thing is, we're not in a position right now to boast or brag or tell the world what we're going to do," Chryst said Monday toward the end of a 45-minute interview at team headquarters. "We're not. We have to go to work. And we have to earn the respect of each other and our teammates. And then we'll go out and try to take care of business."

By any measure, Chryst will be a significant part of that business. His promotion from 49ers quarterbacks coach to coordinator was not the sexiest headline in a tumultuous offseason. But now the actual football begins. Chryst's role will come into sharp focus.

He's a convivial guy who loves talking shop, which fans should enjoy. Chryst's predecessor, Greg Roman, was an earnest grinder but sometimes gave the impression that he was trying to find the formula for nuclear cold fusion. Chryst has simplified the 49ers' play calling. He's a strong believer in team chemistry. He grew up with the game. His dad was a coach at Wisconsin. Then Geep went off to play linebacker at Princeton and earn an Ivy League degree before starting a coaching career that has spanned 22 NFL seasons with five franchises.

This background means that Chryst can converse on lots of subjects. But in Monday's wide-ranging discussion, the most interesting territory concerned a familiar topic: Colin Kaepernick. The 49ers quarterback had Chryst as a position coach for the past four years.

"I'm anxious to see Kap," Chryst said, "because I think he's anxious to show people where he's at and where he can take his game."

To no one's shock, Chryst is a Kap fan. In addressing the perception that the quarterback "regressed" last season, Chryst first outlined Kaepernick's remarkable career progression from rookie backup to meteoric starter who came within seconds of reaching two consecutive Super Bowls in 2012 and 2013.

"And then last year," Chryst said, "you're playing with some different sets of challenges. There was more change within the offensive line than he had experienced the last couple of years. How does that affect your production as a quarterback? You're behind more often in games. How does that affect your production as a quarterback? I cite the fact that we had six touchdowns nullified by penalty. You plug that back into his formula, he really wasn't ... he didn't regress off his line as much as perceived. "

Kaepernick had the most passing yards in his career in 2014, but the offense frequently looked disjointed. The team's 8-8 record reflected it.

"Which is also a great lesson to learn," Chryst said, "that you're only as good as walking off the field in victory."

So Chryst doesn't buy the idea that opponents have cracked the Kaepernick code and figured out how to stymie him?

"No," Chryst said. "Football is a team sport. And I can show examples of where Kap was at a disadvantage because his team wasn't playing as well as it was around him in other games. But part of the challenge of playing quarterback is to overcome that."

Kaepernick must do that quickly. The 49ers offense can't afford another disjointed season, especially out of the gate. The defensive unit's turnover has been enormous. The offense will have to carry more of a load. Fortunately for the 49ers, some offensive additions, including wide receiver Torrey Smith and running back Reggie Bush, give Kaepernick a few more toys to play with and enjoy.

At his various job stops, Chryst has had the opportunity to work with a fascinating array of good and bad quarterbacks: Jake Plummer, Josh McCown, Boomer Esiason, Ryan Leaf, Erik Kramer, Jeff Blake, Alex Smith -- and even Jim Harbaugh, in his final seasons with San Diego. How does Kaepernick fit in with those people?

"Well, he's got a unique skill set," Chryst said. "If you want a cookie-cutter quarterback, Kap's not going to be the first one you'll pull out. But ... Kap's taller. Kap's just as smart as any of these guys. Kap's got as strong an arm as any of these guys. Kap's faster than any of these guys. So you start checking these boxes ... '' And?

"He stacks up right there with all those guys," Chryst said. "Now he just needs the experience -- and the optimism that this is his year. This could be his greatest year yet. And what a great thing to think about on the doorstep of training camp. He's worked hard. And I think that's exciting for all of us. Because he is motivated to make it his greatest year yet."

This was not Chryst bragging or boasting, understand. Although it might have been him thinking wishfully. In July, that is permitted. Required, really. Chryst's offense bears watching. It will be no problem finding people to do that with No. 7 behind center.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_28546632/purdy-49ers-chryst-has-lot-his-plate

Dude....Chryst is such a homer.

I mean seriously, doesn't he know the internets have spoken and he and Kap will fail?
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Originally posted by cciowa:
The truth is that every NFL team is talented. It's not like random people are getting signed off the streets.

No one will deny that we had a ton of talent prior to Harbaugh but couldn't sniff the playoffs until he came.

have already figured out your game plan. if we suck this year you will take great pleasure in it. if we fail you will always say jt deserves no credit cuz it was done with players left over from the JH regime. nice how you always try to put your self in a no lose situation

No if we win he is gonna get grilled, it will be hilarious. I assume he is hoping we lose.

Uhh, I think I get grilled here on the daily, I'm used to it and it doesn't stop me from sharing my intuitions, and insight from extensive research!

I warned you guys about Harbaugh getting fired and when he did, I didn't pat my back, I was actually sad.

...is THAT what you call it?
Originally posted by crake49:
Uhh, I think I get grilled here on the daily, I'm used to it and it doesn't stop me from sharing my intuitions, and insight from extensive research!

I warned you guys about Harbaugh getting fired and when he did, I didn't pat my back, I was actually sad.

Actually, iirc you were patting yourself on the back vigorously and repeatedly.

Over pretty much anything he says true or not.
Originally posted by crake49:

Actually, iirc you were patting yourself on the back vigorously and repeatedly.

No I wasn't. I was only reminding you guys.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
The truth is that every NFL team is talented. It's not like random people are getting signed off the streets.

No one will deny that we had a ton of talent prior to Harbaugh but couldn't sniff the playoffs until he came.

have already figured out your game plan. if we suck this year you will take great pleasure in it. if we fail you will always say jt deserves no credit cuz it was done with players left over from the JH regime. nice how you always try to put your self in a no lose situation

No if we win he is gonna get grilled, it will be hilarious. I assume he is hoping we lose.
of course he does and so do many others around here,, some do not like to hear it but it is the truth... back to the new OC, sure i was underwhelmed by it but i have a open mind, what they did in the past means nothing to me. i understand you can not believe anything the coaches say verb but in the things he has said and in interviews he has done( which is already more than the x egomaniac coach allowed him to do) he gets it, he knows what we and ck need to do to be successful ,, now it just needs to translate to on to the practice field, the pre season and when the bullets start to fly for real
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...is THAT what you call it?

Gonna keep it real and admit I don't research everything unless it's drama within an organization. I feel like I should've been a private investigator, I can smell drama from a mile away.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
You warned us before the story about JH possibly being shipped to CLE came out?

I doubt it

That was the story that sparked my investigation.
Gonna keep it real and admit I don't research everything unless it's drama within an organization. I feel like I should've been a private investigator, I can smell drama from a mile away.

So you didnt call anything, lol
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
verb1der P.I.

EXTENSIVE RESEARCH!!!!! EXTENSIVE!

my cousin's uncle's shoeshine boy once skyped with the vietnamese woman who does Jed York's assistant's secretary's nails. i know lots!

Yes I did, I said Harbaugh was on the hot seat and will most likely get fired, but people kept saying I was trolling.

exactly

• cciowa
  • Veteran
I hope Geep encourages CK to be more open with the media during the season. He seemed to take the JH approach and act like a dick to them during the season. I don't see any need for that, CK is a good guy with a good personality.

i think we have already seen a change in the personality and the way ck is acting and interviewing
Originally posted by boast:
verb1der P.I.

my cousin's uncle's shoeshine boy once skyped with the vietnamese woman who does Jed York's assistant's secretary's nails. i know lots!

I think he meant extended family research. What's with the nieces and nephews, from the posts that I've skim through.
I hope Geep encourages CK to be more open with the media during the season. He seemed to take the JH approach and act like a dick to them during the season. I don't see any need for that, CK is a good guy with a good personality.

i think we have already seen a change in the personality and the way ck is acting and interviewing

Hope so, CK is always himself during the offseason, hopefully he doesn't clam up during the season.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
verb1der P.I.

I think he meant extended family research. What's with the nieces and nephews, from the posts that I've skim through.

Crack jokes now, but my friend is the manager of the team store inside Levi's stadium, he's well connected. You guys will think I'm joking but s**t is real.
[ Edited by verb1der on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:41 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
verb1der P.I.

Crack jokes now, but my friend is the manager of the team store inside Levi's stadium, he's well connected. You guys will think I'm joking but s**t is real.
whats real ?...i missed your prediction
Share 49ersWebzone