LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Geep Chryst Offensive Coordinator Thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gotcah. So i guess i want to axe the read-option part of it.

Okay. Now I understand.

That makes more sense...although if we are successful in a zone blocking scheme, every running back including CK would have a lot of success running off tackle and usually, with a FB or RB leading the way (safer). It also stretches the defense out helping to open up things inside..can also roll out and pass out of it making that formation look even less predictable.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 3, 2015 at 11:23 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

That makes more sense...although if we are successful in a zone blocking scheme, every running back including CK would have a lot of success running off tackle and usually, with a FB or RB leading the way (safer). It also stretches the defense out helping to open up things inside..can also roll out and pass out of it making that formation look even less predictable.

If we can get that Alfred Morris production from Hyde and Co., that would be fantastic.

I don't want to see Kap running off-tackle very much. All it takes is for one bone head like Clay Matthews or dirty seacawk to fly in there and take him out. I remember in our last NFCC, the Seaturds were taking some extra and unnecessary shots.

Id rather have him roll out to pass or have quick hitting routes or run a play action.

If we can get that Alfred Morris production from Hyde and Co., that would be fantastic.

I don't want to see Kap running off-tackle very much. All it takes is for one bone head like Clay Matthews or dirty seacawk to fly in there and take him out. I remember in our last NFCC, the Seaturds were taking some extra and unnecessary shots.

Id rather have him roll out to pass or have quick hitting routes or run a play action.

I think we're all right there with you on that one. The good news is that IF we do choose to run him out of this formation, he's usually very smart about it (safe).

I think we're all right there with you on that one. The good news is that IF we do choose to run him out of this formation, he's usually very smart about it (safe).

Surprisingly so, actually. I don't remember seeing him slide at UNR, but now he slides when he sees color if there is no apparent seam. I get frustrated, seeing the extra few yards he could push for, then I remind myself that he's avoiding injury, and that he's too valuable to lose. Then I get mad tat we are calling a pplay for a runner who we don't want getting hit. Then he breaks one for 30 yards.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I really dont mind keeping part of the Pistol... Kaep grew up in Nevada running plays off of the Pistol Offense, so I think it's kinda good that we keep some of them...

But only the ones that he's really good at, don't try to be too cute and make a Run n Gun offense out of it..

It won't work for Kap. Not because Kap isn't an excellent dynamic runner but because defenses key in on him and him alone. They overplay him like nobody else in the NFL. So keep the pistol formation and eliminate the qb run option of it. They seemingly tackle him on every designed run because they will let him do whatever he wants ...but run on him.

There were dozens of opportunities last season to take advantage of it. Every time Hyde got in the game and they ran the option he was through the hole because the defense was frozen... every single time.. it was just that kap kept it and the play didn't work. Hyde could have ripped off 6-8 yards a carry it looked like on those reads and he actually scored some touchdowns on those reads from the goal line as well.

If Kap steps up the entire defense steps up- as illustrated by the Boldin touchdown to end the season. Kap stepped up the entire middle of the field vacated its responsibilities and Boldin slipped behind them for an EASY td.

It's also why it felt like every single roll out play and throw back to the opposite side was wide open-- because it was.. even against Seattle.

Nobody stays at home. Where Kap goes, so does every single person on defense period.

Hopefully the guys can see what we've been seeing.

With no qb read and play action roll outs last year we probably win 2 more games easily... and could have possibly pulled out a couple more.
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

It won't work for Kap. Not because Kap isn't an excellent dynamic runner but because defenses key in on him and him alone. They overplay him like nobody else in the NFL. So keep the pistol formation and eliminate the qb run option of it. They seemingly tackle him on every designed run because they will let him do whatever he wants ...but run on him.

There were dozens of opportunities last season to take advantage of it. Every time Hyde got in the game and they ran the option he was through the hole because the defense was frozen... every single time.. it was just that kap kept it and the play didn't work. Hyde could have ripped off 6-8 yards a carry it looked like on those reads and he actually scored some touchdowns on those reads from the goal line as well.

If Kap steps up the entire defense steps up- as illustrated by the Boldin touchdown to end the season. Kap stepped up the entire middle of the field vacated its responsibilities and Boldin slipped behind them for an EASY td.

It's also why it felt like every single roll out play and throw back to the opposite side was wide open-- because it was.. even against Seattle.

Nobody stays at home. Where Kap goes, so does every single person on defense period.

With no qb read and play action roll outs last year we probably win 2 more games easily... and could have possibly pulled out a couple more.

Ahhhhh, but it should work THIS year. Excellent point BTW. Defenses absolutely key in on CK and more often than not, assign a spy to him. But the reason it should work this year is b/c we'll run 2 RB's out in the flat usually and one RB (opposite side of the flow) should have nobody on him d/t the spy and preoccupation with deep speed, Boldin, VD, etc. So I would imagine he would have the option to run with a FB/RB leading, hand off to them if the defense does not flow or plant and hit the wide open back who flared out of the backfield on the other side (as an example)...while most of the defense (by this point) has their backs to the play defending (most likely, all go-routes, to clear as much space as possible). And then if we hit Bush/Hunter a few times, it starts to open up CK on the edge again. Chess match.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM ]

Ahhhhh, but it should work THIS year. Excellent point BTW. Defenses absolutely key in on CK and more often than not, assign a spy to him. But the reason it should work this year is b/c we'll run 2 RB's out in the flat usually and one RB (opposite side of the flow) should have nobody on him d/t the spy and preoccupation with deep speed, Boldin, VD, etc. So I would imagine he would have the option to run with a FB/RB leading, hand off to them if the defense does not flow or plant and hit the wide open back who flared out of the backfield on the other side (as an example)...while most of the defense (by this point) has their backs to the play defending (most likely, all go-routes, to clear as much space as possible). And then if we hit Bush/Hunter a few times, it starts to open up CK on the edge again. Chess match.

that's a possibility but i truly believe teams would rather have wide open backs running down the field than kap beating them running. green bay spent all summer trying to stop him from running and didn't care he threw for 400 yards against them remember? i think that is where his impact will be felt the most.

plus he's 1000x's way more dangerous on scramble plays than designed runs. let the backs run let him scramble and pick up chunks of yards in the 10-20 yard range and go out of bounds like he usually does. those plays break the backs of the defense way more than designed runs and limit his chances of taking a good pop.

that's a possibility but i truly believe teams would rather have wide open backs running down the field than kap beating them running. green bay spent all summer trying to stop him from running and didn't care he threw for 400 yards against them remember? i think that is where his impact will be felt the most.

plus he's 1000x's way more dangerous on scramble plays than designed runs. let the backs run let him scramble and pick up chunks of yards in the 10-20 yard range and go out of bounds like he usually does. those plays break the backs of the defense way more than designed runs and limit his chances of taking a good pop.

Oh heck yeah! Seattle didn't even bother to cover RB's either. The big difference? Our GM (Hunter/Bush/Davis) and THIS coaching staff already know this and have focused big time on 2 back-sets, flaring the RB's out into the flats and ensuring CK is hitting them as primary reads or check-downs (including Millard out of the backfield). So it's film work...coaching IQ...implementing scheme/game plan...and execution (last).

Oh heck yeah! Seattle didn't even bother to cover RB's either. The big difference? Our GM (Hunter/Bush/Davis) and THIS coaching staff already know this and have focused big time on 2 back-sets, flaring the RB's out into the flats and ensuring CK is hitting them as primary reads or check-downs (including Millard out of the backfield). So it's film work...coaching IQ...implementing scheme/game plan...and execution (last).

This should help Kap a lot. He's struggled against Seattle's zone, as have most QBs. Will really help to have a consistent passing game to the RBs. We now have a weapon like Reggie Bush to motion out and create a mismatch, as opposed to foolishly motioning Bruce Miller out wide pretending like he's a threat. Finally we have some deep threat WRs to challenge their corners. Can't let Seattle just sit in their base defense and control the game. Have to pick them apart in vacated zones and force them to adjust.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

This should help Kap a lot. He's struggled against Seattle's zone, as have most QBs. Will really help to have a consistent passing game to the RBs. We now have a weapon like Reggie Bush to motion out and create a mismatch, as opposed to foolishly motioning Bruce Miller out wide pretending like he's a threat. Finally we have some deep threat WRs to challenge their corners. Can't let Seattle just sit in their base defense and control the game. Have to pick them apart in vacated zones and force them to adjust.

Exactly!!!!

I thought Seattle played primarily man coverage?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

They play cover 3 zone. Corners play a mix of man and zone, but the defense is primarily in zone.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

They play cover 3 zone. Corners play a mix of man and zone, but the defense is primarily in zone.

TY!
Share 49ersWebzone