LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

49ers Rushing Ranks During Greg Roman Stint

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So Greg Roman claimed we "could have" led the league in rushing every year.If so then why did he go spread/shotgun through out the 2014 season? What is he trying to say exactly "could have"? Is he saying his offensive schemes were tampered with? Or that the 9ers were in prime position going into the 2015 season with all the pieces falling into place??

49ers rushing ranks

2011 8th 498 ATT 4.1 AVG

2012 4th 492 ATT 5.1 AVG

2013 3rd 505 ATT 4.4 AVG

2014 4th 470 ATT 4.6 AVG

Despite more passing attempts than rushing attempts, injury's to both D.Kilgore and A.Davis we were still 4th in 2014. To me that says ALOT about our ground game and the best has yet to come.
Originally posted by Since07:
So Greg Roman claimed we "could have" led the league in rushing every year.If so then why did he go spread/shotgun through out the 2014 season? What is he trying to say exactly "could have"? Is he saying his offensive schemes were tampered with? Or that the 9ers were in prime position going into the 2015 season with all the pieces falling into place??

49ers rushing ranks

2011 8th 498 ATT 4.1 AVG

2012 4th 492 ATT 5.1 AVG

2013 3rd 505 ATT 4.4 AVG

2014 4th 470 ATT 4.6 AVG

Despite more passing attempts than rushing attempts, injury's to both D.Kilgore and A.Davis we were still 4th in 2014. To me that says ALOT about our ground game and the best has yet to come.

The gem was him saying we could have led the rushing every year but he wanted to win..
That right there should make niner fans rejoice.
You run the ball you're in back to back super bowls
You run the ball from 5 yards out you're a super bowl winning offensive coordinator
But he wanted to win.
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:04 PM ]
Man, we sure ran the ball well in spite of Greg Roman
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Since07:

49ers rushing ranks

2011 8th 498 ATT 4.1 AVG

2012 4th 492 ATT 5.1 AVG

2013 3rd 505 ATT 4.4 AVG

2014 4th 470 ATT 4.6 AVG

The gem was him saying we could have led the rushing every year but he wanted to win..
That right there should make niner fans rejoice.
You run the ball you're in back to back super bowls
You run the ball from 5 yards out you're a super bowl winning offensive coordinator
But he wanted to win.

So true. So many loses due to not/abandoning the run.
  • thl408
http://www.chatsports.com/san-francisco-49ers/a/Alex-Boone-called-in-to-radio-station-to-talk-about-Jim-Tomsula-hiring-2-11013426

--------------------
Topic: On if Greg Roman lost sight of the offense's strengths:

Alex Boone: No. I don't think so. I think G-Ro always had it in the back of his mind who we were. I think sometimes we didn't put ourselves in the best situations, so we kind of had to get ourselves out of situations. I would never talk bad about G-Ro. I have great respect for the guy. And I think he came under enormous pressure. I mean no question, people came down on him hard. At the same time, people forget how the game is played. You go down, you can't just keep running the ball, you have to spread it out. I think his thing was was, 'I'm trying to keep people away from loading the box.' We would talk all the time, and I'd say, 'G-Ro, we gotta run the ball.' And he'd be like, 'Dude, what are you going to do, run against nine guys in the box? You're going to run against that?' We gotta spread people out, we gotta make them fear our pass game. That's what he was always trying to do. I think sometimes we hurt ourselves doing it. You know, giving up sacks, throwing bad balls, not catching the ball. That was on us. For the most part, his heart was always in the right place. He always wanted to run the rock and give it to Frank.
Originally posted by TheRambler:
Man, we sure ran the ball well in spite of Greg Roman

LOL.
I don't think the philosophy shift was quite as radical as people think. We trended toward greater balance, but we trailed in more games this year, and we only ran the ball 3% less than we did in 2011.

2014: 487 passes, 470 runs... 49.1% run
2013: 417 passes, 505 runs... 54.8% run
2012: 436 passes, 492 runs... 53.0% run
2011: 451 passes, 498 runs... 52.5% run

I don't think the problem was run/pass balance, but just predictability and generally horrible use of personnel.
Originally posted by thl408:
http://www.chatsports.com/san-francisco-49ers/a/Alex-Boone-called-in-to-radio-station-to-talk-about-Jim-Tomsula-hiring-2-11013426

--------------------

Alex Boone: No. I don't think so. I think G-Ro always had it in the back of his mind who we were. I think sometimes we didn't put ourselves in the best situations, so we kind of had to get ourselves out of situations. I would never talk bad about G-Ro. I have great respect for the guy. And I think he came under enormous pressure. I mean no question, people came down on him hard. At the same time, people forget how the game is played. You go down, you can't just keep running the ball, you have to spread it out. I think his thing was was, 'I'm trying to keep people away from loading the box.' We would talk all the time, and I'd say, 'G-Ro, we gotta run the ball.' And he'd be like, 'Dude, what are you going to do, run against nine guys in the box? You're going to run against that?' We gotta spread people out, we gotta make them fear our pass game. That's what he was always trying to do. I think sometimes we hurt ourselves doing it. You know, giving up sacks, throwing bad balls, not catching the ball. That was on us. For the most part, his heart was always in the right place. He always wanted to run the rock and give it to Frank.

I don't know if I buy that 100% from Boone. We used to run against stacked boxes all the time, in 2011 Gore and Co. literally averaged almost 5 YPC and we ran more than any other team. The box was always stacked.
our passing game benefitted from the running game, not the other way around.
Many of us have said before, Roman is a great run game guy. He's just extremely average and uncreative in the passing game. I imagine this is why he's just the Bills run-game coordinator.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Many of us have said before, Roman is a great run game guy. He's just extremely average and uncreative in the passing game. I imagine this is why he's just the Bills run-game coordinator.

What do you mean? The Bills hired him as the offensive coordinator.

Originally posted by Disp:

Yea they did but they got him as the running game coordinator. Another guy is the passing coordinator. I think they got a red zone coordinator. All types of mumbo jumbo
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Yea they did but they got him as the running game coordinator. Another guy is the passing coordinator. I think they got a red zone coordinator. All types of mumbo jumbo

Ahh no kidding, didn't know that. So they're trying to copy the 49ers "just throw 20 different coaches at it and confuse everyone" strategy.
Originally posted by thl408:

--------------------

bogus. if that's the case then run heavy play action and heavy bootleg, heavy run action one way pass flowing the other way and run uptempo spread to keep people off balance.
and try calling a complete game, not coming with gadget plays to ruin momentum in said games and make consistent adjustments in the 2nd half.

Ahh no kidding, didn't know that. So they're trying to copy the 49ers "just throw 20 different coaches at it and confuse everyone" strategy.
Bingo, Bills are tripping

what matters is who calls the plays. if he calls the plays it doesn't matter who does what
Share 49ersWebzone