LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Tom Gamble, former Assistant GM

Originally posted by gold49digger:
hmmm I wonder what this means...

He got put in the corner, nobody puts Gamble in the corner!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Too bad, we were so close to a Cable/ Gamble combo

SoCaliSteph better barricade herself on Twitter.
Ha!

Out with the old. Lynch ain't playin around.

they probably looked at his scouting report and it had every player that suffered an ACL injury
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
Meh. I was ready to fire everybody including Joan.

SoCaliSteph better barricade herself on Twitter.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
they probably looked at his scouting report and it had every player that suffered an ACL injury

Not to make this about Baalke, or to excuse him, but I have been saying for a long time I had serious doubts about our scouting. Unless he rejected every scouting report he had to be getting bad info, as well as not doing as good job. Drafting as poorly as we had must have been a team effort. So I am glad Gamble is gone.
Not to make this about Baalke, or to excuse him, but I have been saying for a long time I had serious doubts about our scouting. Unless he rejected every scouting report he had to be getting bad info, as well as not doing as good job. Drafting as poorly as we had must have been a team effort. So I am glad Gamble is gone.
or maybe this is how it went down ?

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
or maybe this is how it went down ?

• Jcool
  • Veteran
"The 49ers organization has tremendous respect and appreciation for Tom Gamble and his many years of service," said General Manager John Lynch. "He is a class act who has helped a great deal in this transition, and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him. After working together over the last month, Tom and I agreed that it would be in both of our best interests for him to pursue other opportunities. Tom is a true professional and we wish him and his family great success in the future."
Originally posted by 951NINER:

Says the team is in capable hands.

Probably feels left out or not needed. Or just really trusts who's there now.

Still.. its a job its weird to just leave it lol. Well I think he could find a job quick.

maybe too many cooks in the kitchen.

As the assistant GM, it would be weird for him and Lynch to remain there at the same time honestly. After Baalke got axed, Gamble immediately was the guy in charge and running things until they found "their guy." The dynamic of Lynch not having prior GM experience made it strange since Gamble was there helping things along -- at least until Mayhew offically came on. At that point, Gamble wasn't really needed and it'd be mutually beneficial for him to work on furthering his career elsewhere. With the presumption that Lynch was going to be around for 6+ years, Gamble's best bet at building himself up for a future GM role might be in another FO.

I like Gamble as a lower personnel exec, but I think I speak for most when I say it's not a bad thing to further distance ourselves from the guys who were at the top near Baalke most recently.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 22, 2017 at 5:32 PM ]
Thank you for your service.

Good riddance to em, the scrub that helped Chip torpedo the Iggles. Never was enamoured with him to begin with.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
Good riddance to em, the scrub that helped Chip torpedo the Iggles. Never was enamoured with him to begin with.

He never had any personnel power with the Eagles. Him getting canned by Howie Roseman was the immediate precursor to Chip getting control of the roster. For what its worth I never thought Gamble was that bad, an experienced scout who had worked under some smart people. His father was a GM with the Eagles and that sounded like it was his dream too until Roseman sent him packing.

Reportedly he was the guy who kept stepping in between Harbaugh and Baalke to keep the peace, after he left for Philly is when the s**t really hit the fan.
Lynch already firing peeps.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Lynch already firing peeps.

And about time too.
[ Edited by mojave45 on Feb 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM ]
He was probably around just to help Lynch transition. I saw the setup as:
Mayhew - tells Lynch what a GM does
Peters - tells Lynch what players to bring in
Gamble - tells Lynch about the current roster (Long-term, Peters was going to be the key personnel guy.)

It may be early enough in the offseason that Gamble can land somewhere else.
Share 49ersWebzone