LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 141 users in the forums

How do we become a more physical team??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hire a crazy, demanding, high energy coach....
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM ]
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
With an F?

That was my instant thought as well.
Part of the problem is playing so many games over the past four years at such a high level. Think about the hits these guys have endured...on both sides of the ball. After a while your body starts to rebel. The guys who tackle properly can keep being physical if they stay healthy-Willis. But a lot of guys soften up a bit to preserve themselves. Violent practices may be part of the problem as well. Walsh had very limited hitting during practice and his guys appreciated it. That's one thing said about Tomsula's philosophy--he won't have so much hitting in practice.

Vernon Davis might be a good example. He has taken several terrible hits the past few years, which could explain his injuries and/or inabitlity to play with the same passion.
Bludgeon > Physical
Originally posted by amosmac28:
I've heard many mention that Baalke wants to return our team back to smash mouth football and having a very physical defense. Which begs the question, how do we become more physical? Is it a matter of speed? Is it something else I'm missing. To me, it appears we are already a very physical defense.

FO
To-do: Continue to draft and sign big, athletic guys, hopefully with a mean streak. I hope they bring Gamble back.

Coaching Staff
To-do: Put big and athletic guys in more positions to attack, hit, and hurt in all three phases of the game. Don't worry as much about the perfect audible. If in doubt, pound the opposition and wear them down. "A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week." (George Patton)
I think Fangio did a great job, but his style was a bit conservative.
I wasn't as down on Roman as many, but he tried to get too cute on offense at (important) times.

Players
To-do: Execute assignments with an extra helping of
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
BLUDGEON, BLUDGEON,...BLUDGEON!!!!!!!
  • HERN
  • Veteran
By simply cutting Vernon Davis automatically makes us more physical.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
HGH

Originally posted by ChazBoner:
HGH

or perhaps Seadderall?
AIDS

• 9moon
  • Veteran
i BELIEVE we'll see that under Tomsula and his fiery attitude!!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
By not hiring an offensive coordinator.
We had been one of the most physical teams in the NFL from 11-13. The only way to become more physical would be to pack lead pipes out on the field.
We could also reunite the bros. We'd be an angry and physical team 24/7.

• dj43
We don't need to become more physical. We need to become more agile. We need to become quicker, particularly on the OL. We have some lumbering bulldozers left over from the Nolan/Singletary "impose our will" days. We can run between the tackles only until another team loads the box and shuts us down, and all good defenses can do that.

We must become a more versatile offense and that also involves more speed, both in the backfield and the wide receiver position. Baalke is reportedly not of that mind set but I believe that overstates his true mindset. I don't believe that anyone in this league believes that power running alone will get you to the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone