LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

How do we become a more physical team??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I've heard many mention that Baalke wants to return our team back to smash mouth football and having a very physical defense. Which begs the question, how do we become more physical? Is it a matter of speed? Is it something else I'm missing. To me, it appears we are already a very physical defense.

Justin Smith sets the tone for the entire defense. His play up front is about as physical as it gets. With him, Dorsey/Ian Williams plugging up the middle and playing stout against the run... I don't know how you get much more physical up front. Is it a matter of strength? I think Quinton Dial can take over Ray McD's spot without much separation in play. I think Tank can rotate between their and J. Smith's spot.. although last I heard, he was up to like 298 lbs. That is truly a tank.

We have arguably the best line-backing crew in all of football and they hit like a ton of bricks. How do you get more physical then P. Willis & Bowman in the middle? These guys run all over the field and cover a lot of territory and they don't slow down to hit somebody. I've seen these guys stop guys in their tracks. You don't get much more physical then that. Sprinkle Borland on top of that and then Aldon Smith/Aaron Lynch & hopefully Dan Skuta on the outside and you have a very, very impressive unit.

Lastly, the secondary. I would say this is the least physical of the bunch. I thought at times Eric Reid was very physical but he has to watch his style of play due to his concussion problems. Bethea can bring some pop... but I saw him bounce off M. Lynch a few times this year. The corners are really not physical at all and really can't be. Maybe if they were bigger corners but that style of play is drawing so much attention that players are not getting away with it.

I guess I'm kind of confused on how we can play more physical? I know this post doesn't recognize the offense and I do think we could use an offensive lineman or 2 to replace a J. Martin.

Lastly, I agree that Tomsula is not a household name but our last SB winning coach was really not a household name. George Seifert. He was an internal hire. At the end of the day though, I think he energizes his players much like P. Carroll does in Seattle. How can you not want to play for him? I think he will get the best out of Aldon Smith. I look at all the comments in regards to Tomsula and it appears the players are very happy with the hire and really that's all that matters. Sorry fans, we can like or hate it. Not our choice. I remember saying last year that Lovie Smith would completely turn around that Bucs franchise. He didn't. He's a coach with a lot of experience and they have a fair amount of good players... they played hard towards the end of the season but the results were not there. No, they didn't have a QB that was worth a s**t but my point is hiring a flashy coach doesn't always translate to Superbowls.

I am certainly willing and looking forward to giving Tomsula a chance. Go Niners!
Deadlifts and squats.
  • titan
  • Veteran
We are a pretty physical team. Money hungry, abuse,idiocy, and injuries really held us back! The Last 3 years according to my friends, hate to see us on their schedule! That includes GB,Dallas,NO fans. Some of them chalked it up as a loss just to see how it would add to their playoffs.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Meth
With an F?
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Meth

LMAO!!!
  • Chico
  • Veteran
comes down to their personalities. Steve Smith, small receiver but packs a punch for his size.
Hire Jim Tomsula as head coach..
18 year old cheerleaders.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
With a capital F?

Hire the Seahawks pharmaceutical research department and have them start our boys on a strict diet of PED's.....
I think that he meant in regards to regaining our identity as a strong running team. Typically your best running teams are physical teams both on defense and have to be in the trenches in the offensive side of the ball as well.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
With an F?

"We got out and hit people in the mouth."
Originally posted by grizzlyadams:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
With an F?

"We got out and hit people in the mouth."

I'd rather beat them to the punch.
BLUDGEON, BLUDGEON,...BLUDGEON!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone