There are 224 users in the forums

Garcia as QB coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
in my opinion Garcia is much better suited to coach Kap than Warner is. Warner has stated that he will try to improve Kap as a pocket passer, but that's not his game. Garcia would coach Kap on how to captilize his ablilites rather than try to train him to be something he's not. Garcia was a great QB for us and you must consider the fact that he played a similar style to Kap, unlike Warner who was the complete opposite.

From what I took from the articles it was more Warner finding out what kap knows, and then giving him his intel on how to be a better quarterback from the pocket using his high rated talent as a dual threat qb.
Mistake me if I'm wrong but I don't think he's trying to change him, if anything just give him inisight on being a better qb from the pocket. And kap knows himself better than anyone so if he knows he needs the help, then he's better for it
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SundayTicket:
I think Garcia is the last good qb we've ever had. And kap is the most promising since garcia, so I don't see why not. Couldn't hurt.

First working with Warner then gets the rest of the season with Garcia. Can only help push us in the right direction at this point, unless there's a better qb coach out there than Garcia, which more than likely there is

In my opinion, Garcia should not be engaging in public conversations about his desire to work with Kaepernick.

MM provides a short history of what Garcia has said publically.

1. Back in December, former 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia told CSNBayArea.com's Matt Maiocco he would love the opportunity to work with Colin Kaepernick.

"As somebody who played the position for a long time and didn't fit the stereotype, who had to overcome the odds and battle, not just on a yearly basis but a daily basis just to prove himself, I know a lot of what it takes in order to achieve at that position," Garcia said. "And I'd be more than happy to help him out any way I can.

"If he's open to it, hey, I'd love nothing more than to be someone who can help him continue to grow."

2. Two days after Kaepernick's plan to work with Kurt Warner, Dennis Gile and Mike Giovando at EXOS in Arizona was revealed, Garcia let it be known how he felt.

He tweeted an article from the Santa Rosa Press Democrat titled 'Colin Kaepernick's coach choice couldn't be more wrong for job,' and added, "I didn't say it but I thought it." Soon thereafter, Garcia deleted the tweet.

3. On Monday, Garcia appeared on 95.7 FM The Game, and although he said it's "definitely a positive thing" for Kaepernick to be working with Warner, Garcia still wants a chance to help the 49ers' 27-year old quarterback.

"I think Kurt Warner is a great coach, great player obviously," Garcia said. "What he does as a coach I'm sure takes the mental side of the game, and he's able to do the things that can help Colin in the sense of studying film and watching how he sees the game, watching other quarterbacks play the game, getting ideas or picking up pieces as to how he can better himself mentally.

"And that's where Kurt was going to spend his time, he was going to spend maybe 2-3 days, if that, in the film room with Colin ... the fact of the matter is, he's (Kaepernick) getting the work in, he's trying to better himself, he's trying to improve, he's trying to do the necessary things that will help him be successful on the football field, and help him and his team elevate their game ... I would love to have the opportunity to work with Colin, and maybe it's something that will happen down the road."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/garcia-lauds-kap-working-warner-still-hopes-help

If I were Kaepernick, I would find Garcia's use of the media to talk to me more than a bit off-putting, and his tweet in response to the Press Democratic article beyond the pale.

No former players typically don't make good coaches
I agree that Garcia was the last real good QB we had. Very underrated. I remember when he first said something in December about wanting to coach Kap and it makes sense overall. He was a scrambling QB with a great football IQ and ability to improvise, throw accurately and make positive plays. Also a very good pocket passer.

I get why Kap would hook up with Warner. Big QB, big arm, knew how to read defenses and throw down field. I don't have a preference either way so long as Kap improves.

Regardless, it'll all depend on the offense and what we ask/require him to do.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Since07:
No former players typically don't make good coaches

Pretty broad statement there.

I will agree that it doesn't make you more qualified than a non player, but it also doesn't make you disqualified to be a great coach
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Why the hell would we want Kap to have the poster Garce coach him

This. I'm clearly over qualified I Don't think Kap could handle me as his training trainer
Funny to note ken "dorsal fin " dorsey is the panthers QB coach and Tim rattay is Louisiana tech's WR coach
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Funny to note ken "dorsal fin " dorsey is the panthers QB coach and Tim rattay is Louisiana tech's WR coach

but what about Gio Carmazzi?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Lol, no. Garcia is just embarassing himself right now. Go home and enjoy your hot wife dude, give it a rest.

Holy s**t I just looked up his wife. She's sssssssoooooooooooo hot
Originally posted by 4everFaithful:
in my opinion Garcia is much better suited to coach Kap than Warner is. Warner has stated that he will try to improve Kap as a pocket passer, but that's not his game. Garcia would coach Kap on how to captilize his ablilites rather than try to train him to be something he's not. Garcia was a great QB for us and you must consider the fact that he played a similar style to Kap, unlike Warner who was the complete opposite.

well Kaep has pretty much got the whole mobile QB down other than hesitating sometimes and giving defenders time to run up on him. He needs someone who will teach him nothing but pocket passing. If Kaep gets his pocket passing down good then it will make him a better runner because defenders will respect his aerial attack more.

I would rather like Warner more as a QB coach but Garcia is a good second choice. Would rather have steve young but that wont ever happen

Garcia is taking to level creepy real quick here. Give it up duck thrower.
Hell Na... Garcia will just sabotage Kap, then talk Tomsula into signing him as a player and starting him the rest of the season.
Originally posted by boast:
Kap doesn't have the legs for making jump passes.

Kap can already see over the line.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Met him up here in Canada...good coach. No doubt in my mind he'd help Kap. He helped some of our young guys who were training for various combines...one guy in particular that converted from slot receiver to QB reminds me of Kap actually and his improvement has been night and day. Not too sure how serious the 49ers will take Garcia though.
So most people think we cant get anybody to come in after the season and offseason we have had so far and now we get somebody who wants to be here and everybody craps on him.

Its great that kaep is gonna work with Warner but then what.

I think Garcia could be an asset for kaep
Share 49ersWebzone