LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

Garcia as QB coach?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I can't believe no one hast started this thread yet, or did I miss it? I'm interested to hear some thoughts on Garcia's offer to coach up Kap. I, for one, think he's a natural, since he was a successful running QB and seems to know what he's talking about. Whether he's an excellent teacher is certainly a concern, but could he do any worse than has been done already? While working with Kurt Warner is a good idea, if they're trying to make Kap a pocket passer , I'm doubtful of their chances of success. It certainly didn't happen this year. Garcia was very good at all aspects, but his strength was as a running QB and I think that's what Kap needs to be, a melding of his running and an improved pocket game. Whatya think?
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
I can't believe no one hast started this thread yet, or did I miss it? I'm interested to hear some thoughts on Garcia's offer to coach up Kap. I, for one, think he's a natural, since he was a successful running QB and seems to know what he's talking about. Whether he's an excellent teacher is certainly a concern, but could he do any worse than has been done already? While working with Kurt Warner is a good idea, if they're trying to make Kap a pocket passer , I'm doubtful of their chances of success. It certainly didn't happen this year. Garcia was very good at all aspects, but his strength was as a running QB and I think that's what Kap needs to be, a melding of his running and an improved pocket game. Whatya think?

Lol, no. Garcia is just embarassing himself right now. Go home and enjoy your hot wife dude, give it a rest.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM ]
I think Garcia is the last good qb we've ever had. And kap is the most promising since garcia, so I don't see why not. Couldn't hurt.

First working with Warner then gets the rest of the season with Garcia. Can only help push us in the right direction at this point, unless there's a better qb coach out there than Garcia, which more than likely there is
[ Edited by SundayTicket on Jan 19, 2015 at 12:23 PM ]
Why the hell would we want Kap to have the poster Garce coach him
From the outside looking in, I think Garcia has the resume to at least be a good life coach for Kaep. He's a gamer, dual-threat, (basically) locally raised, has some flair , and has played under the shadow of Montana/Young.

It sounds like he did a nice job in the CFL this past year. However, I'm not sure this definitively makes him qualified or disqualified.
How will he work with the other QBs in case Kaep's hurt (knock on wood)?
He may have played in different systems, but can he coach them too?
He's already thrown his offer into the public ring, so does that mean he will publicly criticize other coaches or the receivers when Kaep has a bad week? I'm not faulting him, but he was the center of some drama when he was here.

All in all, his open letter is suspicious, but I think it might be worth a shot making him a special assistant of sorts.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Lol, no. Garcia is just embarassing himself right now. Go home and enjoy your hot wife dude, give it a rest.

It'd be hilarious if his dad called into a sports talk show to make an angry pitch about how Jeff is the best candidate for QB coach.
Garcia might very well end up as our OC.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
is he cheap ?
I actually think Garcia could be a good quarterbacks coach. I've watched him as an analyst and he seems knowledgeable and like he is a good teacher.
  • bors
  • Veteran
he needs to go home and start training for the vetrans combine

Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I actually think Garcia could be a good quarterbacks coach. I've watched him as an analyst and he seems knowledgeable and like he is a good teacher.

I agree, I know kids who have worked with him and he's no joke, he knows what he's doing. But the way he's conducted himself past couple weeks is low-rent on his part, a very bad look.
I'm a little surprised at he negative comments directed at Garcia. He was actually a very good QB for us and the only good one since the Young/Montana years. He seems to know what he's talking about and unless the 9'ers hierarchy has someone better in mind, what could it hurt? It's not like we've been successful thus far in developing Kap! A guy going in reverse is hardly an endorsement for the past QB coach(es).
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Kap doesn't have the legs for making jump passes.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:

I agree, I know kids who have worked with him and he's no joke, he knows what he's doing. But the way he's conducted himself past couple weeks is low-rent on his part, a very bad look.

This
in my opinion Garcia is much better suited to coach Kap than Warner is. Warner has stated that he will try to improve Kap as a pocket passer, but that's not his game. Garcia would coach Kap on how to captilize his ablilites rather than try to train him to be something he's not. Garcia was a great QB for us and you must consider the fact that he played a similar style to Kap, unlike Warner who was the complete opposite.
Share 49ersWebzone