There are 166 users in the forums

The only way this will work...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Corva, I didn't mean to imply tomsula won't hire an OC, and it better be a good one. What I meant was that he had to be able to call the O plays and game plan, even if he has an OC. If he doesn't know diddly about OCing, then we have little mikey noln part 2. I just don't think that is the situation...altho I have virtually nothing to back it up other than I cannot conceive of this move if it damages the $1B team and $1B stadium. Jed had to have that in the forefront of his mind when he hired tomsula, meaning to me, anyway,that he thinks Tomsula can do all the things I noted above. Just too much $$ on the line to hire a fcku up.
Originally posted by xcfan:
i had to laugh. tomsula is fred flintstone. he fires guy up to go crack heads. there's no way he's a game-day sage. he will not be the master out there; the coordinators will be calling just about everything. he's a loveable meathead. not an optimal head coach. he's there because of baalke's power play. our only hope is to have sharp coordinators who can perform some wizardry on the sidelines and game planning.
tomsula's not a fine detail, big picture guy. we're going to fumble through 2 or 3 years of baalke's mediocre ideas, then jed will fire all and hopefully gain a little wisdom.

give the guy a chance first
Originally posted by AUniner:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Is for Tomsula to become a top notch play caller and also a game planner extraordinaire. Not many DC guys have pulled this off, but bellichek sure did and has done a bang up job(with an all pro Qb.). And he started as a defensive coach. Also I noted in another thread that Whisenhunt had been in the trenches as an OL coach, before he was elevated to HC in AZ. And he was a good OC and playcaller. So it can be done.

The problem of needing a HC to get an OC is the problem in a nutshell. IF you are lucky to get a good one they are gone as HC next yr. If you get a crappy one like , oh, well , say roman, they seem to stick around like stinking garbage...you can't get rid of them, no matter how bad they are. That is why, I have posted multiple times the necessity of the HC being an OC. Well Tomsula isn't, but if jed really wants to keep him and is serious about it, then tomsula is going to have to learn how to game plan, as well as call plays. Counting on an OC brot in from elsewhere is a short term proposition. So I have to assume that jed and baalke think that tomsula can call a decent to good game and that he can game plan for the next opponent. Also I assume he will be able to make changes at half time. All that would be extremely refreshing , seeing as how harbaw could do none of the above. My guess is Andrew Luck made jim harbaw, not the other way around.

So, if the above is true, then we need to look forward to tomsula becoming a great playcaller and a great game planner. He doesn't have to do much to be better than JH or HaRo. Also, if Tomsula cannot learn to be an OC, his tenure here will be only temporary, until a great OC comes available who would then become HC.
I am open minded about this but if jed is thinking of having tomsula with an OC calling plays, it will be on a yearly basis only, and will not be long term. Frankly I am hoping tomsula becomes a kick azz OC and game planner, which we have had neither of for 4 yrs. ...unh,,,make that 13 yrs.

Carrol - not an OC
John Harbaugh-not an OC
Coughlin-not an OC
Tomlin -not an OC
Belichick-not an OC
Dungy -not an OC

There seem to be a bunch of coaches that won recently without being an OC.

Lets look at the hires just this year....

Bears took John Fox - not an OC
Bills took Rex - not an OC
Jets took Bowles - not an OC
Raiders took Del Rio - not an OC
Falcon will end up with Dan Quinn - not an OC

The only ones that did were the Broncos so Elway & Kubiak can suck each other off.

Not saying they'll all be successful but clearly the offensive guys weren't going to cut it this year.

it's a copy cat league ...everyone wants to build the next dominant defense, it wasn't too long ago offensive coordinators who ran the best offensive units were always first to be considered and all the rage, but this year is the year of the defensive coach getting the nod as HC
my wife calls Tamsula , Hoffa he mumbles a lot .
Assuming that the report that Sparano is the new DC, that is a good start. Count on him hiring guys he knows and has coached with or been friends with over the last 2 decades.

I would have been sick if Mangini was the pick, which some here thot would happen. No way, no thanks and unh unh.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jan 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM ]
Oh Jeez,. Sparano is TE coach, a good choice, but mangini is our DC? Yikes. Sigh....

Well it is coming together, and Mangini, will have one helluva good run D to coach, and one helluva pass D to fix. HOpe he is up for that. I sure wish I felt better about him however. Whatever he did while here previously, sure didn't help us much.

As for the OC, we can't get Helfrich, as he is HC and wouldn't take a demotion from Oregon HC to 9ers OC. But, Frost ( I think his name is), is the guy sitting up in the sky box calling plays in, under 3 seconds from when the last play ended. Man would I love to have that guy as OC. And there is a legitimate jump from college OC to NFL OC.

Just a thot, but it looks like Tomsula is putting together his coaching staff, but it looks like there is ample input from jed and trent...which, based on the harbaw yrs, I applaud. So far I am really glad we didn't bring in a HC like Ryan or marrone, or the likes of those guys. That is just recycling guys who aren't that good (well, Ryan anyway.). As for Fox, I definitely wouldn't have wanted him. So I am ok with a lot of guys , way over rated , that we passed on. That is a good thing.
Tomsula's hire also works with Frost(OC ORegon), Petersen (HC Washington), either HC or OC at ASU, Shanny works, and I think Rathman works. So what if he said he wouldn't want the job?. He is well qualified for it. Also college is looking to me like the most likely place for the OC to come from. But Rath or shanny will work IMO, also. Jed just had an OC and HC that were awful, a HC who was a bit slow in choosing plays, and ineffective as a game planner...also inability to change at halftime to improve O or D.... and I don't think he wants to do that again. IMO he is looking for a sharp O guy with O experience, who is a quick thinker and can utilize the great talent we already have.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Tomsula's hire also works with Frost(OC ORegon), Petersen (HC Washington), either HC or OC at ASU, Shanny works, and I think Rathman works. So what if he said he wouldn't want the job?. He is well qualified for it. Also college is looking to me like the most likely place for the OC to come from. But Rath or shanny will work IMO, also. Jed just had an OC and HC that were awful, a HC who was a bit slow in choosing plays, and ineffective as a game planner...also inability to change at halftime to improve O or D.... and I don't think he wants to do that again. IMO he is looking for a sharp O guy with O experience, who is a quick thinker and can utilize the great talent we already have.

Well, if Jeep was held back by romn being there, and jeep is a great OC, then we done good. If jeep even remotely resembles romn, we are done. The really good news is he has a ton of great talent, that just needs great coaching...something really missing from the harbaw days. (Incredibly, I may add). So here's to you jeep, and if a play or concept even remotely reminds you of something romn did, then X it out immediately. The only thing you could have learned from romn is what not to do.
Not gonna work. Lol.......

Share 49ersWebzone