LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 242 users in the forums

Does anyone else want a DC who BRINGS THE HEAT, Buddy Ryan style?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • CMIO
2 words: ROB RYAN.

Sound funny ? Not so much if you think about it with our personnel...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
sure would not have been fangio. he thought it was a nice idea to have two all pro linebackers setting around playing checkers in pass coverage in the super bowl while we got ate up by joe f. he knew aldon, justin and brooks were all hurt and limited in that game and still set back and let em eat us up. i know fangio has achieved nate davis status here on the webzone, but f**k him, i would love to see how he does with a team that has less talent than what he was lucky enough to stumble into here
Originally posted by cciowa:
sure would not have been fangio. he thought it was a nice idea to have two all pro linebackers setting around playing checkers in pass coverage in the super bowl while we got ate up by joe f. he knew aldon, justin and brooks were all hurt and limited in that game and still set back and let em eat us up. i know fangio has achieved nate davis status here on the webzone, but f**k him, i would love to see how he does with a team that has less talent than what he was lucky enough to stumble into here

Finally someone is preaching the gospel.
  • Veteran
Yes and no. Yes because I like an aggressive blitzing defense. No, because I don't think our DBs are good enough to be left in an island. I miss Fangio already.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Yes. Bring the f**king heat. If we have to with 7, yes. If we can get it with 4, then all the better. I love the stance of major pressure to get the quarterback rattled--any down and distance, a lot. We have a great group of defensive players that could get us back to the top. It has to be aggressive no matter how many guys we are bringing.
Against any team with a decent running game, I think the first task of a defense is to keep the running back to very low yards per carry. I don't see how "bringing the heat" in run defense is likely to be a generally successful strategy (although there may be occasions where it works well). If you are only talking about obvious passing downs, then I agree with SFL49er, "If we have to with 7, yes. If we can get it with 4, then all the better."
This is kinda funny since the WCO destroyed buddy Ryan's defense... Even his kids don't run most of his stuff.

Ah the memories of Montana(kc) frustrating buddy ryan to the point he walked down the side line and punched his OC in the face because he did not run the ball enough....

On the subject.... I do agree the team needs to be more aggressive on defense with both lynch and smith on the field next season.
There have been single game plans that have shown bowman and PW can rush the passer as well. This team does have the players to send pressure from any direction at any time.

It would have been pretty cool to see a historically great coach work with the grade A talent the 49ers have..... Somebody should call Dick Lebeau...
Originally posted by cciowa:
Yep. Now don't assume i want zero coverage all the time, but i would love to see willis and bowman co e up the gut more. I hate bend but dont break. You have a team pinned inside the 5, put pressure on them. They are just outside of FG range put the prssure on them. In both casesif you give up 5yds or 20yds it hardly matters, but a sack or offensive penalty could be devastating to the offense.

Someone just said dick LeBoeuf and i would agree.
Haha it spell checked lebeau

Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
I don't see the need to become overly aggressive with the blitz. What we need is Willis and Bowman healthy.

With them both healthy,,,,the blitz will come.
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
You're right. Our defense has sucked the past four years. Too bad we didn't play like the saints did on defense last year!

Also, please define "aggressive enough?"

How many more blitzes would Fangio have to call for him to be aggressive enough?
Yeah, well said.

Here's the thing: conservative or aggressive, it doesn't matter. In the end, the only thing anyone should be concerned about are the results. Fangio produced a top 5 defense all four years here. Everything in football has pros and cons. If you blitz more, you make yourself susceptible to big plays. Fangio essentially ran a "bend, don't break" defense, and it worked out extremely well. I guess it was somewhat boring and not particularly sexy, but who cares? It was very successful.

What people literally never consider is that our defense could've been worse if we had blitzed more.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by flynhayn15:
You're right. Our defense has sucked the past four years. Too bad we didn't play like the saints did on defense last year!

Also, please define "aggressive enough?"

How many more blitzes would Fangio have to call for him to be aggressive enough?
Yeah, well said.

Here's the thing: conservative or aggressive, it doesn't matter. In the end, the only thing anyone should be concerned about are the results. Fangio produced a top 5 defense all four years here. Everything in football has pros and cons. If you blitz more, you make yourself susceptible to big plays. Fangio essentially ran a "bend, don't break" defense, and it worked out extremely well. I guess it was somewhat boring and not particularly sexy, but who cares? It was very successful.

What people literally never consider is that our defense could've been worse if we had blitzed more.

It's not that the team should blitz more for the sake of blitzing, it's more so that we have to realize this is not the D-line we had in 2011 and we are not going to consistently generate pressure with a four man rush. Therefore, some adjustments have to be made. I will say in defense of the defense, perhaps they could go after the QB more if our offense could put more points on the board and a healthy Ian Williams and Glenn Dorsey changes things A LOT, but regardless, we can't keep playing the way we used to IF the QB is sitting in the pocket comfortably. Now if we are generating good pressure with the front four next season, don't change a thing. However, if it we aren't, we have to try something different. Fair enough?
Share 49ersWebzone