LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

If Harbs really was so loyal to Roman, why didn't he take him with him to Michigan?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just curious, because a lot of the speculation on this board, revolves around Harbs being fired (at least in part) for his refusal to scapegoat Roman. If that is true, then why didn't he try to get Roman to join him in Ann Arbor? I realize that Roman landed another NFL OC gig in Buffalo, but it seemed like Harbs never even attempted to get Roman to join him back in college. Why would he go to the wall for the guy, if he didn't view him as an essential part of his future coaching success? Do you think that, on some level, Harbs REALIZED that Roman wasn't hacking it as his OC, YET his arrogance/obstinance/combativeness precluded him from firing him, simply because he refused to give Baalke and York the "pleasure?" Would he have been that petty?
roman got him fired, i dont think he was expecting it to go that far.
Originally posted by BuddyRyans46:
Just curious, because a lot of the speculation on this board, revolves around Harbs being fired (at least in part) for his refusal to scapegoat Roman. If that is true, then why didn't he try to get Roman to join him in Ann Arbor? I realize that Roman landed another NFL OC gig in Buffalo, but it seemed like Harbs never even attempted to get Roman to join him back in college. Why would he go to the wall for the guy, if he didn't view him as an essential part of his future coaching success? Do you think that, on some level, Harbs REALIZED that Roman wasn't hacking it as his OC, YET his arrogance/obstinance/combativeness precluded him from firing him, simply because he refused to give Baalke and York the "pleasure?" Would he have been that petty?

Maiocco reported that Roman wanted to stay in the NFL and get out of Harbaugh's shadow.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Maiocco reported that Roman wanted to stay in the NFL and get out of Harbaugh's shadow.

That's what understood as well.
It's simply a chance for Roman to be his own person without Harbaugh's help. Harbaugh is a person that is too loyal to his assistants. He will sit, bench, or cut players but he's not willing to fire a coach.
Would you want to move to Michigan?
Originally posted by socal9er42:

Buffalo isn't a big step up either.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
another proven point that Harbaugh sold out this year...he figured that he will never be in a double loss situtiation... had the team made it in the Super Bowl, he woulda been the greatest coach of all time and woulda had the contract he had asked for.

Why do you all think that he didnt push for the contract? he wanted to show the organization how the team will be w/o his full force of coaching.. just like the year b4 he got here, and how the mediocre the team is w/o him.. he let the team play by whatever plan Roman had in mind....
Because it was never about Roman at all.

It's Jed and the York Family.

~ Yes Man
~ Cheap
~ Beta Male
~ Cheap
~ Limited or no experience at the top
~ Won't ever challenge them
~ Cheap
~ Won't ever stand up to them.

This is what they wanted. The Roman EXCUSE is just for the JED YES MEN on the board. And yeah we got them here too on the board. Not just in the organization as Jed demands.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Let's call it Upstate New York vs Detroit..........but I hear ya.

People go where there job opportunities are. You are going to get paid $500,000, $750,000 or $1,000,000 to be a coordinator and you guys would say NO and turn it down because you don't want to be in Michigan or Buffalo?

Well I guess you can enjoy your $50,000 a year job in CA then......
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 17, 2015 at 6:59 PM ]
Originally posted by 9moon:
another proven point that Harbaugh sold out this year...he figured that he will never be in a double loss situtiation... had the team made it in the Super Bowl, he woulda been the greatest coach of all time and woulda had the contract he had asked for.

Why do you all think that he didnt push for the contract? he wanted to show the organization how the team will be w/o his full force of coaching.. just like the year b4 he got here, and how the mediocre the team is w/o him.. he let the team play by whatever plan Roman had in mind....

Ok? How the hell did Jim sell out this year? I don't get it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

People go where there job opportunities are. You are going to get paid $500,000, $750,000 or $1,000,000 to be a coordinator and you guys would say NO and turn it down because you don't want to be in Michigan or Buffalo?

Well I guess you can enjoy your $50,000 a year job in CA then......

I think he would have gotten more or less the same at either Buffalo or Michigan (Harbaugh supposedly took lees than max contract so Assistants could get paid more). The question is why didn't he follow Harbs to Michigan?
It's cliche for NFL fans to call for the head of the OC when s**t goes wrong. The only reason the zone in so sold on Roman being the cause of the break up is Bc some teenager's Twitter account.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Because it was never about Roman at all.

It's Jed and the York Family.

~ Yes Man
~ Cheap
~ Beta Male
~ Cheap
~ Limited or no experience at the top
~ Won't ever challenge them
~ Cheap
~ Won't ever stand up to them.

This is what they wanted. The Roman EXCUSE is just for the JED YES MEN on the board. And yeah we got them here too on the board. Not just in the organization as Jed demands.

All the BS excuses for booting Harbaugh out the door are gone now. He wanted too much money, He refused to move on from Roman. They were all BS. This is about theHead Coach being a good little soldier and following orders. Harbaugh wouldn't be that guy. There were trade rumors before the season started. There were rumors he would be replaced mid-season by Tomsula. This has nothing to do with winning, money or Roman.

The absolute proof is the way they booted Fangio out the door too. By hiring Tomsula they gauranteed Fangio would be gone. He couldn't possibly work for someone who worked under him the last 4 years. Fangio did an amazing job with the defense. Especially this past season with all the injuries and missing players. They could have promoted Fangio to HC. They could have brought in a strong offensive mind to be HC and gave Fangio a raise and an extension to run the defense. Instead they booted Fangio out the door after the amazing job he did the last 4 years.

The rumors gave all kinds of excuses for booting Harbaugh. What possible excuses could they make up for booting Fangio? This is absolute proof it wasn't Harbaugh or Fangio but the desire to have a HC who would know his place and accept it.

Because of this we not only lost the best HC we have had in decades but we also lost an amazing DC as well. All because York and Baalke want coaches who know their place. How many HC's who are not take charge kinda guys and are willing to know their place have won Superbowls? Bill Walsh was not only the HC but he was in charge of the draft and eventually the HC/GM. All great HC's are take charge kinda guys.
Share 49ersWebzone