There are 196 users in the forums

Special Teams Coordinator Search

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jcool:
Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch

#49ers are losing experience with new special-teams coach: Thomas McGaughey has spent 1 season as head NFL ST coach. Brad Seely: 26.

So, is it confirmed he's got it? Experience is great with most things, but granted, it doesn't always win out. Dick Lebeau has tons of experience, but no one's beating down the door for him at DC. Often times a fresh perspective paired with strong cohesiveness among the staff reigns superior.

We'll see.. the pieces are still coming together. I hate waiting. We all do. But we have to believe that within the next couple of weeks AT MOST this stuff has got to be settled for sure. I seriously doubt it takes that long though (at least I hope).
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 20, 2015 at 5:01 PM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
So, is it confirmed he's got it? Experience is great with most things, but granted, it doesn't always win out. Dick Lebeau has tons of experience, but no one's beating down the door for him at DC. Often times a fresh perspective paired with strong cohesiveness among the staff reigns superior.

We'll see.. the pieces are still coming together. I hate waiting. We all do. But we have to believe that within the next couple of weeks AT MOST this stuff has got to be settled for sure. I seriously doubt it takes that long though (at least I hope).

Because they all know he is going to AZ.
The special teams was just ok this past season. Not great not horrible.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Assistant Special Teams coach? What do you think?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

#49ers are losing experience with new special-teams coach: Thomas McGaughey has spent 1 season as head NFL ST coach. Brad Seely: 26.

He's had multiple years as an assistant ST in the league - including a SB ring with the NY Giants.

And he performed well for the Jets under Ryan. If Ryan didn't get fired, I think he'd still be there today.

New ideas, new perspective. I like it.
[ Edited by GEEK on Jan 20, 2015 at 6:43 PM ]

Why not put ink on the deal then? No reason to wait around on a done deal, IMO.

Not necessarily. They talked about him extensively on the radio here and one of the holdups is that he has never worked west of the Mississippi. Location is reportedly very important to him but he also wants to be a full blown DC and not just a consultant.

Its really up in the air all of a sudden.
I dont think its that big of a deal if he was the main ST coordinator or the assistant.

Those assistants get promoted ALL THE TIME. McGaughey has been coaching ST since 2002. Child please.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

He's had multiple years as an assistant ST in the league - including a SB ring with the NY Giants.

And he performed well for the Jets under Ryan. If Ryan didn't get fired, I think he'd still be there today.

Um yeah no he didn't.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not necessarily. They talked about him extensively on the radio here and one of the holdups is that he has never worked west of the Mississippi. Location is reportedly very important to him but he also wants to be a full blown DC and not just a consultant.

Its really up in the air all of a sudden.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt
Look for Dick LeBeau to become the LB coach in Arizona. What a staff Arians has put together. Great blend of experience and youth.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/tomsula-targets-colleague-nfl-europe-special-teams
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We will find more aggressive coaches both offensively and defensively. Our attitude has been lacking on Sundays. We need to take it to teams and put them away when we have them down. No more conservatism! We want it we gotta go get it!

I'm in your corner on that.

That crap attitude came from JH and staff.
Originally posted by GEEK:

Um yeah no he didn't.
Well he didn't preform to bad according to their st DVOA. Not to mention the craptastic roster they have their in NY.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
We will find more aggressive coaches both offensively and defensively. Our attitude has been lacking on Sundays. We need to take it to teams and put them away when we have them down. No more conservatism! We want it we gotta go get it!

I'm in your corner on that.

That crap attitude came from JH and staff.

Not excited. The Jets' special teams were beyond atrocious last year.
Share 49ersWebzone