LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 349 users in the forums

So why was Fangio passed up as HC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • buck
  • Veteran
There were reports that Fangio made it clear that if he was not selected as head coach, he wanted out of SF.

If an employee applying for a promotion told me (assuming I was the boss) that if he did not get the promotion, he did not want to keep his current position, I would probably not give him the promotion.

But, then I have never been a boss.

I have applied for promotions and I have never given my boss the choice between select me or lose me.

edit: I really liked Fangio as defensive coordinator and would have been happy with him as head coach.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 16, 2015 at 4:13 PM ]
#RollinWithNolan
It has been reported that Fangio has a gruff personality, more than Harbaugh, but doesn't beat around the bush like Harbaugh. Which is why not only us, thoughout his career he has been passed over. He also once stated that he wasn't interested in becoming a HC, but I guess that changed recently? Maybe, because the niners have the personell in place etc and just needed to get better on offense, where as other places he would have to build from the ground up usually.

In the end most people have egos or ambitions and cannot be content with being just one of the pillars.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Too expensive.
~ Not enough of a YES MAN.
~ Not enough of a Beta Male.

And not a classy Teacher, whatever that means
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
It has been reported that Fangio has a gruff personality, more than Harbaugh, but doesn't beat around the bush like Harbaugh.

Where has this been reported?

I have listened to more than one of Fangio's interviews and I found him to be direct, polite, and thoughtful.

[ Edited by buck on Jan 16, 2015 at 4:27 PM ]
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Too expensive.
~ Not enough of a YES MAN.
~ Not enough of a Beta Male.

And not a classy Teacher, whatever that means

I'll bet he didn't live out his car with a dog and cat either.
But one of Fangio's former players, NFL Network analyst Eric Davis, thinks it's what Fangio hasn't said that's worked against him. Davis, a former 49ers cornerback who spent three seasons with Fangio with the Panthers, pointed to his low-key personality and aversion to self-promotion.

"I think so much is about a guy being the hot guy," Davis said. "It's about that personality that resonates, so when you make that hire everyone is comfortable with the name. They know who that guy is and how he's going to be perceived by the press.

"It's not always the guy who understands the X's and O's and can do the teaching. It's the whole PR aspect of things. Vic hasn't gotten that opportunity and part of the reason is he doesn't do a lot of talking. He doesn't seek attention."

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Will-49ers-Vic-Fangio-get-a-shot-to-be-an-NFL-5980759.php
Originally posted by jonesadrian:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BuddyRyans46:
yep was waiting for that...3...2..1....nobody else was the least bit interested in Tomsula as a HC, soooooo......

Fact remains that York and Baalke promoted a DL coach who has never even been an NFL Coordinator over the guy who has coordinated one of the league's best defenses for the past 4 years, in spite of the fact that NO OTHER TEAM was the least bit interested in interviewing him. Why? BC Fangio wasn't going to let York and Baalke call his shots.

Tomsula had an interview with the Vikings last season. Roman has had multiple interviews. Fangio. None. Coming off four very good seasons as a DC. If Fangio isn't get any interest now as a head coach, its just not going to happen for him and its probably because he's not seen as head coach material. He's a very good assistant coach and there's nothing wrong with that.
thanks

Being a great coordinator doesn't always equate to success as a HC. Even a great college HC doesn't equate to good NFL coach. Marv Levy was not an NFL coordinator before he got his first NFL HC job, although you might argue that he was a HC of the CFL. Key is surrounding yourself with good coaches and player talent. Also many coaches had a great first run but fail the second time around and vice versa.
Originally posted by buck:

I have listened to more than one of interviews and I found him to be direct, polite, and thoughtful.

I read it somewhere in the numerous reports that were reported after JT had been hired, but I can't remember the news outlets, there were a couple, but you know how it can be, one reports it and others run with it-sorry. How he talks in tv/radio interviews is one thing, how he reacts with management maybe another. Fangio has always been a great coordinator, but you would have thought that he would have had a job by now and he is probably old school. Like you though, in TV he seems amiable to me. so I don't know. Cause I wondered why not fangio and just work on the D?
If an employee applying for a promotion told me (assuming I was the boss) that if he did not get the promotion, he did not want to keep his current position, I would probably not give him the promotion.

this actually happens a lot of times. usually it happens if the employee has somewhere to go or at least bluffs that he does.

vic knew with this defense's performance, especially this season, he'd get a DC job one way or the other. he probably didn't like the harbaugh fire, because harbaugh delegated most of defense control to him and (seemingly) never bothered him. so he thought hed try out for HC using all his cards, and if not move elsewhere.

I think fangio was in line for that job until he thought he could give us an altimatum who the f#=k he think he is to do that "ITS ME OR SHANAHAN OR IM DONE"well see ya Vic.....We had this defense before he came along
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:

I have listened to more than one of interviews and I found him to be direct, polite, and thoughtful.

I read it somewhere in the numerous reports that were reported after JT had been hired, but I can't remember the news outlets, there were a couple, but you know how it can be, one reports it and others run with it-sorry. How he talks in tv/radio interviews is one thing, how he reacts with management maybe another. Fangio has always been a great coordinator, but you would have thought that he would have had a job by now and he is probably old school. Like you though, in TV he seems amiable to me. so I don't know. Cause I wondered why not fangio and just work on the D?

I have never seen these reports.

I have never heard of Fangio having any ongoing conflict with anybody---player, coach, or manager----during his tenure with the 49ers.

Harbaugh reportedly had conflicts with many people during his tenure with the 49ers---Baalke, York, Tomsula, and Marathe.
[ Edited by buck on Jan 16, 2015 at 5:06 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
by Fangio stating that it's either him, mike shanahan or he's out, that did not sit well with both Baalke and Jed... it was like a threat and both saw that as a bad sign of how they will be dealing with this idiot for the rest of his head coaching days...
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

this actually happens a lot of times. usually it happens if the employee has somewhere to go or at least bluffs that he does.

vic knew with this defense's performance, especially this season, he'd get a DC job one way or the other. he probably didn't like the harbaugh fire, because harbaugh delegated most of defense control to him and (seemingly) never bothered him. so he thought hed try out for HC using all his cards, and if not move elsewhere.

I will believe that it happens often.

I have no idea what Fangio thought or felt about Harbaugh leaving. And as far as I know, Fangio has not said a word publically about it.

If I had been the boss, I would more than likely not have given Fangio the head coaching job if he really had indicated that it either promote me or I move on.

Yeah... you never give an ultimatum to your superiors, at any level of business. That is pretty much offensive to YorkBaalke.
Share 49ersWebzone