There are 194 users in the forums

Defensive Coordinator Search

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by mayo49:
He also was on staff with the 49ers when they ran a 3-4 is what I've been told.

he was our olb coach. both tomsula and tarver were there under nolans D, which, of course, was 3-4 and is the base of our defense still. alarmingly we never had success with any of our olbs in that time. sure we had crappy talent and manny lawson was a draft whiff who was terrible at pass rushing... but that doesnt bode well for tarver, as well as his defense with the raiders.
also he's a man coverage guy and we don't really have enough DBs that play man well; part of the reason why I was always high on fangio was his ability to get the best out of subpar players by playing zone and get pressure with only 3-man front. something that manusky could never do.
It's going to be Tarver. He was on the 49ers staff a few years with Tomsula. Wouldn't be surprised if both he and Dennis Allen joined the staff in whatever capacity.

I've basically accepted that Fangio is likely gone. It sucks, but I hope we at least keep Donatell and/or Leavitt. Absolutely ridiculous if we blow up the entire defensive staff. Our defense was awesome. Tomsula needs to hold these guys together.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:37 PM ]
Why would balke even be ok with some crappy coaches from the raiders come over
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Just want fangio to stay

Im with you on this.
Yeah this move is totally out of left field. It seems like they would have had their ducks ina row if they knew it was tomsila a month ago.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Ring in ol what's his name ...just left the bills...coached lions ahh yeah Swartz
Tarver? My god it just keeps getting worse. This about to be a long nightmare.
Wade phillips
The whole defensive staff is likely gone.
Wade phillips
Shwartz
The raiders ex coach from denver
Giants d coach that use to rams head coach
Nolan

Originally posted by sacleads:
I want a DC who doesn't put DBs 10 yrds back when their opponent only need 5 yrds for a first down.

who does that, Fangio? Wade?
What about Dick LeBeau?
Id take Nolan (not happening though). Id take Schwartz too. both of these are way superior to Tarver, in my opinion
Premature thread
I just don't get it. The one thing, the ONE thing that was totally right about this time is potentially being destroyed. And while there is a chance it could be better, there is just no sense in this. We had the all-star defensive staff, the likes of which probably hasn't been seen since Bill Parcells Giants of the late 1980s/early 1990s.

If we do get a new defensive coordinator, I hope it's Wade Phillips.
Share 49ersWebzone