LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Do you approve the hiring of Tomsula as HC ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Do you approve the hiring of Tomsula as HC ?

Originally posted by andrew1cohen:
Does anyone know how often in the modern history of the NFL a team has ever hired a HC that was not either a College HC an NFL DC, OC or Special Teams Coach? The only two I can think of are York's hire of Singletary and Tomsula.

He is an NFL Europe former HC
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Does anyone know how often in the modern history of the NFL a team has ever hired a HC that was not either a College HC an NFL DC, OC or Special Teams Coach? The only two I can think of are York's hire of Singletary and Tomsula.

I think he might have been a HC for an NFL Europe team, the Rhein Fire, but that's about it. His resume has to be one of the worst if not THE worst amongst all the head coaches in the NFL.
This hire just means that Trent Baalke wants to be the one running the entire show for good or bad.

I'm leaning towards bad.

In the modern era if you're looking for the best example of what you just stated, it'd be Andy Reid. Zero HC or DC experience at any level.

Other examples:
Mike Tomlin - Had a single year of DC experience in Minnesota before becoming Pittsburgh HC.
Mike Sherman - Became Packers HC in 2000. Had only one prior year of OC experience.
Raymond Berry - Had no prior HC or DC experience at any level.
Mike Tice - Had no prior HC or DC experience at any level, only TE and OL exp.
Mike Singletary - Had only 4 years of coaching experience total at any level, all at LB coach.

Of those six, five of them made at least one playoff appearance. Four made multiple playoff appearances. Two made the Super Bowl, and one won it. Technically, Tomsula has more coordinator and HC experience than any of the above started with. Two years a defensive coordinator for the Berlin Thunder, and then HC of the Rhein Fire, which was the premier franchise in Europe at the time.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 17, 2015 at 9:47 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

In the modern era if you're looking for the best example of what you just stated, it'd be Andy Reid. Zero HC or DC experience at any level.

Other examples:
Mike Tomlin - Had a single year of DC experience in Minnesota before becoming Pittsburgh HC.
Mike Sherman - Became Packers HC in 2000. Had only one prior year of OC experience.
Raymond Berry - Had no prior HC or DC experience at any level.
Mike Tice - Had no prior HC or DC experience at any level, only TE and OL exp.
Mike Singletary - Had only 4 years of coaching experience total at any level, all at LB coach.

Of those six, five of them made at least one playoff appearance. Four made multiple playoff appearances. Two made the Super Bowl, and one won it. Technically, Tomsula has more coordinator and HC experience than any of the above started with. Two years a defensive coordinator for the Berlin Thunder, and then HC of the Rhein Fire, which was the premier franchise in Europe at the time.

John Harbaugh was a DB coach when landed the Raven HC job and he did fine.
NO, hell no.
I'll give em a chance.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I'll give em a chance.

Thk u! I mean what other choice do we have aside from whining all year about it or becoming a Raiders fan
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
The talent level in NFL Europe was awful.
Yes.

I don't see currently why not. Players like Tomsula and he's very well respected among NFL HCs.

Key question is who are our new coaching assistants.
Dick Lebeau for DC and Mike Shananan for OC....

Otherwise they are just playing around and aren't serious.
2/3 still say no. If we were a 4-12 team, fine, take a chance. However we were a playoff team with just one minor tweek needed....offensive HC/OC hired to go with Fangio and a #5 defense.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone