LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 239 users in the forums

Offensive Coordinator Search

Shop Find 49ers gear online
this thread needs some relief .. Eric Davis and the TANK make an appearance...

Originally posted by Marvin49:
Through 6 seasons Steve Youngs QB rating was 77.

People also forget that young in the same offense montana was completing passes at a 63-66% rate (87-88), steve was at 53% and would routinely take off and run. Now steve is my all time favorite player, but kap has greatly out performed him at the same points in their career. The hope is we are gonna see that polished qb that steve became in '91 and on. Steve was afforded the perfect opportunity to perfect his craft.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:33 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erFan816:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
I have this crazy theory, but hear me through.

Kap already has similar stats to (if not better than) Steve Young's first ~three years starting in SF. Having said that, I think Steve Young had a sliiiiight edge with Bill Walsh's system and Jerry Rice. And if Kap had both of those he might edge him out.

Steve Young in his first 3 full seasons starting from 91-93 won a MVP, led the league in QB or passer rating all 3 years and threw for 25 and 29 TD's. Don't see how Kap comes close.

I was off by a season. I was referencing this

I just hope that if tomsula and this whole staff has a losing season Jed f**king fires them all and admits the stupidness him and baalke made.
Marvin, Kap's positives are check, check and check...altho I have never seen evidence of him being extremely smart. I assume that, but don't know it for sure. Lots of fans talk about how smart kap is and his wonderlic score. If that IS true, he could help himself immensely by becoming a stranger to the work out room and a full time inhabitant of the film room. So that is a +/-

Kap's negatives:

Still uses legs too much....check, tho in the right situation, huge advantage...that needs to give in to running less and passing first.

Not media savvy but got better toward end of yr....check

Too thin skinned...check, and to that I would add, like most young men is way overboard in social media stuff. Trying to answer every bicht against him post game is goofy. Worse, time consuming. Time that could be used studying film.

Still raw, "and I tend to think HaRo system hindered his development." Well, agree in principle, but I believe HaRo literally ruined kap this yr, primarily because NEITHER of those goof balls knew how to handle a QB, esp one with special talents. Jimbo and romn's greatest damage to this team was to completely screw up kap's development, and I could make the case kap actually went backwards this yr. If anybody wanted to fire harbaw and romn, it was I, and this is why. Basically, I think Kap went backward from start of yr to finish, and I plant that one directly on HaRo. That alone was more than enough reason to schidt can jimbo and rolly polly.Also it pizzes me off. In the big picture, kap went backward in an O that harbaw had no idea WTF he or romn were doing. Sick, sad and inexcusable. And I don't tend to think. I know on that one.

Lastly, and I won't bring it up again, is a good and bad issue. And that is ladies. Kap got himself with aid of some simpleton others, into girl trouble, before the season even got started. Fortunately he got out of it, regardless of how much or little he was involved. This was a bad scene. The good part of it is, I bet my bottom dollar Kap won't ever find himself in a position like that again, and hopefully he makes better choices of friends than Lockette and (?Patton?). Whatever, it actually worked out well as a teaching lesson, and Kap got out unscathed. It could have been ugly. So he screwed up, got out of it, and learned an invaluable lesson in the process. That is a big league positive for him this yr, from a potential nightmare experience. Rate that one a negative followed by a HUGE POSITIVE.
  • GORO
  • Veteran

Kap already has similar stats to (if not better than) Steve Young's first ~three years starting in SF. Having said that, I think Steve Young had a sliiiiight edge with Bill Walsh's system and Jerry Rice. And if Kap had both of those he might edge him out.

Steve Young in his first 3 full seasons starting from 91-93 won a MVP, led the league in QB or passer rating all 3 years and threw for 25 and 29 TD's. Don't see how Kap comes close.

Right. 91-93 were like years 9 through 11 in Steve Youngs career after watching Montana play and was coached by the likes of Walsh, Holmgren, and Shanahan.

When Steve was early in his college career he was NINTH on the BYU depth chart and they were trying to move him to safety.

Kap is like young in that he was a smart kid with great physical tools who needed to learn how to be a QB. That's precisely what Kap needs and Warner is a great start.

Steve Young only won 1 Super Bowl with better talent than Montana had most of his career. Kurt Warner went to three Super Bowls and I rank higher. that's why I laugh when young critics Kaepernick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
The search is over, Mods - lock this sucker up.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Marvin, Kap's positives are check, check and check...altho I have never seen evidence of him being extremely smart. I assume that, but don't know it for sure. Lots of fans talk about how smart kap is and his wonderlic score. If that IS true, he could help himself immensely by becoming a stranger to the work out room and a full time inhabitant of the film room. So that is a +/-

Kap's negatives:

Still uses legs too much....check, tho in the right situation, huge advantage...that needs to give in to running less and passing first.

Not media savvy but got better toward end of yr....check

Too thin skinned...check, and to that I would add, like most young men is way overboard in social media stuff. Trying to answer every bicht against him post game is goofy. Worse, time consuming. Time that could be used studying film.

Still raw, "and I tend to think HaRo system hindered his development." Well, agree in principle, but I believe HaRo literally ruined kap this yr, primarily because NEITHER of those goof balls knew how to handle a QB, esp one with special talents. Jimbo and romn's greatest damage to this team was to completely screw up kap's development, and I could make the case kap actually went backwards this yr. If anybody wanted to fire harbaw and romn, it was I, and this is why. Basically, I think Kap went backward from start of yr to finish, and I plant that one directly on HaRo. That alone was more than enough reason to schidt can jimbo and rolly polly.Also it pizzes me off. In the big picture, kap went backward in an O that harbaw had no idea WTF he or romn were doing. Sick, sad and inexcusable. And I don't tend to think. I know on that one.

Lastly, and I won't bring it up again, is a good and bad issue. And that is ladies. Kap got himself with aid of some simpleton others, into girl trouble, before the season even got started. Fortunately he got out of it, regardless of how much or little he was involved. This was a bad scene. The good part of it is, I bet my bottom dollar Kap won't ever find himself in a position like that again, and hopefully he makes better choices of friends than Lockette and (?Patton?). Whatever, it actually worked out well as a teaching lesson, and Kap got out unscathed. It could have been ugly. So he screwed up, got out of it, and learned an invaluable lesson in the process. That is a big league positive for him this yr, from a potential nightmare experience. Rate that one a negative followed by a HUGE POSITIVE.

To touch on the second paragraph, the HarRo system.

I've don't think I've ever honestly seen a NFL system, like the one they were using. Our passing plays were so terrible. The combination of routes they had the WRs running were laughable at times.
They had no clue about spacing, or using multiple layers to make easy hi-low reads for Kaepernick.
You could tell that Kap wasn't being coached properly. Most of the time we never had a RB out there for Kap to dump it of to, but the times we did, like in that Oakland game on those few plays around our 10(I believe) Kap wasn't coached were if your first reaf isn't there dump it of to the RB. There were those two pkays that would've been easy TDs if he did that, but I put that on coaching.
All those long developing routes, when our oline wasn't blocking worth a s**t. were pretty ridiculous too.
Seemed like we went away from everything that worked. Not much Playaction, rollouts or even the read option in proper situations.
With the right OC Kaepernick will get back to 2012 or develop into something even better all together.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Jboobie:
A top 3 drafter doesn't miss on a whole freaking draft.... or did you forget about how awesome 2012 was?.... 2013 was almost as fabulous too.... only thing saving that crap bucket is Eric Reid....

Name 3 teams in the NFL in any individual year that had more talent on their rosters than we did from 2011 2012 2013 2014. This will be a very difficult undertaking I presume

He can't bc it hasn't happened. The 2012 draft was a luxury draft for Balke. He should of made better picks but then again so should of Seattle the last 5 years with the exception of there good drafts. Baltimore has whiffed too. Gms don't always have good drafts but Balke IMO is the best in the nfl with newsome and Baltimore

you're calling Baalke a great drafter.... he's been in charge for 4 drafts.... 2011 was very good, 2012 was a trainwreck, 2013 is saved from being a complete abomination by Eric Reid, 2014 looks promising.... Don't see this great drafter you clearly love.... Now, If you're talking about roster talent then you're including those drafted and signed under Scot McCloughan as well.... which I know we don't want to credit Scot for because he is evil.... Im pretty confident though that McCloughan will out draft and out perform Baalke going forward. Especially being sober.
This is amateur hour. It's one thing to let go an extremely successful coach and hire replacements as good or better, it's quite another to have no real plan other than to grasp at straws and get turned down by 3rd tier guys and have to promote from within because no one will come work for you. This upcoming season is going to be a debacle. Mark it down. You have a veteran team ready to win and basically a rookie coaching staff. Maybe Harbaugh had an ego, but his record speaks for itself. Now it's on Baalke, Maraath and York.

Originally posted by GORO:
Steve Young only won 1 Super Bowl with better talent than Montana had most of his career. Kurt Warner went to three Super Bowls and I rank higher. that's why I laugh when young critics Kaepernick.

There was quite a few players from that 94 squad who were starters on the 88 and 89 championship squad. Young didn't have the defense that Montana had.
Originally posted by GORO:

Right. 91-93 were like years 9 through 11 in Steve Youngs career after watching Montana play and was coached by the likes of Walsh, Holmgren, and Shanahan.

When Steve was early in his college career he was NINTH on the BYU depth chart and they were trying to move him to safety.

Kap is like young in that he was a smart kid with great physical tools who needed to learn how to be a QB. That's precisely what Kap needs and Warner is a great start.

you can not possibly be serious. You really think Young had better talent than Montana had for most of his career?? Man sorry to say but those 80's teams that Montana played on had much better talent than the Young SB team. Hands fkn down. Let's not forget we could've had a 3 peat too if the niners didn't get screwed in the playoffs vs Washington.
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
A top 3 drafter doesn't miss on a whole freaking draft.... or did you forget about how awesome 2012 was?.... 2013 was almost as fabulous too.... only thing saving that crap bucket is Eric Reid....

Name 3 teams in the NFL in any individual year that had more talent on their rosters than we did from 2011 2012 2013 2014. This will be a very difficult undertaking I presume

He can't bc it hasn't happened. The 2012 draft was a luxury draft for Balke. He should of made better picks but then again so should of Seattle the last 5 years with the exception of there good drafts. Baltimore has whiffed too. Gms don't always have good drafts but Balke IMO is the best in the nfl with newsome and Baltimore

you're calling Baalke a great drafter.... he's been in charge for 4 drafts.... 2011 was very good, 2012 was a trainwreck, 2013 is saved from being a complete abomination by Eric Reid, 2014 looks promising.... Don't see this great drafter you clearly love.... Now, If you're talking about roster talent then you're including those drafted and signed under Scot McCloughan as well.... which I know we don't want to credit Scot for because he is evil.... Im pretty confident though that McCloughan will out draft and out perform Baalke going forward. Especially being sober.

You forgot 2010. Davis, Iupati, Bowman.
Share 49ersWebzone