LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 189 users in the forums

Marcus Martin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. You got a cane for me too? Ha

Sure...but it's left over from the holidays!

• thl408
I remember Sapolu snapping the ball and pulling to lead block. Not easy for a Center. Madden used to point it out and make a big deal of it. Maybe it wasn't Madden, that was a long time ago.

Jesse can teach MM how to sweep the leg (leg whip it good).
[ Edited by thl408 on Jan 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Brandon Thomas.

Certainly hope so. High hopes for him as well. Martin has an uphill battle beating out Kilgore at center IMO. He's got a ways to go. Thought Kilgore was clearly the better player before getting hurt. Should be interesting.

versatile offensive line.
kilgore center martin and thomas guards
looney was nice at guard for us too.
some good coaching...the line becomes a huge strength once again
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Solari out and Sapolu in

They said no
Given the way Martin played at c I'd say he's a guard for sure. However, Thomas is prob a much better pass protector bc he played tackle and Martin may be only a good run blocker. Martin got pushed around this year and quite a few rookie centers and guards excel their first year so I think Thomas should take over as lg and Martin is the top backup g and c. When Boone leaves next year then Martin a rg.
Originally posted by NCommand:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/13/7541195/marcus-martin-doing-some-work-with-49ers-great-jesse-sapolu

Merge please as search feature is down.

the link was based on a fb post of sapolu saying he spent one day talking with martin

hope they spent more time together lulz
Marcus Martin was fighting injuries all year but did reasonably well for a 3rd round draft pick. The niners coaches tend to leave rookies on the bench and work them in slowly so when Kilgore beat out Martin I wasn't surprised. After Kilgore went down Martin came in and looked much like a rookie. I believe Drevno taught zone blocking at USC so Martin may be very solid if they switch styles.

Foerster is a former center and he might really help our young group excel. He will definitely be able to evaluate who is more suited for C versus G.
That is great news.

Will Martin start over Kilgore next year? Or maybe Kilgore kicks out to guard?
Kilgore was the 10th best rated c so I don't believe he is replaced. Thomas or Martin will be backup guard for 1 more year with Boone still playing well, especially the last quarter of the year.
A lot will depend on how Foerster evaluates them this offseason, but it makes sense to let them work in slowly while the vets hold down the fort. If he watches much Boone tape, particularly from early on last year, Boone may drop down the depth chart or be traded.

Isn't Martin like 21? He will be fine. Lots of rookies look bad when put in the fire, he just needs to develop. Hoping this new coaching staff can play to his strengths, whether at G or C.
He is the youngest player in nfl? Hes fine
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by English:
Sapolu was an all time great for me.

He sure was.

We ha some outstanding linmen.

Derrick Deese, Kevin Gogan, Steve Wallace - all were some of my favorites, tough as nails too.
Guy McIntyre, Bart Oates, Randy Cross
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

He sure was.

Derrick Deese, Kevin Gogan, Steve Wallace - all were some of my favorites, tough as nails too.

Centers alone--Bruce Bosley, Forrest Blue, Fred Quillen, Randy Cross, Jesse Sapolu, Chris Dalman, Jeremy Newberry, Eric Heitmann--time for another great center!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:

He sure was.

Centers alone--Bruce Bosley, Forrest Blue, Fred Quillen, Randy Cross, Jesse Sapolu, Chris Dalman, Jeremy Newberry, Eric Heitmann--time for another great center!
Bart Oates only two years but they moved Sapolu to guard and Oates and Sapolu both went to the pro bowl that year and Oates went again the next year. The Giants for some reason didn't resign him and let him walk.
Share 49ersWebzone