There are 127 users in the forums

*IF* Fangio becomes HC, who do YOU want as OC?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

*IF* Fangio becomes HC, who do YOU want as OC?

Linehan please, especially since his contract is expiring.

Other than that, pretty much anyone but Shanahan, its one thing to have a douchy coach, its another thing to have a douchy, self-entitled jackass of a coach that seems to have trouble at every stop. Keep him away from this team.

If they could somehow get Randy Fichtner, the QB coach of the Steelers, he's another one I'd be very interested in.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 10, 2015 at 7:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
you guys forget Linehan turned us down in 2009 for the Lions OC job

That's with Singlecell as a head coach. Who knows how he would feel right now. However he is a viable possibility since he has an expiring contract.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Linehan please, especially since his contract is expiring.

Other than that, pretty much anyone but Shanahan, its one thing to have a douchy coach, its another thing to have a douchy, self-entitled jackass of a coach that seems to have trouble at every stop. Keep him away from this team.

Well if its Fangio it will probably be Shanahan. Quinn wants him but he will be in the playoffs to long and it will probably be easier to get a head coaching job being the OC of the 49ers then Jets. Good news is he would probably be a one and done as out OC.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Well if its Fangio it will probably be Shanahan. Quinn wants him but he will be in the playoffs to long and it will probably be easier to get a head coaching job being the OC of the 49ers then Jets. Good news is he would probably be a one and done as out OC.

How about none of the above?
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Shan-wow for OC.

Yes, wow indeed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375961/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

"Kyle b***hes about everything, and then his father has to fix it. He b***hes about the food in the cafeteria, he b***hes about the field, he b***hes about the equipment. He complains and then Mike takes care of it. Kyle is a big problem there. He is not well liked."

"Kyle's not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It's like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he's got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that's it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son's buddies.

"What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?' How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you'd expect on that staff?"

"Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff," the source said. "He's a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he's got entitlement syndrome. That's why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it's his father's fault for pacifying his son."

Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
People say Gase is made by Manning but no one writes about how Fangio may be made by Willis , bowman an all the talent that was already here.
Did you not watch this season? Did you see how decimated the defense was with injuries? For them to still be so effective this year was a miracle.
Originally posted by theduke85:
Did you not watch this season? Did you see how decimated the defense was with injuries? For them to still be so effective this year was a miracle.

I do think Fangio has benefited from the talent to a large degree, I don't think that the light suddenly came on after years of being an average defensive coordinator at best, a guy who was known for his defenses progressively getting worse season by season. He did a stellar job this past season considering the injury issues and he deserves to remain in his position as a DC to continue the good work he's done, I just don't see him as someone that has the NFL head coaching chops. I felt that same way about Trestman as well.
Our owners and mgmt in league circles are the laughing stock of the NFL at the moment. That's just the truth, getting an OC to make a lateral move is gonna be tough. Jed wants to hire his 10 year teacher here, it's more likely we are looking at 2 new HC in the next 3 years. You might as well give a youn offensive minded coach the shot to be here. People say Gase is made by Manning but no one writes about how Fangio may be made by Willis , bowman an all the talent that was already here. He's been in other places an his D's weren't half as good, hmmm maybe Harbaugh taught him a few things over the past half decade he's been following him around? That's a question for ya

This year our Defense ranked top 5 even with Willis Bowman Williams Dorsey Borland on IR.....do you still think that it is because of these players that we rank that high ?
Let's face it....ALL the success we had in the past 4 years WAS because of Fangio....look at how many "no names" free agents we signed ended up playing so well ?
How many expected Dorsey Rodgers Bethea Skuta Williams to play so effectively BEFORE they played for us ?
He is by far the best thing that happened to our team !
Look at how many injuries we had this year on defense and yet we still played well enough to put us in position to win all the games had the offense not looked so pathetic.....
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Robj49er:
Adam Gase when he becomes HC. Why should we settle for a second rate OC when we can have the best. If Fangio doesn't still want to be one of the highest payed coordinator with a stack defensive team then give the job to Donatell or Tomsula.

man.. you with guys keep hyping up Gase...it going to be hard not to want excellence on every play

I wonder how much of his success is due to Peyton Manning.

Also whats the issue with Fangio as HC? He is a great DC, and deserves a shot at being a HC, better idea than frigging Tomsula, who maybe had a good run in NFL Europa, but c'mon, that's like minor league football back then.

I swear if Tomsula is the DC I will frigging yell at my TV, he isn't the man for the DC spot, that's either Fangio(If he isn't HC) or Donatell, who deserves a shot at a DC spot.

I have no problem with Fangio being the HC. There are some DC HC's in this league who have been successful, lets not use Nolan or Singletary as examples either. One big example..Belichik. I get that people want an OC as the HC because of the offensive woes but bringing in a capable OC to run the offense would still be more successful than what Roman/Harbs had done. Lets knot forget, Fangio is a DC and he's going to have his stamp on the defensive side of the ball. You have to think Fangio is not going to allow the offense to be unproductive like it was in 2014 because even he knows his defense was basically keeping the team in games while the offense couldn't do sh*t. I'm almost certain he has a guy in mind for the offense whether its Shanahan or whomever and plans to stay hands off. The offense is the big question mark into 2015, and if Fangio is hired as the HC, he must have a great plan in place.

In my opinion, hiring Fangio would be the best option going into a 2015 season where the niners HAVE TO be a SB contender especially with the SB being played in your house. Bringing in new coaches (I mean HC, DC, OC) would be considered a rebuilding year in my opinion and Baalke already said its not a rebuild but a "re-tool".
The thing about Vic that I think everybody is overlooking is that he has a conservative approach to defense. What makes us think he wouldn't want a conservative offense that's any different than the offenses we've seen the last couple of years.

It's my belief we need status quo on defense and a dynamic approach on offense.

• Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Magic16:
This year our Defense ranked top 5 even with Willis Bowman Williams Dorsey Borland on IR.....do you still think that it is because of these players that we rank that high ?
Let's face it....ALL the success we had in the past 4 years WAS because of Fangio....look at how many "no names" free agents we signed ended up playing so well ?
How many expected Dorsey Rodgers Bethea Skuta Williams to play so effectively BEFORE they played for us ?
Look at how many injuries we had this year on defense and yet we still played well enough to put us in position to win all the games had the offense not looked so pathetic.....

Exactly, if Fangio is passed over the job and ends up leaving because of it..not only are you going to have a questionable offense but the defense becomes questionable to.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Shanny
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shorteous:
The thing about Vic that I think everybody is overlooking is that he has a conservative approach to defense. What makes us think he wouldn't want a conservative offense that's any different than the offenses we've seen the last couple of years.

It's my belief we need status quo on defense and a dynamic approach on offense.

Having a super aggressive offense can kill your defense if they aren't giving the defense enough time to rest. I prefer a dynamic conservative approach -- like Kubiak or Shanahan.

Zone Run, Zone Read, Play Action, Packaged play... over and over and over.
Originally posted by Magic16:

Really Dorsey was the 5th overall pick in the draft and never became a sack artist but was a great run defender and Bathea was a Pro bowl safety.
Really Dorsey was the 5th overall pick in the draft and never became a sack artist but was a great run defender and Bathea was a Pro bowl safety.

Cmon dont do this... theres a reason why KC let Dorsey walk, he turned in a borderline pro-bowl caliber player with us before injuries. His job mostly is to be a run stopper if he plays NT, might get time at DE this year, well see what happens with Justin Smith. Bethea is a baller. But yeah, Aldon gone for 9 games,Willis for most the year,Bowman for the year,Borland towards the end, Brock for what seemed like the whole year,Jimmy Ward for more then half of the year,Chris Cook for the year, Acker for the year,Ian Williams for most of the year and were also going to see if Keith Raeser was worth the low risk.

Every guy is going to be at full force. Tank and Dial got some great playing time down the stretch,along with Dontae Johnson. Lynch is going to be in his second year. Well see what happens with Justin Smith and Brooks.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Jan 10, 2015 at 11:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone