LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Vernon Davis what is he worth?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I can't believe how short term of memory people have on here. Vernon just had a 13 touchdown season in 2013. Now let's think about this logically....

Did Vernon all of the sudden just fall of the map and now he completely sucks and has lost his ability?

Or was his off year due to injuries, a pathetic offense, poor quarterback play, terrible offensive coordinator, and complete lack of targets?

People that think he suddenly sucks are extremely ignorant. And he's lost his speed? Um no. He is one of those physical specimens in the mold of a Terrell Owens that is a workout warrior and his athleticism will decline later than the normal athlete. If anything when healthy, he's faster than the 4.38 he ran at the combine. He's about 15 pounds lighter than he was then.

It's obvious his off year was due to a combination of factors such as injuries and the complete ineptitude of the coordinator, offensive line, and quarterback. You're not going to put up any numbers with a f**ked up back, a coordinator that doesn't call plays for you, and a quarterback that was consistently off target throwing your way.

I know he still has it because of that long ass touchdown catch against San Diego that was called back..

Well, he did forget how to catch and block:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/07/49ers-vernon-davis-missing-from-offense/

Just hope his severe drop-off was injury-related.
I love Vernon as a person. And I admit he is a specimen as an athlete. He is/was special as a deep threat TE, and apparently a pretty good blocker for a TE.

BUT, I have said this before and say it again, he is not a natural TE - so he is not a QB's "best friend" in terms of 3rd down and outlet receiver. He is not natural catching the ball, his hips have always been stiff, so his route running is fine for deep routes and stop routes, but his routes for outs, ins, and sharp cuts are not there. Watch his routes, they are very rounded angles, which make him easier to cover. His stiffness is even apparent on his RAC, he has to stop to cut and then is easy to bring down. He does not have soft hands, so he catches and holds the ball awkardly.

He is NOT a Tony Gonzales, Graham, Whitten, or Gates - big wingspan, easy target for QBs that can also gouge the defense - or even some of the other emerging 6'5" speed TEs that are becoming key targets for other teams.

All that being said, it is quiet astounding he has been so successful, and that is really a testament to him as a person and his work ethic. He had delivered a lot of big plays - he was Alex Smith's only trusted downfield target that he would throw to in coverage, and he was great as Colin's deep target as well. Thank you VD for that.

But his age and just a little loss of speed have defenses now able to contain him. I HOPE, if he comes back he proves me WAY wrong.

But, I think the 49ers would be just fine trading him and getting a more traditional TE that can present a big throwing window to a QB to keep the chains moving. I'd be way happier having that added to the offense.
[ Edited by HearstFan on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:13 PM ]
  • fropwns
  • #1 Greenlaw Fan
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
About tree fitty.

He's worth more staying on the 49ers and hopefully recovering from his injuries and other assorted malaise than they would be able to get back in any trade.

Say they hire a guy like Kubiak who really likes to use his TE's, keeping VD would be essential IMO.
I said damnit, woman! Don't go givin' that der lockness monster no damn tree fitty!
  • Chico
  • Veteran
I was so excited when we drafted him and own his jersey. But, he looks so stiff and drops too many damn balls. Also, how about reaching for some of those balls that are just within arms reach instead of watching the ball pass you by. It looks like he doesn't even make any effort to go after it because he's afraid of getting hit. Furthermore, with that size and mass of muscle you have, how about punishing some of those DB's when they are getting ready to tackle you instead of jumping out of bounds like a scared little girl!
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
I can't believe how short term of memory people have on here. Vernon just had a 13 touchdown season in 2013. Now let's think about this logically....

Did Vernon all of the sudden just fall of the map and now he completely sucks and has lost his ability?

Or was his off year due to injuries, a pathetic offense, poor quarterback play, terrible offensive coordinator, and complete lack of targets?

People that think he suddenly sucks are extremely ignorant. And he's lost his speed? Um no. He is one of those physical specimens in the mold of a Terrell Owens that is a workout warrior and his athleticism will decline later than the normal athlete. If anything when healthy, he's faster than the 4.38 he ran at the combine. He's about 15 pounds lighter than he was then.

It's obvious his off year was due to a combination of factors such as injuries and the complete ineptitude of the coordinator, offensive line, and quarterback. You're not going to put up any numbers with a f**ked up back, a coordinator that doesn't call plays for you, and a quarterback that was consistently off target throwing your way.

I know he still has it because of that long ass touchdown catch against San Diego that was called back..

Agree his decline in production had a lot to do with factors that were out of his control, but his blocking was weak and he ran sloppy routes. Not to mention he had the highest drop rate of any starting TE in the league. That's on him.

Dude was not focused this year. Maybe it had to do with his hold-out or diminished role on offense, but it's clear he wasn't going full throttle like he used to.
Worth my left nut which isn't much.
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
About tree fitty.

He's worth more staying on the 49ers and hopefully recovering from his injuries and other assorted malaise than they would be able to get back in any trade.

Say they hire a guy like Kubiak who really likes to use his TE's, keeping VD would be essential IMO.
I said damnit, woman! Don't go givin' that der lockness monster no damn tree fitty!

"Well it was about that time that I noticed this girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the paleolithic era. The Lockness monster!. I says, 'Dam*it monster get off my lawn I ain't giva ya no tree fiddy!', He said 'how about just two fiddy?' I say 'awe now it only two fiddy, what...is there a sell on Lockness monster's or something?'"

"Lord he was angry."

"Damn right I was angry."

"Not you the monster he was about to kick your a**."

"Ah...shut your mouth woman!"
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Two medium sized smoothies (any flavors you wish)
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
This is nuts. The guy was injured last season and when he did play the offense was totally out of sync and that is precisely why Harbaugh got fired and we are sitting here at 8-8. Don't forget, Vernon had 13 of the 20 passing TDs the year before. AND to add, how do you propose to get rid of him when we have no TEs going forward ? Baalke had wasted that 2nd round pick in Vance McDonald, the dude is a bust and as such the only other catching TE we have now is Carrier. Clearly, we will have to redraft the position. If we do end up drafting a TE in May and if he can prove he can play, then just may be we can talk about it next offseason. But, at this juncture ? Hell no, is totally ridiculous.
Originally posted by Rascal:
This is nuts. The guy was injured last season and when he did play the offense was totally out of sync and that is precisely why Harbaugh got fired and we are sitting here at 8-8. Don't forget, Vernon had 13 of the 20 passing TDs the year before. AND to add, how do you propose to get rid of him when we have no TEs going forward ? Baalke had wasted that 2nd round pick in Vance McDonald, the dude is a bust and as such the only other catching TE we have now is Carrier. Clearly, we will have to redraft the position. If we do end up drafting a TE in May and if he can prove he can play, then just may be we can talk about it next offseason. But, at this juncture ? Hell no, is totally ridiculous.

Of course there's no way we trade him. We have nothing else at the position. Just have to bank on him bouncing back next year, which I think he can do if he's focused. I don't think he was this year. I think deep down he was pouting over his contract and diminished role and let it effect his play on the field.

Agree we need to add another draftee to the mix. Vance is a pretty good blocking tight end, but has offered virtually nothing in the passing game. Which is odd because that was the exact opposite of his scouting report from college lol. Maybe that will change with a new coach or scheme, but we can't bank on it. He had more drops than catches this year for pete's sake.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jan 7, 2015 at 6:51 PM ]

Lol ok the next question is will you give VD New contract? After this year? If not why keep him around this year ?
Originally posted by Trav49:
Lol ok the next question is will you give VD New contract? After this year? If not why keep him around this year ?

Definitely not. He's got to produce next year first. Prove this year was a fluke, not a sign of decline. We keep him around because there is nothing else at the position. Need time to find a capable replacement. If he plays well next year he should be easy to re-sign. I'm sure he'd like to be back if he's involved in the offense and playing well. But if he puts up another dud, it's time to let him walk.
First 10:29 of the season, 2 TDs. Next 943 minutes....no TDs. Hard to believe he was healthy and we did have injury attrition at TE. He is the same old VD, all the things listed above...body catcher, art gallery owner, publicly traded stock, doesn't fight for the ball, lost a step or 3 but he is here for another year unless traded. Hats off to the FO for not renegotiating during the hold out. That enormous cap hit will be off the books in one more year. Can't imagine someone taking him on with that salary. Question is, how much of it will we pay for him to go play elsewhere if he is traded.
TE is the hardest position to draft according to a study I read in ESPN Mag. I wouldn't risk anything but one of the comp picks from departed free agents on TE. Vance is a poor mans jace amaro or Eric Ebron. And that's pretty poor. I'm done with him.
Keep. New coach with a real offensive approach can still get use out of him. No one not named Boldin was going to get much attention from CK with the line struggling to muster up more than 2-3 seconds of pocket protection and with the inherent lack of speed to get the necessary separation on routes, there realky wasn't much to be expected. If they can work on rolling out CK to open up passing lanes in a similar way that Seattle does with RW, VD could have a very productive year as he has been in the past.

A lot depends on who's hired as coach of course as well as who becomes the OC, but if there is an honest attempt to be more dynamic offensively as we've heard is the goal, having a healthy VD with some new offensive schematic ideas on how to get the most out of the offense can help in trying to get that done.

For a team lacking in speed, dumping a healthy VD who is arguably the fastest guy on offense when healthy, would not be wise until there's a clear jump in speed amongst the skill position personnel. Until you have something better, you keep whatever assets you have. Until further notice and based on his track record, VD is still an asset when healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone