LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors and News Here)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors and News Here)

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
As it stands right now, it's hard to tell what direction the team is going to go. To me, Gase is the biggest boom or bust on this list. I'm really iffy on him. I like Fangio and Austin, but really don't know how great of a fit either of them are. It's great being able to cope with defensive injuries, but what about offense? Has anyone proven to be able to cope with those? The Broncos seemed to struggle once Sanders and Manning got nicked up.

Personally, no matter who we go with as HC, we still need to find a strong OC. One person they may consider for OC would be Carl Smith, Seattle's quarterback coach. He was last an OC for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005-2007 when they made the playoffs twice in that span with Byron Leftwich and David Garrard. In 2005, the team went 12-4 despite Leftwich (who was the starter), Garrard, and Quinn Gray (3rd string) all seeing time at QB due to injuries.

Unless his contract is up, I don't see how he could become an OC with the 49ers. QB Coach to OC is still regarded as a lateral move and if Seattle really likes the guy, its doubtful that they'd give their approval.

I am not sure what kind of deal he is on, but I think he's at the end of it. There are no reports of any extension and this would be his 4th year.

From what i can see its either retirement or re-up. Carroll and Smith seem pretty close. They coached together at NE, USC and now Seattle.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
i would love to know how this process works. The HC is offered the position and during the interview he says the coordinators he will bring in, but how does he know this? Wouldn't it be a crap shoot with a 1st time HC? A 1st time HC gets the job and then he starts calling up people?

He gives the team examples of assistants that he feels he could secure, the kinds of guys that he'd be comfortable working with.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Shanny hands down. Being in the DC area the consensus on local sports talk is the RG3 disaster is all on owner Daniel Snyder. Snyder treated Griffin like his best buddy and gave him special privileges which divided the locker room and undermined Shanahan's authority. Seems like all of Mike's bad results came where ownership was toxic (Raiders, Redskins). I will be disappointed if he isn't hired here.
Originally posted by BobS:
Shanny hands down. Being in the DC area the consensus on local sports talk is the RG3 disaster is all on owner Daniel Snyder. Snyder treated Griffin like his best buddy and gave him special privileges which divided the locker room and undermined Shanahan's authority. Seems like all of Mike's bad results came where ownership was toxic (Raiders, Redskins). I will be disappointed if he isn't hired here.
its not like shanny was doing anything before RGIII
Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet

Candidate generating interest under the radar: Gary Kubiak. After (if) #Ravens are out of playoffs, expect #49ers to talk to him. #Jets, too

• Jcool
  • Veteran
YES!!!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
Candidate generating interest under the radar: Gary Kubiak. After (if) #Ravens are out of playoffs, expect #49ers to talk to him. #Jets, too
Originally posted by Jcool:
YES!!!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Haha, I beat you.
Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet

would be very satisfied with kubiak as HC.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
YES!!!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet

Haha, I beat you.

As it stands right now, it's hard to tell what direction the team is going to go. To me, Gase is the biggest boom or bust on this list. I'm really iffy on him. I like Fangio and Austin, but really don't know how great of a fit either of them are. It's great being able to cope with defensive injuries, but what about offense? Has anyone proven to be able to cope with those? The Broncos seemed to struggle once Sanders and Manning got nicked up.

Personally, no matter who we go with as HC, we still need to find a strong OC. One person they may consider for OC would be Carl Smith, Seattle's quarterback coach. He was last an OC for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2005-2007 when they made the playoffs twice in that span with Byron Leftwich and David Garrard. In 2005, the team went 12-4 despite Leftwich (who was the starter), Garrard, and Quinn Gray (3rd string) all seeing time at QB due to injuries.

Unless his contract is up, I don't see how he could become an OC with the 49ers. QB Coach to OC is still regarded as a lateral move and if Seattle really likes the guy, its doubtful that they'd give their approval.

He will also be 67 next year. How many years of coaching does he even have left?

If age is a concern, I think the following would be fine options to consider at OC as well:

Dave Canales - Assistant QB coach. 34.
Tom Herman - Ohio State OC/QB Coach. Also only 39.
Matt Nagy - KC Chiefs QB Coach. 36 years old.
Randy Fichtner - Steelers QB Coach. 51, and has OC experience and strong resume developing WRs.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:05 AM ]

possibly Shanny Kubiak come on board ?
HC: Fangio

DC: Donatell
DT: Tomsula
DB: Greg Jackson - Has been Donatell's #2 since 2011
LB: Leavitt

OC: Dirk Koetter - College HC experience and seven seasons as an NFL OC. Above average red zone offenses. We should be able to hand him the keys and not worry.
WR: Terry Robiske - Currently with Koetter at Atlanta, hopefully we can make it a package deal.
RB: Rathman
OL: ??
TE: ??
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:55 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
Did not watch any of the morning pregame shows. Did they talk at all about the open coaching positions across the league

Same stuff rehashed, no new news.

[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:56 AM ]
I prefer Shanahan. His work with Steve Young before the SuperBowl against the Chargers shows me how meticulous Shanahan is when it comes to the West Coast playbook when he grilled Steve Young with the playbook until he memorized every aspect of the plays. Kap needs that level of attention to be successful.
Share 49ersWebzone