LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors and News Here)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

The 49ers 2015 Coaching Search Thread(All Rumors and News Here)

Updating the previous thread with the main candidates that the 49ers have been looking at or are thus far planning to interview. Put all coaching rumors here, state your preferences for a head coach, talk about anything related to the 49ers coaching search and the possible future coaching staff.

So far the 49ers have interviewed Dan Quinn, Vic Fangio, Mike Shanahan and Adam Gase

On Deck are Josh McDaniels and Rex Ryan.

They've also requested to interview Todd Bowles and Teryl Austin but no dates have been set since both their teams have Wild Card games this weekend.

49ers have not as of yet had an interview with Jim Tomsula, or if they've had one, it has not been made public. They have also reportedly shown interest in Kyle Shanahan but as of today have not scheduled nor requested an interview with him.

Mike Shanahan Most recent job: Head coach, Washington Age-62

Pros: He has the most experience of any of the known 49ers candidates and has coached two of the game's best quarterbacks – Steve Young and John Elway. That's a big selling point for a franchise trying to turn Colin Kaepernick into an elite quarterback. He also has ties to the 49ers' glory years and their original West Coast offense, which would be trumpeted in an introductory press conference.

Cons: Shanahan's last quarterback project ended with then-rookie Robert Griffin III taking a beating from which he has yet to recover. Shanahan went 24-41 in four seasons in Washington and lost his only playoff appearance.

Vic Fangio Most recent job: Defensive coordinator, 49ers

Pros: He showed a keen eye for placing players in the right spots when he began assembling the 49ers after the 2011 lockout. His units have finished in the top five ever since and his blunt and honest style has won the respect of his players. Fangio would add an element of calm to the franchise after such a dizzying 2014 campaign.

Cons: That blunt style may not play well with a front office that felt undermined at times by Jim Harbaugh. Meanwhile, the 49ers' most important component is Kaepernick, and they may be prefer an offensive coach.

Rex Ryan Most recent job: Former head coach, Jets

Pros: He has a commanding personality and presence that could galvanize even a veteran team, which the 49ers are at this point. His Jets defenses typically have been stout in recent years.

Cons: While the Jets' defenses have been top 10 in caliber, Fangio's have been top five. Hiring Ryan over Fangio could be a tough sell to the players. Furthermore, the 49ers need the most help on offense and with their quarterback, both of which were Ryan's downfalls in New York.

Adam Gase Most recent job: Offensive coordinator, Broncos

Pros: He's been part of one of the league's top offenses in recent seasons and has worked closely with perhaps the best quarterback in the game. Gase is said to have a strong personality and he's been an excellent match with Peyton Manning, something that must entice the 49ers as they look for someone to work with Kaepernick.

Cons: Gase is a year older than Justin Smith and might have trouble with a veteran roster that was given the run of the place under Harbaugh. Furthermore, it's hard to distinguish who was most responsible for Denver's offensive success – Gase or Manning.

Josh McDaniels Most recent job: Offensive coordinator, Patriots

Pros: He's also young, but the Patriots' offensive coordinator is more experienced than Gase, having been the Broncos' head coach in 2009 and 2010. Like Gase, McDaniels is known for offense and for working with quarterbacks.

Cons: McDaniels' stint in Denver ended just 12 games into his second season and it was clear he did not have the respect of the locker room. His record with quarterbacks also was not good in Denver – Jay Cutler didn't trust him and he was traded to Chicago. The Broncos selected Tim Tebow – now out of the league – in the first round of the 2010 draft.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article5352360.html
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:09 AM ]
Good article on Teryl Austin, seems like a real darkhorse head coaching candidate. Limited resume, only one year as a DC but has been around some successful teams and coaches, well liked by the players, intriguing candidate.

Players have said Austin is a maestro when it comes to schematics, effortlessly putting guys in positions to utilize their strengths while also covering their weaknesses.

He carries himself like a head coach, too, both in his speech and demeanor. He's not a screamer, not an abrasive personality, yet still commands the respect of his players.

That kind of style could be attractive to the 49ers, who are looking to "win with class" in the post-Harbaugh era.

Harbaugh wins, a lot, but also has a a grating personality that eventually wore out his welcome in the 49ers front office. Teams often hire coaches who are antithetical in personality to their predecessor -- think the Lions' transition from Jim Schwartz to Jim Caldwell -- and if that holds true in San Francisco, Austin could be a logical fit.

Austin, though, might not quite have the resume to land a gig in this cycle.

He's coached in Super Bowls as a defensive backs coach with Seattle, Arizona and Baltimore, and spent one season as Urban Meyer's defensive coordinator at Florida. But he also has only one year of NFL coordinating experience, and none as a head coach.

That will work against him in his courtships with San Francisco, Atlanta and any of the other four teams seeking head coaches who might head his way.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/01/teryl_austin_is_a_candidate_to.html

In his first year as defensive coordinator, Austin has transformed the Lions defense into one of the best units in the NFL. Despite having mainly the same players as Jim Schwartz a year ago, the Lions have become the top run defense by a wide margin, and their secondary has improved a great deal. I suppose this shouldn't be a huge surprise considering Austin was previously the secondary coach for the Seahawks, Cardinals andRavens, and he actually went to a Super Bowl with all three of those teams.

The other big strength that I've noticed is Austin's ability to cope with injuries. The Lions lost their top two nickelbacks and their starting middle linebacker early in the season, yet there was never any real drop-off with the defense. I suppose that speaks to Austin's ability to create excellent game plans that can function even with backups playing at certain positions.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/2/7479559/49ers-head-coach-candidates-teryl-austin-scouting-report

Lions defense went from 16th in the NFL to 2nd, with pretty much the same personnel.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM ]
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Shanahan as HC, Kyle Shanahan as OC (or vice versa) (if they both do really well in his interview and reference checking, etc)Keep the defense staff intact by giving out some raises and perhaps "asst head coach" titles
The more I think about this, the more I'm becoming obsessed with this idea:
2012 RG3 (healthy knee, under the Shanahans): 65.6 CMP%, 8.14 Y/A (best in NFL), 20 TD, 5 INT, 102.4 passer rating; 815 yards rushing, 6.8 Y/A, 7 TD
2012 Alfred Morris: 1,613 yards (2nd in NFL), 4.8 Y/A, 13 TD

I bet Kap and Hyde would absolutely thrive under their system. Couple that with our defense, and we'd be a force to be reckoned with.

My dream outcome would be:
HC - Mike Shanahan
OC - Kyle Shanahan
DC - Vic Fangio

Of course, this is probably a pipe dream for a number of reasons... why would the Browns let Kyle walk to a lateral position? Would Fangio stick around and pass up the opportunity for a head coaching gig somewhere? (be it college or pros) Is Mike even interested in coming back to coaching, or is he just feeling the waters? I think logistically it'd be really hard to pull off, and I really don't think it's going to happen. That would be a tremendous staff though.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora

Ed Donatell's interview for the Skins vacant DC job is early next week. Would be Vic Fangio's DC if Fangio gets the SF head coach job
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Jcool:

Ed Donatell's interview for the Skins vacant DC job is early next week. Would be Vic Fangio's DC if Fangio gets the SF head coach job

My guess was Mangina as the DC if Fangio got the HC job. Donatell......better yet. so who will be Fangio's OC, I think that's what everyone wants to know??
Its gonna Be fangio as head Coach with a new OC/QB coach like Gase waiting in the wings.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Its gonna Be fangio as head Coach with a new OC/QB coach like Gase waiting in the wings.

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

My guess was Mangina as the DC if Fangio got the HC job. Donatell......better yet. so who will be Fangio's OC, I think that's what everyone wants to know??

I know Tomsula and Quinn like Dirk Koetter.

No, I think Mangini is long gone. He's seen as one of Harbaugh's guys.

Donatell makes perfect sense as the DC if Fangio becomes head coach as he's done that job before in the NFL and has gotten a lot of credit for the 49ers inserting random cornerback's into the lineup and still having success.

just move Tomsula to OC

Did not watch any of the morning pregame shows. Did they talk at all about the open coaching positions across the league

LOL. It makes perfect sense, Gase can pass up on several head coaching jobs to come be an offensive coordinator for the 49ers.

Oh wait, no it doesnt.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

No, I think Mangini is long gone. He's seen as one of Harbaugh's guys.

Donatell makes perfect sense as the DC if Fangio becomes head coach as he's done that job before in the NFL and has gotten a lot of credit for the 49ers inserting random cornerback's into the lineup and still having success.

Then who will be the Secondary coach?
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
just move Tomsula to OC

1st Down-Fullback Dive

2nd Down-Halfback Dive

3rd Down-Screen to the FB

BLUDGEON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2015 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
just move Tomsula to OC

1st Down-Fullback Dive