Best ever ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Super Bowl era 49ers

1. Frank Gore
2. Roger Craig
3. Ricky Watters
4. Garrison Hearst

Craig and Gore are close, but Gore has been too consistant not to get the top spot.

i agree with this
I grew up with hearst/barlow and frank the tank. Frank Gore is the best running back for the sf. Earns every yard.
joe the jet perry says hi
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
No mention of Phillips ?

I know the cap was gonna get us eventually, but that SOB supercharged the process by missing that block in Arizona that Monday night.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jan 3, 2015 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by wailers15:
Lol i had this discussion with my pops. I'm 37 he's 62. He schooled me him and grandps. I said Frank Gore & Craig in my opinion from what I have seen, but they said Joe Perry hands down was the best.
They said if the NFL/niners counted stats prior to the merger Perry would be the niners all time rushing leader.
Hmmm so after doing some looking into, damn they're right.
First RB to hit consecutive 1,000 yd seasons?
11,744 Combined yds add 1,784 from the AAFC yrs ..well yeah he is a stud

I'll say the same thing about Perry as I've said about Jim Brown. The game they played isn't the game you see today. Defenses are far more advanced and can easily scheme to shut down ANY player in the league today, or at any time for that matter. Back then, guys could use their superior physical attributes to dominate the game. That isn't the case anymore.

I can appreciate seeing a superior athlete do his thing and run wild, but if you placed Perry or Brown in today's bigger, faster and smarter NFL, I don't think they'd be anything close to the RBs they were when they played.

For those reasons, I'd say Gore is the best 49er RB ever. His vision is unmatched and he did the majority of his damage against modern defenses that usually only focused on stopping HIM and only him due to a lack of a passing game. He was literally all we had for the longest time and he STILL got it done.
Jamal Robertson , I got bonus points for actually knowing who that dude is
Originally posted by English:
Kevan Barlow? Someone mentioned Barlow in this thread?

DUH......Barlow sucked.....Now Kory Sheets on the other hand.....that dude was magic....
Originally posted by CWin4949:
Originally posted by English:
Kevan Barlow? Someone mentioned Barlow in this thread?

DUH......Barlow sucked.....Now Kory Sheets on the other hand.....that dude was magic....

There was a Thomas Clayton reference in the zone in another thread. That name of course does not belong here
[ Edited by Jamespowers on Jan 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
There was a Thomas Clayton reference in zone in another thread. That name of course does not belong here

John Clayton>Thomas Clayton

Yep ! Lol

Don't forget Charlie Garner.

All of the backs listed. Gore, Hearst, Watters and Craig were unique in their own ways. To rank them is very difficult. Just on production you have to go Frank, Roger, Ricky and Garrison.

Gore is a grinder and if you truly love that hard nosed runner who gets tons of after-contact yards he's a great one but not explosive.

Craig was really fun to watch because he was so unique. Doesn't get the credit for what he did. He was Marshall Faulk before Faulk was so amazing. He could catch and run equally and his running style was very, very unique. Love watching him play. Unfortunately he will be remembered by alot of us for that damn fumble.

Watters didn't seem like he was around all that long but a very blue collar runner. Did a lot of things well and was productive. Got his money and moved on and I'm not sure if that was the right choice for him. He did ok in Philly but that was it.

Loved Hearst for his heart if anything. Was a great productive and resurrected his career like no other. Was explosive even when he shouldn't have been and another joy to watch run.

We've been blessed with some great backs but if I look at production, length of career and what they meant to the team I have to tip my hat to Frank. He's been there through good and bad and has produced year in and year out. And even with his running style he has stayed moderately healthy. We need to appreciate him that for sure because even if he isn't super flashy and isn't publicly vocal, he really, really knows the game of football. Watching him play is a treat to the football purist. I hope he comes back and finishes his career in Frisco because like BY he deserves a ring and he deserves to be carried off the field.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:

Yep ! Lol

The best running back will always be a tie between the one week we had Rodney Hampton signed before he Giants matched the offer sheet and the couple weeks in the preseason we had johnny johnson
Perry deserves his due, he doesn't get enough credit because some dude named Jim Brown came along right after him and smashed all his records.

In the modern era no question Gore. He is underappreciated even amongst our fanbase because in today's world of fantasy sports, he never put up big stats or lead the league in anything, largely due to playing with s**tty passing offenses and just plain bad teams that kept down his rushing attempts and TD chances.

I would love nothing better than to have him come back in a feature role for a revamped offense and put up 1,500 rushing, 500 receiving, 15tds and everyone will be like 'wtf this is what he could've been doing all along if we actually had an offense?' It won't happen with Hyde around, but there's no question in my mind Frank could've been that guy every year if he didn't have to play with rank 25 passing offenses his entire career.

The best part about Frank is that he is nowhere near done, the last two games proved as much. He talked about it a couple years ago before the SB, as long as you can 'cut and go' in this league, you can still play.
Dudes forgetting Maurice Hicks!
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Dudes forgetting Maurice Hicks!

get that crap outta here
Share 49ersWebzone