LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 366 users in the forums

2015 Team Needs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Dont forget to add a veteran QB to mentor Kap. He needs it. Much better when Alex was on the sideline schooling him.

I have a veteran QB plus a hand-picked QB by the new HC/OC as a top tier need.

Hand-picked isnt happening. New coach wont do the draft, that Baalke's job and the FO signed Kap to the extension. That wasnt a Harbs thing only.

Besides, many coaches will be enamored with the thought of Kap and what they can do with him.

Oh, I don't think there is any question CK will be given every opportunity to own this offense over the next two years BUT the HC/OC will work with Baalke to "get their guy" ala CK for Harbaugh. It will be a developmental-guy though from round 2 on.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Tom Gamble has been released by the Eagles. I thought we worked very well with Baalke. I say bring him back to the west coast. Sadly enough the reason why he wanted to go east is no longer a item.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104370/tom-gamble-released-philadelphia-eagles

I think Baalke and Gamble together again you would see a lot more great personnel moves.

I was reading yesterday that their is strife with Chip Kelly and Rosemond the Eagles GM. And that Gamble being fired was ownership taking the GM's side. Gamble was a Kelly guy.

Granted they came in at the same time, but other than that, how is Tom Gamble a Chip Kelly guy?

Meaning they had a good relationship working with each other in regards to personnel. They both butted heads with Rosemond Gamble was who Chip had a good relationship with in the front office.
I just realized that our 2014 offense scored more points on their opening drives collectively than on offense the ENTIRE SECOND HALF COMBINED, collectively.

Yeah...can I add "2nd half offense" as a top tier need for next year?
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 AM ]
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
What I would do Jan 2, 2015 (a rough sketch)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/180888-deuhacutes-1st-mock-january-2015/

Offense

QB: Colin Kaepernick, Garrett Grayson, Josh Johnson, Jerry Lovelocke
RB: Frank Gore, Carlos Hyde, Kendall Hunter, Tevin Coleman, Alfonso Smith, Kendall Gaskins
FB: Bruce Miller, Trey Millard, Hunter Joyer
WR: Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Kevin White, Bruce Ellington, Devin Smith, Quinton Patton, Lance Lewis, Chuck Jacobs, Darius Jennings, Trindon Holiday
TE: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Derek Carrier, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland, Xavier Grimble
OT: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Jermey Parnell, Jonathan Martin, Fou Fonoti, Chris Martin, Luke Marquardt
OG: Alex Boone, Brandon Thomas, Joe Looney, Jarvis Harrison, Andrew Tiller, Dallas Lewallen
C: Daniel Kilgore, Marcus Martin, Dillon Farrell

Defense

NT: Glenn Dorsey, Ian Williams, Mike Purcell, Garrison Smith,
DE: Justin Smith, Jared Odrick, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Tank Carradine, Quinton Dial, Marcus Hardison, Kaleb Ramsey, Lawrence Okoye, Charles Tuaau
OLB: Aldon Smith, Aaron Lynch, Dan Skuta, Corey Lemonier, Geneo Grissom, Chase Thomas
ILB: Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody, Nick Trasher
CB: Chris Culliver, Tramaine Brock, Dontae Johnson, Keith Reaser, Leon McFadden, Chris Cook, Kenneth Acker, Tye Smith, Cameron Fuller
S: Antoine Bethea, Eric Reid, Jimmie Ward, Jeromy Miles, L.J. McCray, Cedric Thompson

Special Teams

K: Phil Dawson, Zach Hocker,
P: Andy Lee
LS: Kyle Nelson, Logan Feimster
[ Edited by DeUh on Mar 17, 2015 at 6:07 AM ]
this draft has some big WR's with speed. Yes please!
Originally posted by DeUh:
What I would do Jan 2, 2015 (a rough sketch)

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/180888-deuhacutes-1st-mock-january-2015/

Holy crap. That is some serious Baalke-like GM-work done right there. Well freaking done!!!!

I encourage you all to check it out.
I just realized that our 2014 offense scored more points on their opening drives collectively than on offense the ENTIRE SECOND HALF COMBINED, collectively.

Thank you for officially depressing me
Originally posted by facestabber:

Thank you for officially depressing me

When you have the wrong offensive philosophy (Bo Schemblacher/Jim Harbaugh) coupled with the wrong OC (Greg Roman) you get 25th in points and an offensive completely figured out.

Given that both are basically gone, you can now!!!
I honestly wouldn't mind a good d lineman FA signing if Cowboy retires to go along with a draft pick. And if he doesn't retire I still see it as a priority position. Probably at #5 on your list. Especially running the 3-4. Tank and Dial are still question marks. Dorsey and Williams coming off major injuries. Not to mention Dorsey had one solid year at NT but he's struggled their most of his career and was better at DE. .

So if Boone is LT and Staley is RT where is Davis? Would you put him at guard or cap casualty?

CB could be tricky like. I think it's either going to be Cox or Culliver. I hope it's Cox.

Good work

Excellent perspective. Updated the OP.

And yes, Davis would slide inside to be our power G (can is also athletic enough to to pull, block down field, etc.). He already got "paid" so this shouldn't be a big issue unless HE views RG as a demotion (which I would doubt).

I can get with Davis at guard

IMO - could be a VERY smart move.

A). In moving Staley to his original position it would improve pass blocking immediately and still have a VERY powerful RG in Davis

B). With ADavis we'd have an experienced Tackle who can play there should injuries come back like before

C). IMO, Boone could be an elite LT if given a whole training camp and exhibition season to reestablish him in his original position

D). It would help us in the draft by not having to get OLIne help early since we still have guys who can develop as starters.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
Agree with most - EXCEPT Anthony Davis at RT is not just a plodder, he is highly athletic. The problem with the OL is coaching/scheme, not talent. The OL sucked when Solari coached it under Nolan and Sing, was good when Trevno was co-OL coach, and sucked again when Trevno left, leaving Solari back in charge.

1. Cox would be my priority res-signing
2. Bye to Crabs
3. Bye to Iupati because someone will way overpay for him - we have Brandon Thomas in the wings from last year's draft.

#1 Draft priority - big bodied receiver - a la Mike Evans or Benjamin from 2014 draft - they had big impacts on their teams.

I think some, like myself, were under the impression we might be moving to a more WCO zone blocking scheme and therefore, we might see some adjustments along the OL (most athletic T's, great pulling G's, agile C, etc.). We'll see but I do expect a different lineup than what we've seen in the past. Another posted noted that Solari is actually a very good zone blocking OL coach and the power running game as not his forte. So, that's another one to keep an eye on.

Staley, Kilgore, and Davis definitely have the feet for ZBS. Looney projects well there, as does Thomas (pretty good feet for a tackle: GREAT feet for a guard). Boone tends to raise his pad level when he moves lateraly, so he could struggle. Iupati really struggles with lateral agility, but he's a goner anyway, so who cares. I haven't seen anything from MMartin that suggests he would struggle. He has great natural size, which does not impede his agility. His strength is still a real issue, IMO. I think if we go ZBS, the OL drops 10-20 lbs per dude and subsequently improves at pass pro, as a side effect.

All of this just my opinion.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I honestly wouldn't mind a good d lineman FA signing if Cowboy retires to go along with a draft pick. And if he doesn't retire I still see it as a priority position. Probably at #5 on your list. Especially running the 3-4. Tank and Dial are still question marks. Dorsey and Williams coming off major injuries. Not to mention Dorsey had one solid year at NT but he's struggled their most of his career and was better at DE. .

So if Boone is LT and Staley is RT where is Davis? Would you put him at guard or cap casualty?

CB could be tricky like. I think it's either going to be Cox or Culliver. I hope it's Cox.

Good work

Excellent perspective. Updated the OP.

And yes, Davis would slide inside to be our power G (can is also athletic enough to to pull, block down field, etc.). He already got "paid" so this shouldn't be a big issue unless HE views RG as a demotion (which I would doubt).

I can get with Davis at guard

IMO - could be a VERY smart move.

A). In moving Staley to his original position it would improve pass blocking immediately and still have a VERY powerful RG in Davis

B). With ADavis we'd have an experienced Tackle who can play there should injuries come back like before

C). IMO, Boone could be an elite LT if given a whole training camp and exhibition season to reestablish him in his original position

D). It would help us in the draft by not having to get OLIne help early since we still have guys who can develop as starters.

I think Staley is still our best LT. Boone is basically the perfectly built RT, and I think he's much better at it than Davis. His feet aren't as quick as Davis' but he is much more disciplined in his technique. Staley is the far superior athlete of the two. He's elite. Boone's success at LT has a lot to do with opposing rushers not having any time or inclination to study him, his technique, and his tendencies leading up to the game, IMO.
WRATHman44!!!

Thank you for your contributions as well. Good stuff!
You keep hearing all over the media that we're an "aging team"...that is, a team with the most players over 30, high median age, etc. Ummmm...what?

For all the offensive, defensive and special teams players, every played included currently (PS, signed to future contracts, FA's, I.R., etc.), we average only 26 years old on offense AND defense. When a few of the expected departures are included, the average drops to 25. The idea that this is an aging team is bogus. The idea that if you are over 30 years old, this means there's a drop off on production has also be debunked. Let's have a look-see!

Here's our OLD guys from 27-39 years old:

Offense:
27 Colin Kaepernick - we good
27 Alex Boone - we good
27 Alfonso Smith - gone
27 Bruce Miller - we good and if not, we have a 23 year old FB in Trey Millard
27 Daniel Kilgore - we good and we have a 21 year old C in Marcus Martin
27 Michael Crabtree - gone
27 Mike Iupati - gone
28 Josh Johnson - gone
28 Stevie Johnson - we good and may be restructured and play well into his early 30's
28 Trindon Holiday - gone
30 Joe Staley - we good and can move to RT as he ages
30 Vernon Davis - could be gone or restrcutured (have plenty of young ones behind him in Carrier, McDonald, both 24 and Celek at 26)
31 Frank Gore - we good here with Hyde at 23 and Hunter at 26 and this 31 year old just put up another 1,000 season = no fall off on production
33 Brandon Lloyd - gone
34 Anquan Boldin - we good and this 34 year old just put up another 1,000 season = no fall off on production
34 Kassim Osgood - gone

Defense & Special Teams:
28 Dan Skuta - we good
28 Michael Wilhoite - we good
28 Kyle Nelson - we good (ST)
29 Glenn Dorsey - we good esp. b/c of a 24 year old Quinton Dial and 25 year old Ian Williams
29 Patrick Willis - we good and will 100% healthy for the first time (and hungry)
29 Craig Dahl - gone
30 Ahmad Brooks - restrutured or gone
30 Desmond Bishop - gone
30 Antoine Bethea - pro bowl selction and better than Whitner was
32 Bubba Ventrone - gone but a ST ace for us
32 Andy Lee - we good and had a good season
35 Justin Smith - most likely gone but had a good year
39 Phil Dawson - we good and had a good season

30+ Club:
30 Joe Staley - we good and can move to RT as he ages
30 Vernon Davis - could be gone or restrcutured (have plenty of young ones behind him in Carrier, McDonald, both 24 and Celek at 26)
31 Frank Gore - this 31 year old just put up another 1,000 season = no fall off on production
33 Brandon Lloyd - your services will no longer be required
34 Anquan Boldin - this 34 year old just put up another 1,000 season = no fall off on production
34 Kassim Osgood - gone most likely but still a ST ace
30 Ahmad Brooks - lead the team in sacks and continued producing clutch plays for us
30 Desmond Bishop - gone
30 Antoine Bethea - pro bowl
32 Bubba Ventrone - gone most likely but still a ST ace
32 Andy Lee - another good season
35 Justin Smith - most likely gone but still had a strong year
39 Phil Dawson - another good season
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 3, 2015 at 5:16 PM ]
Okoye locked in now too. May be a sign Tomsula is staying which may be a sign Fangio will be staying.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/01/2015-reservefuture-signings-tracker/
Originally posted by wailers15:
Major Needs:

DB depth: Brock couldn't stay healthy, nor Ward, Reid's concussion issue should be a concern, lot's of rookies got PT this yr (lots of room to grow), gotta lock up Culliver. Cox is decent, but not much to get excited about. Dahl will be gone (thank you) so a replacement will be needed. I think Donte Johnson should be moved back to safety, he just doesn't have the recovery speed

DL depth: Big worry spot here. Williams can't stay healthy (bad breaks / no pun intended), Smith may retire, Ray Mac gone, Dorsey (can he stay healthy with age), Dial & Tank are very very raw. This is a huge need. We saw this yr the lack of pass rush & sacks, granted injuries & suspensions didn't help.

WR: for the love of God can we draft a WR that can stretch the field?!?! Crabtree will be gone (no way can I see us paying his overrated-injured ass)

I think we certainly need to address the depth/insurance on both the OL and DL. CBs we've done well with, but I'm sure we'll add at least one or two in the draft/FA, collectively.

Love Crabtree's blocking and catching. He does get open, and he was one of my favorite players, but I can't ignore that he's been hurt and this year was ineffective. We can't afford to keep him with Patton and Ellington waiting in the wings. They are promising players who deserve a shot. If we draft any speed guy, we should target Devin Smith of Ohio State.
Share 49ersWebzone