LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

What were the philosophical differences between Jed and Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What were the philosophical differences between Jed and Harbaugh?

• thl408
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by captveg:
Jed said it in the KNBR interview: "football philosophies". It was the offense.

I think the offense had a lot to do with it. Maybe the FO wanted more of a passing offense as opposed to the power run?

In the press conference, Jed made it a point to say that Harbs focused on offense and was more hands off on defense. Also, he was a great teacher of the QBs only.

Jim didn't do jack with the defense. That is All Fangio.

--------------------------------------------------
-Q: Let's talk about your relationship with Harbaugh from that year at Stanford to now… Has that evolved over time or is it pretty much the same as it was from the start?

-FANGIO: It's pretty much the same. Obviously now, this is our fourth year together, not our first, and we really didn't know each other other than very casually prior to me going to Stanford. So I had to learn what Jim's about, he had to learn what I'm about.

But the one thing that's never been in question between us, is we both have the same common goal and that's to win football games.

Obviously my job is to play great defense, the best we can, and he knows that, respects that. And he does everything he can to help us do that.

He's entrusted me with it, right from Day 1, and I appreciate that. He focuses all his time on the team and on the offense and leaves the defense to myself and the rest of the defensive coaches. And it's worked out good to this point.

---- From a 2013 interview
Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by captveg:
Jed said it in the KNBR interview: "football philosophies". It was the offense.

I think the offense had a lot to do with it. Maybe the FO wanted more of a passing offense as opposed to the power run?

In the press conference, Jed made it a point to say that Harbs focused on offense and was more hands off on defense. Also, he was a great teacher of the QBs only.

it has nothing to do with pass vs run (if anything, our offense fell apart because we went pass heavy instead of sticking to the run) and everything to do with the results, bottom line is the offense delivered declining results for two straight years despite adding more talent
Originally posted by thl408:

He's entrusted me with it, right from Day 1, and I appreciate that. He focuses all his time on the team and on the offense and leaves the defense to myself and the rest of the defensive coaches. And it's worked out good to this point.

I would hope that the 49ers next coach has the good sense to do the exact same thing.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Jed wants a high flying offense. Harbaugh wants to play defense and run the ball. It's clear from this year that Harbaugh and his staff couldn't put together a spread offense like Jed wants. The smart hire right now would be Kubiak but I guarantee Jed gets Gase or McDouchebag.
jim harbaught is 51 years old. jed york is 34. If im Jim, I'm not listening to a 34 year old who's never played football tell me how to run my team.
[ Edited by schmons on Dec 30, 2014 at 12:41 PM ]
Jim wants to win. Jed want to make money.
  • thl408
Originally posted by DVDA:
Jed wants a high flying offense. Harbaugh wants to play defense and run the ball. It's clear from this year that Harbaugh and his staff couldn't put together a spread offense like Jed wants. The smart hire right now would be Kubiak but I guarantee Jed gets Gase or McDouchebag.

If you truly believe this, then you need to jump on the Fire Baalke Train. A GM needs to know who he is hiring when he makes his HC hire. If Baalke thought he was going to get a "high flying offense" when he hired Jim, then Baalke is a dumbass.

If you truly believe this, then you need to jump on the Fire Baalke Train. A GM needs to know who he is hiring when he makes his HC hire. If Baalke thought he was going to get a "high flying offense" when he hired Jim, then Baalke is a dumbass.

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet neither Jed nor Baalke give a rip what KIND of offense we run as long as it's "arrow up" and above 24th and 25th in points in back-to-back years.
Originally posted by schmons:
jim harbaught is 51 years old. jed york is 34. If im Jim, I'm not listening to a 34 year old who's never played football tell me how to run my team.

Age is irrelevant when said younger person is your boss. Try the "you're younger than me and therefore not entitled to an opinion" line with any of superiors and let us know how that goes.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I would hope that the 49ers next coach has the good sense to do the exact same thing.

Certainly this. I'd be elated if I became a Niner coaching knowing I don't even need to TOUCH the defense. LOL

Good luck telling your boss that and still keep your job, that you under performed.
Originally posted by baltien:

Age is irrelevant when said younger person is your boss. Try the "you're younger than me and therefore not entitled to an opinion" line with any of superiors and let us know how that goes.

you think Jim would care about that? Highly doubt it. This ain't a regular corporate work place. Jed needs an adviser that knows what he is doing, someone everyone will respect.
How about a bit of "All of the Above" as an option? This is probably a case of "which straw broke the Camel's back" more than any one thing. In time, more info will leak out, but too early to tell at this point.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

Exactly. I'd be willing to bet neither Jed nor Baalke give a rip what KIND of offense we run as long as it's "arrow up" and above 24th and 25th in points in back-to-back years.

Like you said, just an arrow up, competent offense that utilizes its weapons. Demanding Jim to design and teach a high powered passing attack, with a green QB, is like hiring Mike Martz to design and execute a power rushing attack with an underpowered Oline. I'm pretty sure it's not the case of Jed/Baalke wanting a prolific passing attack. Baalke knew what he was getting at first with Jim in 2011. What he didn't see was the lack of improvement and production in the young offensive players that would haunt the offense in the following years.

Remember when Baalke said things like gotta use the width of the field.
------------------------
Q: Yesterday, you said you need to stretch a field vertically and horizontally. You hear a lot of stretch a field vertically. When you say horizontally, what do you mean?

Baalke: "53 yards, use it all. That's all you're blessed with, right? 53 yards. So, you use all 53 yards and you stretch them out. And then you do what you can vertically to stretch them out that way. And the team's that throw the ball well historically are team's that know how to get all 53 yards in play. If you only use 37 yards of it, you're probably not going to be as effective as the team's that can use 53."

http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/5/10/5705942/trent-baalk-2014-nfl-draft-49ers-draft-picks-transcript (2014 Interview)
----------------------

A jab at Jim? GM crossing over into coaching territory?

Agism aside... you (as Jim) wouldn't be running "your" team. You would be hired to run his team. Like it or not, boss is boss. Agist attitudes would only further the progress towards your firing.
Share 49ersWebzone