LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

What were the philosophical differences between Jed and Harbaugh?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What were the philosophical differences between Jed and Harbaugh?

• All22
  • Veteran
The crux of the problem is that Harbaugh>Baalke>York in terms of responsibility for creating a winning team yet the chain of power goes York>Baalke>Harbaugh.

York isn't content with having a winning team but Harbaugh getting all the credit. He wanted to put his stamp on thjngs... like Eddie D, Al Davis, or Jerry Jones. That's why we have a stadium in Santa Clara that caters to all his Silicon Valley friends instead of a opponent scaring black hole that other teams are afraid to play in like the packers have in Lambeau.

Does anyone think if York owned the packers that they'd still be in Green Bay?
I think it's pretty clear Harbaugh wanted to be the highest paid NFL coach, AND his hardheadedness on offense...

We tried to lock him up before the season started, he turned down the offer(s). So... obviously, he wasn't happy with the money he was offered.

Square peg round hole Roman and Kap sealed the deal, really.
  • rrx1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Jim Harbaugh understands football at its most fundamental level, and York does not.

Harbaugh's offense centered on controlling the clock and minimizing turnovers. His special teams strategy had to do with winning the field position battle.

He did not give a damn about passing yards, fantasy football stats, or selling merch. He cared about winning games, and devised an offense that played the percentages to do exactly that.

York wants passing yards, passing TDs, fantasy football superstars, and a marketable brand. Jed wants s**t he can sell. Harbaugh wanted to win.

Therein lie the " philosophical differences."

Well said...A team works as a collective unit.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Might be THE article of the year. A must-read for real Niner fans.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jim-harbaugh-is-a-college-coach-through-and-through-which-means-jed-york-was-right-about-it-being-mutual/

Wow! Good stuff. Very balanced and very well detailed.

I hope both sides take the time to read it.
Very good read, seems like a big clash of big egos, by both Jedi and JH.
Its this faulty conservative play not to lose offense. Or it could be that Jim figured losing the Super Bowl to his brother deserved a raise and Jed figured that the Niners NEVER lose Super Bowls to inferior teams!
This is my take on the situation....

Jim turned around the franchise faster than ANYONE expected.... 2 4th quarter fumbles by Kyle Williams away from going to the Super Bowl in year 1 and losing the Super Bowl in year 2... Jed wanted to see the next step, expectations were high. Year 3 we lose to Seattle in the NFC championship game... Jed saw 3 opportunities by JH as failed opportunities while the 49ersfaithful were just pleased to be an elite and competitive franchise again....

Jim, Trent and Jed had conversations after the 2013-2014 season, a realistic conversation about where our window was to win a Super Bowl and NOT winning the big game... Harbaugh knew he deserved more credit than Trent and Jed were giving, and the relationship starts to crumble...

2014 begins the trade rumor to Cleveland and in house distractions by players and the media... Jim knew he had leverage because he was hearing A LOT about teams wanting to bring him in to change their franchise or program around... Jim basically threw up his middle finger to the front office, but unfortunately, injuries started to accumulate, Kaepernick took a step back, and BOOM...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Maybe, they just didn't like each other.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Maybe, they just didn't like each other.

I can live with that and I am sure they could have as well but what I can't live with is our offensive tendencies and failures when this past season our defense played their a$$es off throughout all of the injury and suspension adversities
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I can live with that and I am sure they could have as well but what I can't live with is our offensive tendencies and failures when this past season our defense played their a$$es off throughout all of the injury and suspension adversities

That's all on Harbaugh. He could have told Roman to run the ball more, when they were opening up the offense early in the season.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Might be THE article of the year. A must-read for real Niner fans.

http://www.bayareasportsguy.com/jim-harbaugh-is-a-college-coach-through-and-through-which-means-jed-york-was-right-about-it-being-mutual/

Wow! Good stuff. Very balanced and very well detailed.

I hope both sides take the time to read it.

I think the writer failed to realize that when an offense in the NFL plays not to lose instead of playing to win, that offense essentially loses in the end. It was good enough offense to let the defense get us to 3 straight NFCCG and a superbowl appearance but was never gonna be good enough to win it all.

Specials teams regressed substatially since 2011 and was downright terrible this year. What happens if Harbaugh got that extension and the defense takes a nose dive in a couple of years coupled with poor ST play? There goes Harbaugh's winning formula.

The only way to have long term success in this league is to put up more points then your opponent. I don't care how good your defense is. If the offense can't score points, chances are all those close wins you had in the first few years start to turn into losses later down the road. Isn't this what was happening before our very eyes?
Let's not forget that a professional sport team is first and foremost a billionaire's toy. I'm sure they want to win championships with them, but if they aren't having fun, they probably rather go with less victories while having more fun.

And clearly, Jed wasn't having any fun dealing with Harbaugh.

Which is a damn shame for us plebeian fans
[ Edited by Draelmar on Jan 1, 2015 at 11:41 PM ]
Originally posted by Draelmar:
Let's not forget that a professional sport team is first and foremost a billionaire's toy. I'm sure they want to win championships with them, but if they aren't having fun, they probably rather go with less victories while having more fun.

And clearly, Jed wasn't having any fun dealing with Harbaugh.

Which is a damn shame for us plebeian fans

I would argue that Jed is even more of a 49ers fan than any of us can ever be. He was raised in this thing just as I was except he could smell it. This ain't some new toy for Jed. This is what he has lived since he was old enough to comprehend. He understands that winning Super Bowls is the only thing that matters. All or nothing every year. Almost doesn't count!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
English, can you move this thread to the NFL thread? Harbaugh is no longer a Niner, so it makes little sense to have this in Niner Talk.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 2, 2015 at 1:03 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
English, can you move this thread to the NFL thread? Harbaugh is no longer a Niner, so it makes little sense to have this in Niner Talk.

Well, he isn't in the NFL either! I think the thread has run its course, though. Harbaugh has gone.
Share 49ersWebzone