There are 206 users in the forums

Poll: Was firing Harbs the right decision?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Poll: Was firing Harbs the right decision?

Originally posted by theduke85:
I don't know. I'm upset he's gone, but winning is not the only thing that matters. If there truly were toxic relationships and a major rift, then something had to be done -- eventually it's going to be detrimental to the team. Harbaugh has a bad reputation, so it's hard to absolve him of blame or give him the benefit of the doubt. If he really was so hard-headed that the strain became insufferable, then I can sympathize with the front office/ownership.

I've worked with people who are great at their jobs but are hard to deal with. Production is not the only thing that matters. It's the most important, but it's not the only factor.

Pretty much how I feel. Very disappointed the relationship didn't work out. Harbs is a very good coach, but when there is animosity between HC and management, it's going to hurt team performance eventually. We saw it happen this year, and was only going to get worse. I've also seen it happen in the business world.

We didn't miss the playoffs because of injuries, or media distractions. We missed the playoffs because the most important people in the organization were working as individuals, instead of as a team. You can't sustain success that way. A change had to happen.
No. Firing a proven winner was ignorant and arrogant. Why not let him finish his contract and give him one more shot at winning it all.
I'm disgusted by the decision and I'll be shocked if they find someone that can replace him.

#WHO's BETTER THAN HARBAUGH??? WHO???
Maybe just maybe Jim didn't want to be here anymore either. Michigan has always been his dream job. I am sure he will take his High school OC with him there and hopefully it works out for them. By the way he wasn't fired they agreed to disagree (roman) and they chose to part ways and let Harbaugh pick his next gig. They very well could have played hard ball and just traded him to Raiders,Jets,Chicago or another team and called it good.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Only if the next hire is as good or better than harbs.
Originally posted by kemp_j:
No. Firing a proven winner was ignorant and arrogant. Why not let him finish his contract and give him one more shot at winning it all.
I'm disgusted by the decision and I'll be shocked if they find someone that can replace him.

#WHO's BETTER THAN HARBAUGH??? WHO???

The real question is who is better than a Fangio-less Harbaugh?...
Add me to the 'wait and see' bucket please :)
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
The real question is who is better than a Fangio-less Harbaugh?...

I really believe Fangio is the heart and soul of the coaching staff. He's like the NE Patriots of defense ie plug and play the players and they all seem to work out just fine. You can't say the same with a Harbaugh influenced offense.

I'll repeat what I said about Harbaugh. As a head coach, Harbaugh is a 10....very few are better. But when dealing with Jim Harbaugh, you also get his ugly twin sister which is Jim's unrelenting grip on the offense. As an offensive mind, Harbaugh is a 6. So you blend them together, and you get an 8. When combined with a very good defense, this will win you a lot of football games but you'll drive the GM and management crazy because they see that ugly 6 score and they'll (rightfully so) see so much room for improvement.

Much of this falls back onto Harbaugh. All he had to do is admit he's no Bill Walsh and hand over the offense to a Baalke approved OC and we have a recipe for long term success. But Jim Harbaugh is Jim Harbaugh. He won't waiver on this issue so he's no longer with the 49ers.
he didnt get fired
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The poll on SJ Mercury News currently has 92% of respondents think Jed f**ked up.

Deadspin has a headline: "The 49ers Are f**king Stupid."

Jed is, figuratively speaking, getting taken to the woodshed.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
he didnt get fired

Actually, they may tell you that he didn't get fired....but he got fired.
Originally posted by kray28:
The poll on SJ Mercury News currently has 92% of respondents think Jed f**ked up.

How many of us fans could sit thru another season of a Harbaugh/Roman based offense? If I saw any more slow developing run plays, play clocks running down to zero, almost complete breakdown in passing routes/pass blocking etc, I think I'd throw a brick thru my tv.
Actually, they may tell you that he didn't get fired....but he got fired.

All sides took the high road. But he got fired....

that's a given. Most people have only been fans for 4 years, so they don't see any better.
Originally posted by SJniner7:
that's a given. Most people have only been fans for 4 years, so they don't see any better.

Go back 4 years and the Niners were the Gold Standard in our division. The Hawks/Cards/Rams built their teams to stop the Niners. A good coaching staff however is one step ahead of the competition and will make adjustments to counter. Harbaugh/Roman never did. Again, going back to my analogy of looking in the mirror on Mondays. All it would have taken is for Jim to say, "I'm in over my head. I'll do as Brother John did and fire my offensive coordinator and get some help." Never happened............
[ Edited by pete98146 on Dec 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone