There are 247 users in the forums

Should a Head Coach have the final say on personnel and the 9ers may have the wrong model?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Should a Head Coach have the final say on personnel and the 9ers may have the wrong model?

Originally posted by Rascal:
I agree. I don't think Baalke can survive many more AJ Jenkins, LMJ and Vance McDonald type incidents.

What if the opposite happens and Baalke begins to look like a much better GM because he's not being pressured into picking bad players. Then what...............
Don't see Baalke giving up players/personnel decision to the next HC. Maybe he will let the HC have the coaching staff decisions. Seems like right now he's making the coaching staff decision by 'talking to them about their situation'
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Don't see Baalke giving up players/personnel decision to the next HC. Maybe he will let the HC have the coaching staff decisions. Seems like right now he's making the coaching staff decision by 'talking to them about their situation'

He's basically telling most of the offensive staff to GTFO. I'm sure whoever the new coach is will be able to decide who they want on their staff.
There seemed to be more offensive players that didn't pan out than defensive players in the draft. And by most, the defensive coaching staff on this team is much better than the offensive side. Maybe Baalke making bad picks on offense is because of bad input from the offensive staff. I can't see Baalke making draft picks solely on his own. Must have some sort of input/confirmation of talent by both side of the ball.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 29, 2014 at 9:43 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's basically telling most of the offensive staff to GTFO. I'm sure whoever the new coach is will be able to decide who they want on their staff.

I hope he will ask Rathman to stay in his position.

This is why we either get a very old HC that doesn't want the extra stress of worrying about personnel or we go with a young HC that is happy to get an opportunity.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
What if the opposite happens and Baalke begins to look like a much better GM because he's not being pressured into picking bad players. Then what...............

LOL. We will soon find out in May, won't we ?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Of course he won't, plus Jed York believes in the traditional model anyway. But,the discussion is about which model may be better. With the 9ers, it will never happen unless Jed changes his mind and may be if and when Baalke is no longer the GM.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Can you link why you keep saying Carroll has complete control over personnel?
Originally posted by Rascal:
LOL. We will soon find out in May, won't we ?

NFL draft in May......f**king Goodell............

Originally posted by Janitor:
Can you link why you keep saying Carroll has complete control over personnel?

Because he has the final say, on drafting, trading and signing players. Peyton and Belichick both have the same power.
  • thl408
No. The HC should not have the final say. Coaches look at game film during the season and gameplan for next Sunday's opponent. GMs work with the scouting department to create the draft board. Once the season is over, the HC can provide his input and the GM must consider it, but it's the GM's responsibility to use his knowledge and resources to make the picks/signings/trades.

It's the GM's responsibility to hire a HC that he can get along with with respect to player personnel. That shares the GM's vision of how the team should be built and how it sets out to win football games. So that at the very least, they agree on the type of players the team needs to acquire. If the GM wants to be a power running team, but goes out and hires a pass happy HC, then the GM has failed and any disputes regarding player personnel is the fault of the GM. He should know what he's getting when he makes a HC hire. As a HC earns clout in the NFL, he can start to expect more say in personnel decisions, but it should never be the HC having the final say. There are exceptions here and there around the league, but that's not the norm and that's not the model I'd want the 49ers to have.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

This is why we either get a very old HC that doesn't want the extra stress of worrying about personnel or we go with a young HC that is happy to get an opportunity.

This so called extra stress can come in different forms, it could just as easily come from the GM say not drafting the right picks or signing the right free agents when the HC will have to work with those players.
Baalke got burned by allowing Dinglebary to draft Taylor Mays. Wonder if Baalke didn't like letting JH get Kap.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Baalke got burned by allowing Dinglebary to draft Taylor Mays. Wonder if Baalke didn't like letting JH get Kap.

I think LaMichael James was Harbaugh's pick with his admiration of LMJ with Oregon across from Harbaugh's Stanford. I don't think Baalke would have grade/pick LMJ at 2nd or 3rd.
Share 49ersWebzone