There are 273 users in the forums

San Diego Chargers coaches film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great breakdowns as always! Keep up the great work
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Thanks for all TH1408 and Jonydel and other whom contribute to his site.
  • thl408
Later on the same drive (from post #14, first drive of 2nd half). After a 7 yard catch on 3rd & 9, the 49ers decide to go for it on 4th down.

3Q 4th & 2
49ers look to roll Kap right and flood the right side of the field.
SD: cover1
Notice the slot CB on Boldin and how he is aligned, shaded to the outside of Boldin.

Boldin has a hard time releasing into his Out route because he runs into the CB playing with an outside shade. Patton stems inside to set up a break to the outside. Patton draws the attention of the deep safety (blue). Neither Boldin or Patton are open. Boone and MMartin, both were sustaining their double team block. Boone is about to let the block go thinking MMartin had it under control.

Boone lets the block go. MMartin cannot sustain the block and the defender puts applies pressure, which forces Kap to pull the ball down, tuck and run. Lloyd has inside position on the backside deep crossing pattern. With the deep safety (blue) removed from the center of the field, there's a chance for Lloyd to earn a target - had Kap been given time.

Sacked for -2.
Originally posted by thl408:
First offensive play of the game.
1Q 1st & 10
49ers try to get a horizontal stretch at the LB level by flooding the strongside Flat and Hook zones.
SD: cover3

Miller's route takes the curl/flat defender (blue) to the flats. Boldin and VD will horizontally stretch orange. Kap is mid windup targeting Boldin.

+11 yards

Man, if he would have thrown to Gore, frank would have had some nice blockers in front of him.
Just one play from the 2nd half before I stop for a bit.

After a 3 and out by the SD offense. The 49ers get the ball.

1st & 10 - Gore run for +1.

3Q 2nd & 9
With the 49ers running game humming along from 1st half success, the 49ers look to get a chunk play by using playaction. Two man route.
SD: cover 1 man with 5 man pressure (I think)

After playaction and completing his dropback, Kap looks up to see this. Miller whiffs on blitz pickup and there is a free rusher on Kap up the middle.

Once the CB on Patton is seen playing over the top and bailing, that should immediately tell Kap to red light Patton. Had Kap quickly red lighted Patton, he could have seen Boldin running open. The free rusher forces Kap to roll out and throw the ball away. The pressure was probably too quick and I'm too harsh. Or perhaps Kap could have taken a hit to make a play. Either way, wasted chance at a chunk play because Miller can't pick up the blitz.

The drive would result in a failed 4th & 2 attempt.

Sheesh, even with a rusher coming at him, this is an easy read. Both Boldin and Patten have single coverage once that FS comes down. Should have let it rip to Patten because of the speed. I understand it was a play action but once Kap turned around and saw the safety coming down, he should have let it rip.
  • thl408
49ers defense would force another 3 and out to get the ball back to the offense.

1st & 10 - Boldin +2 yard catch
2nd & 8 - Iso play. Miller loses on his block at the point of attack and Gore is stuffed for no gain.

3rd & 8
49ers: Basic clear by Ellington for VD to work his Out route. Drive concept by Boldin + Patton over the middle.
SD: cover1. (4 rushers, 5 in man coverage, 1 deep safety, 1 extra defender). With the extra defender, they choose to double team Boldin.

Kap completes his dropback and looks to VD. This is the correct read as VD has outside leverage for his Out route. Kap does not pull the trigger. I think VD did not get enough separation for Kap to feel comfortable with a throw. If Kap wants to target VD, now is the time to do it - before VD enters his break in the route.

Kap instead targets Patton on the Drag and over throws Patton. Not that Patton would have converted anyway had he caught the ball with the DB attacking downhill.

Notice how rounded VD's route is. This isn't an easy route for a big TE to run. This kind of route versus man coverage needs to be crisp in order to create good separation. Incomplete. Punt.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Joecool:
Sheesh, even with a rusher coming at him, this is an easy read. Both Boldin and Patten have single coverage once that FS comes down. Should have let it rip to Patten because of the speed. I understand it was a play action but once Kap turned around and saw the safety coming down, he should have let it rip.

That would have been the ultra aggressive throw (to Patton). I was thinking once he saw Patton originally covered, quickly look at Boldin's intermediate crosser. That would earned a quick target. There's only two routes here so there aren't many progressions to go through. But I see your point.
  • thl408
Trailing 28-7 in the middle of the 3Q, SD feels the need to go for it on 4th down.

3Q 4th & 5

49ers: cover0 (7 man pressure)
Rivers gives a hard count and the 49ers reveal their hand, that a blitz is coming. Rivers calls for 7 man protection and understands he will most likely see man coverage. The two routes to his left are designed to produce a pick (rub route) and bust man coverage.

The blitz is picked up with no unblocked rushers. Rivers is mid windup just as yellow enters his break in the route. Dahl with inside leverage on an outside breaking route (Correct technique. With no safety for help, Dahl can't give up the middle of the field).

Black and white for a smaller gif. Notice the hard count and how Rivers audibles to give himself 7 man protection. SD would go on to score a TD on the drive.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Breakdown after watching the film....We suck.
  • thl408
The 49ers get the ball back after SD's TD drive to close the lead to 28-14.

3Q 2nd & 10
A screen pass! +4 yards. At least it wasn't a complete fail.

3Q 2nd & 10
we saved it for the right time
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

3Q 2nd & 10
we saved it for the right time

That was on Iupati. He makes that block and Alfonso is is up field and closing in on a first down.

3Q 2nd & 10

Why Smith not Gore?

Infuriating to me that Roman refuses to use Gore as a receiver or outside runner.
[ Edited by znk916 on Dec 24, 2014 at 9:08 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JDMathews49ers:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Can someone post the 3rd down play before San Diego's final drive??

Kaep vows to be better next year, so please, somehow send him the play and let him start with learning NOT to run out of bounce when we are trying to run out the clock..

This is one of the reason why I stated that Harbaugh had babied this Miami Dolphin Fan QB of ours... Instead of chewing Kaep's air minded mis-managing time, he continues to just looked passed him..

Please also tweet Kaep the fact that if he can not run for a first down, that he should STAY IN BOUND!!! damnnnn...

Seriously, that's all you want to point out? A play that should have never even been called.

sometimes, it's those plays "that shoulda never even been called" are the biggest game changers...

the point I'm making here is that, on that play alone, tells you how lost Kaep as a QB is... and yet, no one in the sideline pointed that out to him...
ADavis' run blocking is in another world compared to JMart's run blocking. The 49ers ripped off several nice runs to the right side of the formation and ADavis played a role in that all night.

1Q 1st & 10
49ers: Power right

Key blocks by VD, ADavis, Miller, Boldin, and Iupati.

+52 yards

Can we give staley a shout out as well. He runs 50 yards down field to block 2 people. Staley started this year slow but he has come around to be his normal top 5 LT self. He'll have his lapses every now and then but he overall is one of the best.
Share 49ersWebzone