LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 197 users in the forums

Winding down the Harbaugh era...... Trust me the sky won't fall...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Corners, corners, corners, and more corners! New nose tackle, corners, Oline.. Center.. Big fast Wr.. corners, corners. House arrest Aldo smith. Give Baalke a good ol kick in the Keister if he drafts another acl freak accident.
Originally posted by pho_t_9er:
Corners, corners, corners, and more corners! New nose tackle, corners, Oline.. Center.. Big fast Wr.. corners, corners. House arrest Aldo smith. Give Baalke a good ol kick in the Keister if he drafts another acl freak accident.

The secondary is fine, especially when people are healthy. Dontae Johnson looked good at times, Wards will hopefully be fully healthy, Brock will be healthy, hopefully they can bring back Cox or Culliver. You have Acker and Reaser that will both be fighting for spots as well. Chris Cook might return after his injury. The only real area of need I see in the secondary is a quality backup safety. Dahl is a nice special teams player but that is really all he is. Unless they shift Ward back to safety, they need someone who can come in and play decently if Reid or Bethea are out.

No, the team doesn't need another center. Kilgore was doing a good job before he got injured, Martin is highly talented but very raw, people knew this coming in, he was expected to need a season or two to acclimate to the NFL before becoming a full time starter. As long as both he and Kilgore are healthy, the 49ers are set at center.

They could use another playmaker at WR or at the least a major speed upgrade. Patton and Ellington both need more snaps and Crabtree can finally have his dream of playing for the Cowboys.
Originally posted by bayareafanatic1:
We are coming to the end of an era. The Harbaugh era. Way more good than bad. But that's going to be the case when you take over a team that had been a perennial loser. Jim rose this team from the ashes. He made mistakes along the way, but we overlooked them because we were winning. We overlooked an offense that had redzone issues. We overlooked an offense that had a low 3rd down conversion rate. We overlooked a system that had issues getting plays in on time, creating delay of game penalties. We overlooked a passing system that lacked creativity. We overlooked all of these things because we were winning in spite of these issues.

We have been very lucky the last couple of years in regards to injuries. This year we were greatly affected. Baalke's value showed in the defensive depth that we had. Players like Borland, Quintin Dial and Tank Carradine and Parish Cox. Where Baalke failed though was on the offensive side of the ball. Offensive line injuries and lack of depth killed our year. It's never a good idea to have an offensive lineman that left his last team because he was being bullied. Jonathan Martin just doesn't belong on an NFL roster. Lack of speed at RB and WR took away our offensive effectiveness. Given our lack of speed and an offensive line that ranked 27th in pass protection, it was critical this year more than any to stick to our identity. Running the ball. Instead the coaches forced Kaepernick to not run, to sit in the pocket and tilt the balance towards throwing the football. This more than any other detail is why Roman and Harbaugh should be let go this year.

I must reiterate, for those that are screaming for the 49ers to retain Harbaugh, he lost his team. You don't lead the NFL in arrests. You don't have Culliver and his brass knuckles, or Aldon and his bomb threat or Brooks sitting and benching himself. You don't have Vernon quitting on your team go unpunished. You don't show up with an unprepared team on Thanksgiving. You can't be among league leaders in first half scoring and dead last in 2nd half scoring because you fail to make adjustments to the half time adjustments that were made against you. You don't misguide your QB to mirror your unprofessional attitude in post game pressers. The players quit believing in him. The final straw if you don't believe me, When was the last time you heard, "who's got it better than us"? However, given all of this, injuries, mistakes, missteps, we would be in the playoffs had we just stuck to our identity and run the ball.

Our team quit on Singletary because they quit believing in him as a coach. The exact thing is happening to Harbaugh now. I only see one scenario in which Harbaugh could stay, If he fired Roman and brought in a more dynamic offensive mind to run the offense. We all know that won't happen, Jim's ego won't allow it.

Bayareafanatic
Everything you wrote is spot-on!

As the saying goes, love is blind, and it seems so many here in the Webzone love Harbaugh so much that they are willing to look past his shortcomings regarding this football team. You nailed a lot of key points, especially the clock management issues, and Red Zone issues. The failure to make second half adjustments this season has really infuriated me to the point that I really don't want Harbaugh to stick around because he is too pig-headed to correct his own issues.

The NFL is about evolving and changing, and Harbaugh just can't or won't do that. When he first arrived in the NFL, his style was different than most other coaches and teams. However, he was quickly figured out, and didn't make the necessary adjustments to keep other teams guessing. It was rather telling when Craig Dahl came to the 49ers from the Rams, and he mentioned that the Rams defense was able to figure out Harbaugh's offense because various offensive alignments and personnel packages gave away the play. To me, that should have been a clue to mix up and disguise things on offense. Not so with Mr. Harbaugh. It seems like his philosophy - and maybe Roman's too - is to keep banging his head against the wall with the hope the wall will eventually crumble down.

My hopes of Harbaugh resurrecting Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense have been shattered into a million pieces. It seems he used the WCO somewhat when Alex Smith was his quarterback, and now that Kaepernick is starting, I don't see any resemblance of the WCO, or even an effective offense for that matter. To wrap up, I believe Trent Baalke has provided Harbaugh with the players to make an outstanding football team, yet, for whatever reason, Harbaugh has failed to properly utilize that talent. I will not lay the whole blame for this season at Harbaugh's feet; I also blame some of the players for their lack of focus, will, and work ethic. My wish is that whoever becomes the next 49ers head coach should be creative and innovative enough on offense to take advantage of the talent currently on this roster.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
We need what we needed last year. A physical difference maker on the dline. Stud outside corner. Baalke whiffed on these needs to get value at other positions. Please focus this year. Also a second third round qb project.
I think we'll be fine and relevant for the next 5-6 years. We just need to:

1. Fix our O-Line
2. Continue to work with Kapernikus on his QB play
3. Continue to reinforce and upgrade our defense
Originally posted by trevorontario:
Absolutely critical we find a new Head Coach that can convince Fangio to stay so we are only having to re-tool one side of the ball we need the consistency on defense if we are to return to the playoffs in 2015
I hate seeing Harbaugh leave but I hope Roman is carrying his bags out the door

Folks,
Fangio was and is our best coach. No doubt. But remember, players play. None and I repeat, none of our coaches were perfect this year. Fangio included. Fangio IMO played a huge part in losing the Bears game. How many times were you going to leave a rookie ( Ward ) guarding Marshal and giving up 6 inches in height? I guess the answer is, long enough to give up three TD's.

I was at the Denver game. It's proven that the way to beat Payton Manning is to press his receivers and disrupt their timing. We never pressed all game. I love Fangio and he really pulled a rabbit out of his hat this season, but those two losses had his fingerprints on them.
Originally posted by genus49:
Baalke led one draft before Harbaugh came in. The one Singletary must have pick that year was traded shortly after.

Aldon Smith drafted, Donte Whitner brought in via FA, Ray McDonald starting, Navorro starting, Carlos Rogers brought in. Alex Boone starting at RG over Rachal, Jon Goodwin brought in.

All those things happened before Harbaugh coached his first NFL game with the niners. All key contributors to his winning.

Let's not pretend like he took over a 2-14 team with no talent or strong foundation to work with.

Besides it's all about what you've done lately. Keeping guys around because of what they did a few years ago is a great way to lose more and more games.

Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
If everyone is healthy next season, or at least healthier, with an average of better head coach this is still a playoff team. Way too much talent on defense, when you've got guys like Bowman and Willis coming back, Dorsey and Williams, hopefully a healthy OL, some more talent added via the draft as well as the guys that were on IR this season, they'll be fine.

This is my biggest concern. This team not only had an aimless offensive approach, but the D was TORE UP. This team seriously needs to evaluate if there's anything that can be done to help avoid some of these injuries, but, personally, they all seem to stem from sheer bad luck.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The lack of adjustments has been brutal. Harbaugh is a very good coach but some people don't seem to notice that this team is being outcoached on a game by game basis, on the offensive side. The defense got beat half to death with the injury stick and they still managed to put together a pretty good unit. The offense was deeper than its ever been and they've scored less PPG than the Singletary era 49ers.

Beyond that, this team's trend of scoring less and less points as the game goes on is pretty troubling. In the 1st half they rank in the Top 10 in the NFL in scoring, in the 2nd half they are either dead last or second to last. That's horrible and suggests that while the initial gameplan may be good, once the other team adjusts, the 49ers are done.

Nice job. And you are correct. On a game by game basis we are getting out coached. Little things here and there. Mostly though we have become predictable. Very predictable. I was at the game Saturday night. I leave games with more questions than answers. The question I left with this time was, why if Patton and Ellington are our most explosive receivers did it take until the 15th game to get them any significant playing time?
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
I think you guys are giving harbaugh too much credit. He is a good coach good motivator but he inherited a very talented team and did what a head coach who never had close to any kind of coaching experience with not enough juice to get a decent coaching staff couldn't do. He will be missed but we will survive with a healthy crew and some added talent to An already talented group we will make the playoffs next year and the next
I think Jim Tomsula will be our next coach and I like Josh MCDaniels as our OC

Ahmmmm why would mcdaniels do a lateral move away from a sure thing?
The only way Josh Mcdaniels is coming over is to be the HC.
Injuries screwed up our season this year however Next season we will have back our Superbowl Calibur roster despite all the BS going on we still have a good ranked defense next season we will have great deapth at linebacker also NaVorro Bowman will be back and fresh our defense is good and top 5 defense in the NFL the problem seems to be on the offensive side with execution Colin Kaepernick needs to work on his accuracy at passing the football next season we will have a Super Bowl caliber roster back from all the injuries we had this season our defense isn't the problem Greg Roman needs to go in the 49ers all offense needs to develop a new scheme system and Colin Kaepernick needs to work on his pass accuracy we will be back and healthy next season Chris Borland and Aaron Lynch are on the rise to being great line backers along with NaVorro Bowman returning Patrick Willis Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks
Ive been a fan of the 49ers for 23 of the 28 years ive been on this planet, If the 49ers fire Jim Harbaugh I will no longer be a fan of the team period. Ill root for whatever team he's coaching, they'll be winners.

Our offensive line needs to stay healthy next season we have to try our best to avoid injuries like I said we have great death and are linebackers when they come back healthy next season Vic Fangio is a great defensive coordinator and our defense is not a problem it's on the other side of the ball and it starts with getting rid of Greg Roman And Colin Kaepernick stepping up his passing accuracy And our offensive line staying strong and healthy and blocking And playing physical
So you were a Niners fan but are no longer because you have a hard on for Jim Harbaugh? Thanks for playing the bandwagon game, hope to see you again when we're winning.
Originally posted by Niners99:
We had the talent before Harbaugh. We had Baalke in a prominent role before Harbaugh. We had the York's before Harbaugh. We were losers. Perennial under-achievers who caused us to jump for joy over an 8 win season.

Harbaugh shows up, were SB contenders.

Harbaugh leaves? Guess whats coming back? The losing. You dont lose an ELITE coach and not notice it. Its like the Broncos replacing Manning with Osweiler. You can say "same offense, Osweiler knows how to run it too". You think the Broncos wouldnt notice the change?

Moving on from Harbaugh is an ENORMOUS mistake, and most fans wont realize it until hes gone. Somehow, some way, this organization finds a way to lose. We make the same stupid mistakes over and over again.

Harbaugh has been a HC twice previously. Both of the teams won at the same rate for at least 2 years after he left. In both cases, when they started losing it was attributed to diminished talent, not scheme/strategy (due to either less effective recruiting or injury). We don't have to worry about that. Baalke will keep the talent coming in, and the NFL is not driven by recruiting (there's this draft thing). We'll be fine next year.
I feel our defense will be top ranked in the NFL next season We will have a good pass rush with Aldon Smith and Aaron Lynch. NaVorro Bowman Patrick Willis will be back and Chris Borland it's on the rise to being a star linebacker And Aaron Lynch On the rise to being a great pass rusher So our defense will be fine are Offense need a new Offensive coordinator And scheme system for next season
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
I WAS ON HARBAUGH'S JOCK BUT HE'S BEEN TOTALLY CHECKED OUT THIS YEAR. DEION WAS RIGHT, JOE STALEY WAS RIGHT. THE SCHEMING AND LACK OF ADJUSTMENTS AND AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL CLOCK MANAGEMENT/ILLEGAL FORMATIONS AND LACK OF IDENTITY. FOR ME I WANT A WHOLE HOUSE CLEANING. I WANT A NEW ENTIRE COACHING STAFF AND NEW GM WHO DOESN'T PUT EMPHASIS ON ACL DRAFTEES. MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH ALL THIS REDSHIRTING CRAP???? HOW THE HELL DOES SEATTLE FIND A LUKE WILLSON IN THE 5TH ROUND AND YET HIS COLLEGE TEAMEATE VANCE MAC 2ND ROUNDER FUMBLES AND BUMBLES?

THIS NEEDS A NEW HOUSE CLEANING. START WITH A NEW TEAM PRESIDENT THEN A NEW GM AND THEN A NEW COACH.

Share 49ersWebzone